• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

soundArgument

Patreon Donor
I posted an updated image of my now-tidier (and BACCH-enabled) setup above. Here's the picture for folks who don't want to go back to the original post.

soundArgument

Patreon Donor
Just checking in to see if any other members have taken delivery of their 8Cs. I remain curious about others impressions.

I'm listening to mine now, and the sound with BACCH-dSP is addictive.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Nope, still waiting... They had production delays, according to the Norwegian distributor. But they're supposed to arrive "soon"!

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
New firmware is going to be released this Monday, O I Sincerely hope you enjoy the 8Cs, I believe you will!
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Still waiting! If I'm lucky they might get delivered late this week. But probably the week after that. I will install them in an attic at my parents house, where me and the girlfriend will live for a couple of months, before moving to our new house in Oslo in mid-june. I might ask you for some advice on how you dialled in the bass using their EQ, @soundArgument .

fredoamigo

Patreon Donor

Hello everyone.......the 8c manual is really short if that's only what I saw on the dutch & dutch website....

in case of connection of the sub...how is the bass management managed? It's the 8-C soft ? I can't figure out how he can do it without a mic ?

it's been a long time since I was curious and charmed, intrigued by a pair of speakers ..;)

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
I agree that Dutch & Dutch have not given their highest priority to providing full and complete documentation in their manual or on the website.

I'm wondering, for example: Where is the app? Tried to find it on the iOS app store, but couldn't find anything...

As for bass management, @fredoamigo, it would not be possible to do that without some kind of calibration mic. Otherwise there's no way to know for the equalizer how the bass response is in your room. And bass is heavily room dependent. As far as I can understand, bass management is not automatic here. Which means that one must do measurements, and see how the bass response is in the room. Then the equalizer can be used to turn down the peaks for example. One may also use the subwoofer output to connect an extra subwoofer. Given that there's only one sub output, the best option might be to use a kind of "source-sink" approach, where a subwoofer on the opposite wall plays in opposite polarity, and cancels out disturbing modes. There's not too much information on this approach on the net, but it has gotten good results in a couple of scientific studies.

This is all that is stated in the manual on the sub output: "Various filtering and equalization options such as high– and low pass filters, peak filters, delays and phase inversion can be applied to this output".

It would be great if Dutch & Dutch created more or less automatic ways of doing those kind of things. Ideally I would like to feed my measurements into the app, and that the D&D software would then propose an automatic equalization (or a source sink setting for the subwoofer).

Will receive mine later this week, getting excited!

Last edited:

soundArgument

Patreon Donor
Still waiting! If I'm lucky they might get delivered late this week. But probably the week after that. I will install them in an attic at my parents house, where me and the girlfriend will live for a couple of months, before moving to our new house in Oslo in mid-june. I might ask you for some advice on how you dialled in the bass using their EQ, @soundArgument .
I'm no expert, but I just used the boundary adjustments in the app first and then REW, on the assumption that the Schroeder frequency in my room is 200 Hz. I dialed in numerous sub-200 Hz filters and re-measured, observing substantial improvement.

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
I agree that Dutch & Dutch have not given their highest priority to providing full and complete documentation in their manual or on the website.

I'm wondering, for example: Where is the app? Tried to find it on the iOS app store, but couldn't find anything...

As for bass management, @fredoamigo, it would not be possible to do that without some kind of calibration mic. Otherwise there's no way to know for the equalizer how the bass response is in your room. And bass is heavily room dependent. As far as I can understand, bass management is not automatic here. Which means that one must do measurements, and see how the bass response is in the room. Then the equalizer can be used to turn down the peaks for example. One may also use the subwoofer output to connect an extra subwoofer. Given that there's only one sub output, the best option might be to use a kind of "source-sink" approach, where a subwoofer on the opposite wall plays in opposite polarity, and cancels out disturbing modes. There's not too much information on this approach on the net, but it has gotten good results in a couple of scientific studies.

This is all that is stated in the manual on the sub output: "Various filtering and equalization options such as high– and low pass filters, peak filters, delays and phase inversion can be applied to this output".

It would be great if Dutch & Dutch created more or less automatic ways of doing those kind of things. Ideally I would like to feed my measurements into the app, and that the D&D software would then propose an automatic equalization (or a source sink setting for the subwoofer).

Just received our Dutch&Dutch order so hopefully very soon.
BW Keith

fredoamigo

Patreon Donor
hi
oivavoi
a French owner of 8C told me that delivery times are two months minimum... you've been waiting since when?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
a French owner of 8C told me that delivery times are two months minimum... you've been waiting since when?
More or less exactly two months :) But I do believe waiting times will be shorter from now. They had some problems with delivery of the subwoofers, and also had some hiccups with the firmware, if I understood it correctly. If both of those things have been solved I would expect production to pick up speed.