• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

But they lack a wave guide, so ASR will hate them. ;)
Good, that means they won't sell out before I save up!

Waveguides are old hat- they'll be out of fashion faster than a hipster beard and a kale salad.

Waveguides are old hat- they'll be out of fashion faster than a hipster beard and a kale salad.
Try telling that to Genelec :rolleyes:
It's not a trend at all.
1039A_Ctr.qtr_right.2k (1).jpg

I don't know if they're in-fashion now. They get a lot of press here because ASR likes the Harman school of speaker design.

In the burgeoning smart speaker world, they're non-existent.

My Apple Homepod omni has no waveguides visible waveguides.

Last edited:
Here is the crossover:

heritage_2.jpg

It's been decades since I built my last DIY speaker and made a passive crossover, but that looks to have more elements than I would expect in a 1st order 2 way speaker.

Perhaps a Zobel network?

Can anyone hazard a guess at the circuit?

Maybe @SIY or @Frank Dernie ?

1st order crossovers can get complex when things like impedance compensation (traps, notches, Zobels...) are added. Likewise, a lot of designers will put in some broad EQ. I remember seeing a 1st order crossover from Thiel that had like 50 components in it. If you have a photo of the rear of the board, it can be confirmed either way.

1st order crossovers can get complex when things like impedance compensation (traps, notches, Zobels...) are added. Likewise, a lot of designers will put in some broad EQ. I remember seeing a 1st order crossover from Thiel that had like 50 components in it. If you have a photo of the rear of the board, it can be confirmed either way.

Their marketing copy claims the crossover does "time alignment", but I don't see how signal delay can be done passively, unless they just really mean "phase".

I don't know if they're in-fashion now. They get a lot of press here because ASR likes the Harman school of speaker design.

In the burgeoning smart speaker world, they're non-existent.

My Apple Homepod omni has no waveguides visible waveguides.
Well, from upgrading to a genelec 8030 from a KEF X300A, the genelec at my broadcast truck sized room do have a much better sweetspot where the sound don't change much with my change in listening position, whereas those lacking a waveguide usually makes the sound differs horizontally a lot more

Well, from upgrading to a genelec 8030 from a KEF X300A, the genelec at my broadcast truck sized room do have a much better sweetspot where the sound don't change much with my change in listening position, whereas those lacking a waveguide usually makes the sound differs horizontally a lot more

Okay.

But I'm not understanding what that has to do with the question of whether waveguides are fashionable or not.

It's just fashion doing full circle as it always does. They just tweak it a bit, mention Computer Optimized, CAD or CNC in the blurb to wow the ASR crowd and then produce these really ugly looking moulded "monitors". That Genelec thing above looks like it needs to be in a darkened nightclub, mounted up above the dancefloor.

The Jamo Concert series I was selling in 1991 were using waveguides in their top models (the concert II, concert V and concert VII).

Phase plugs are also wave guides and have been used forever for directivity control. The JBL L300 Summit had waveguides in 1978. The 077 ring radiator, just like the infinity EMIT was rotated for the correct dispersion characteristics depending on orientation.

The 1982 JBL-L250/ later the L250Ti (044Ti tweeter) has the tweeter sitting proud of the baffle surface within a rounded semi-pod to control dispersion (guiding waves) and non-equal spacing set from offset rounded sides to control diffraction.

Baffles have been angled, chamfered and routed for decades to control dispersion/diffraction.

Last edited:
Amir should stop measuring speakers. Everyone just buy 3-6 of those to fill a room / house and be done.

I actually do kinda wish they'd make larger versions with more power. Though Apple's stubbornness about good integration with non-Apple music services makes it less than ideal, I've heard.

Here is the crossover:

heritage_2.jpg

It's been decades since I built my last DIY speaker and made a passive crossover, but that looks to have more elements than I would expect in a 1st order 2 way speaker.

Perhaps a Zobel network?

Can anyone hazard a guess at the circuit?

Maybe @SIY or @Frank Dernie ?
All older Dynaudio models which had electrical first order crossovers had several more RLC components to make those work like impedance adaptations and suction circuits so above is not surprise.
Real minimalistic crossovers are rather found at newer B&Ws which obviously shows also in their measurements. ;)

I actually do kinda wish they'd make larger versions with more power. Though Apple's stubbornness about good integration with non-Apple music services makes it less than ideal, I've heard.
You have to use Apple music streaming for full function.
I went fully Apple when I retired but this is too much even for me (I already won't have anything Microsoft or Google)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom