• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Wombat

Master Contributor
No, the bendy banana law is whole truth...@oivavoi just said that "We have regulations against abnormal curvature". This is true - someone actually did create such a regulation. The fact that it doesn't technically prohibit the sale of all "abnormal" bananas doesn't make it any less true.

In this article from the EU itself, the 'myth' is supposedly busted, but the great thing is that they link to the 2013 "simplified" regulation. Have a look at it!

A brief extract:

"Oenological practices..."

Maybe this is standard fare for any country or organisation with regards to import and export - I don't know. But just imagine you were a small company and had to understand it and comply with it!

'Dress-to-the-left'? Tailored sound. :rolleyes:

Cosmik

Major Contributor

pirad

me too....

First Press 1.jpeg

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very glad that the discussion here has moved back to the D&D 8Cs, away from topics such as subwoofer setup, Genelec, bananas, sodomy, and libelous accusations against @Purité Audio.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I'm very glad that the discussion here has moved back to the D&D 8Cs, away from topics such as subwoofer setup, Genelec, bananas, sodomy, and libelous accusations against @Purité Audio.
But you mentioned them all anyway...:)

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you mentioned them all anyway...:)

Thankfully, I rediscovered the ignore button, but that doesn't keep other users from seeing drivel posted by users who lack the chutzpah or competence to put some skin (or sweat) in the game and buy (or make) pathbreaking devices.

I'm listening to the replacement pair of 8Cs now. They are very impressive and, despite D&D's problems with its early production run, represent a high level of audio design and craftsmanship. They sound better, and look much better, than the Genelecs that I have heard.

(BACCH is amazing, too.)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stupid question, if I may. These 8Cs are stnadmounts. Would they give as much as dynamics as a similarly designed floorstanders?

If the question itself is invalid, please educate as appropriate.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stupid question, if I may. These 8Cs are stnadmounts. Would they give as much as dynamics as a similarly designed floorstanders?

The objectice answer is "no". A larger box would give more spl capacity. That's just the law of physics. It's still a question whether this will be audible, given that the 8Cs can play 106 db continuous down to 35 Hz at 1 m. If intended for use on a listening distance of 4 m in a very large room and on high volume, I guess it could be audible on dynamic music, and a larger box with even higher spl capacity could offer advantages. For my use, with a listening distance of 2 m in a normal room, I seriously doubt a larger box would provide any dynamic advantage. I'm probably far from ever maxing them out as it is.

Last edited:

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I dunno man. I reviewed a pair of Dynaudio 600 XD's and the woofers sounded like they were "milk carton" size compared to the double 15" JBL cabs I use. And I don't mean sheer SPL... The car engine analogy I use is there is no substitute for cubic inches. I don't know of any 4 banger that rumbles... However, I am open to having my mind changed and hoping to review a pair of @Martijn Mensink 's 8C's some day...

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno man. I reviewed a pair of Dynaudio 600 XD's and the woofers sounded like they were "milk carton" size compared to the double 15" JBL cabs I use. And I don't mean sheer SPL... The car engine analogy I use is there is no substitute for cubic inches. I don't know of any 4 banger that rumbles... However, I am open to having my mind changed and hoping to review a pair of @Martijn Mensink 's 8C's some day...

I'm not going to argue with that, in theory at least. I'm aware of the laws of physics. But the 8Cs are the first "small" speakers I've heard which nevertheless sound subjectively "big" to me. I suspect it's partly because of the extension in the deep bass, since four long throw 8-inchers and very powerful amps gets you some of the way at least. And it may partly be because of the cardioid dispersion, which simulates a larger baffle/larger woofer (that are more directional than smaller baffles and smaller woofers).

For comparison, neither the Kiis or the Dynudio 600 XDs sounded really big to my ears.

Having said that, I still think a floor standing design would offer some objective benefits. But then I wouldn't have had the space for placing them where I intend to put them when I move. They would also become quite a bit more expensive. There are always trade-offs.

Last edited:

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Cool man, that's why I would like to compare. I subjectively love "big" sound. The only way I have been able to achieve that is with big speakers. For me, small speakers sound... small. Maybe the 8C's are different...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The objectice answer is "no". A larger box would give more spl capacity. That's just the law of physics. It's still a question whether this will be audible, given that the 8Cs can play 106 db continuous down to 35 Hz at 1 m. If intended for use on a listening distance of 4 m in a very large room and on high volume, I guess it could be audible on very dynamic music (like classical), and a larger box would offer advantages. For my use, with a listening distance of 2 m in a normal room, I seriously doubt a larger box would provide any dynamic advantage. I'm probably far from ever maxing them out as it is.
Those little JBL 705’s I have do something in the bass that to me hints at the possibility of ‘large ‘ sound coming for smaller drivers than we traditionally belive possible so I find your thoughts plausible .

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool man, that's why I would like to compare. I subjectively love "big" sound. The only way I have been able to achieve that is with big speakers. For me, small speakers sound... small. Maybe the 8C's are different...

I can't predict how you would perceive them, of course. But I share your preference. My main problem with small speakers has always been that they sound small. FWIW, I don't perceive the 8Cs as "small" in their soundstage at all. Their way of throwing sound into the room actually reminds me to a certain degree of how I've perceived some good DSPed horn systems with decent bass support. But you'll just need to hear for yourself (and measure) and see how you perceive them.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm not going to argue with that, in theory at least. I'm aware of the laws of physics. But the 8Cs are the first "small" speakers I've heard which nevertheless sound subjectively "big" to me. I suspect it's partly because of the extension in the deep bass, since four long throw 8-inchers and very powerful amps gets you some of the way at least. And it may partly be because of the cardioid dispersion, which simulates a larger baffle/larger woofer (that are more directional than smaller baffles and smaller woofers).

For comparison, neither the Kiis or the Dynudio 600 XDs sounded really big to my ears.

Having said that, I still think a floor standing design would offer some objective benefits. But then I wouldn't have had the place for having them where I intend to put them when I move. They would also become quite a bit more expensive. There are always trade-offs.

They seem to me to be a small box dependent on electronic and software manipulation. The market for small boxes may benefit. 6 ft. listening distance is limiting, as is apartment listening level -areas where these new products seem at home.

I would like the 'enhanced' small box to be compared to a well designed big box, 'enhanced' or not. Has this been done?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those little JBL 705’s I have do something in the bass that to me hints at the possibility of ‘large ‘ sound coming for smaller drivers than we traditionally belive possible so I find your thoughts plausible .

Grrr... I am trying to resist moving up from the 305p mk2 to the 705p. Comments like these are making it more tempting (living room, aesthetics, so same size speakers would be preferable).

I would like the 'enhanced' small box to be compared to a well designed big box, 'enhanced' or not

That is effectively what I was asking as well. Also, when is a (regular, as in not not 'enhanced') speaker too small for a room and when is it too big for a room? In other words, is the ideal size room dependent?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And to think just a year or so back it was an Andrew Jones design that was a "had to have".
Every year or two we have another world changing small speaker.
What will be the "IT" fart box of 2020? :D

Top Bottom