• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

D

Deleted member 65

This is almost entirely wrong. Most recording and mastering studios now use analog active speakers--i.e., speakers using line-level analog crossovers. Some recording and mastering studios are switching to digital active speakers like the Kiis, D&Ds, and certain JBL and Genelec models. The era of NS-10Ms is behind us.

In the rarefied elite segment of mastering studios, many engineers use passive audiophile speakers and amps. Why? Probably because their clients are impressed by the appearance and the expense.

I was a bit surprised when I saw what monitors are used in Benny Andersson's (ABBA) studio

upload_2018-5-10_20-37-58.png

Cosmik

Major Contributor
DSP is not great where latency is an issue, either.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That girl from ABBA hasn’t aged one bit.
Keith

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was a bit surprised when I saw what monitors are used in Benny Andersson's (ABBA) studio
TAD Compact Reference One passives. Nice look, great sound.
many celebrated studios have a marketing partnership with the brands... b&w uses it a lot (abbey road )

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
They attack in pairs , your wallet will be dealt a fatal blow and your ears won’t be any happier for it..., your ego might thank you though :D

dalek__by_dtw42.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if that's for getting out.
Or how oivavoi got in? :eek:

Hehe it's for getting out in case of fire! It's a legal requirement in Norway that every floor in a building must have a way of getting out and down to the ground in case of fire. Can be cumbersome, but it's for the greater good. We also have regulations against "abnormal curvature" in bananas btw. (actually that's thanks to the EU, not to us)

pirad

Hehe it's for getting out in case of fire! It's a legal requirement in Norway that every floor in a building must have a way of getting out and down to the ground in case of fire. Can be cumbersome, but it's for the greater good. We also have regulations against "abnormal curvature" in bananas btw. (actually that's thanks to the EU, not to us)
The "bendy banana law" is half-truth half folklore.
The shape of bananas was recommended only for class 1 of the product. Class 2 allowed your banana to be any way you like it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94
Some states in the US have laws against "abnormal sex" ("sodomy") between consenting adults.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The "bendy banana law" is half-truth half folklore.
The shape of bananas was recommended only for class 1 of the product. Class 2 allowed your banana to be any way you like it.
No, the bendy banana law is whole truth...@oivavoi just said that "We have regulations against abnormal curvature". This is true - someone actually did create such a regulation. The fact that it doesn't technically prohibit the sale of all "abnormal" bananas doesn't make it any less true.

In this article from the EU itself, the 'myth' is supposedly busted, but the great thing is that they link to the 2013 "simplified" regulation. Have a look at it!

A brief extract:
Several notification obligations can be fulfilled via that system, in particular those provided for in Commission Regulations (EC) No 1731/2006 of 23 November 2006 on special detailed rules for the application of export refunds in the case of certain preserved beef and veal products (3), (EC) No 273/2008 of 5 March 2008 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 1255/1999 as regards methods for the analysis and quality evaluation of milk and milk products (4), (EC) No 566/2008 of 18 June 2008 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 as regards the marketing of the meat of bovine animals aged 12 months or less (5), (EC) No 867/2008 of 3 September 2008 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 as regards operators’ organisations in the olive sector, their work programmes and the financing thereof (6) and (EC) No 606/2009 of 10 July 2009 laying down certain detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 479/2008 as regards the categories of grapevine products, oenological practices and the applicable restrictions (7), and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 543/2011 of 7 June 2011 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 in respect of the fruit and vegetables and processed fruit and vegetables sectors (8).

"Oenological practices..."

Maybe this is standard fare for any country or organisation with regards to import and export - I don't know. But just imagine you were a small company and had to understand it and comply with it!

pirad

Mod, can you please move the bananas conversation to the proper section?;)

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Mod, can you please you move the bananas conversation to the proper section?;)
Fret not. I won't mention it again.

Top Bottom