• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Weird choice anyway.... The STA516BE is an old chip, as far as I know and If I'm not mistaken, it dates from 2014 maybe even before
Unless we injected it with a "little testosterone", I don't remember that the "Gremlins" amps sounded particularly good, at least compared to the TPA325X. (they have the same STA516BE chip).

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I completely agree, I had it for a few years and sold it (STA516BE). The well-surrounded TPA3255 is very superior. Ditto for the MA12070 and MA12040 which are also extremely musical.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I completely agree, I had it for a few years and sold it (STA516BE). The well-surrounded TPA3255 is very superior. Ditto for the MA12070 and MA12040 which are also extremely musical.

"Musical" is the WORD for the MA12070 ) By the way, I own almost all TPA325X in the market, including high end ones (DrMordor, Jlester etc) and what you point here; is absolutely true ! I found the MA12070 really special, somewhere between a Class A/B and Class D amp in term of "musicality".

bud947

Hi guys!
I read this thread as I'm in search for a cheap but good sounding audio system. I know the main speakers I want (the wharfedale linton heritage) so I was looking for the other elements (DAC, Amp, AVR, Streamers...). @daniboun Sabaj a20+Leaf Audio DAC looks like a winning pairing. Do you think that the Sabaj a20 has enough damping factor and power output to "control" the linton ?

Regarding the SMSL SA400 I think you're missing the point. The key component isn't the STA516BE (a rather old chip) but the Axign AX5689 which supposedly control distortions through a (digital ?) filter. https://audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2659

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi guys!
I read this thread as I'm in search for a cheap but good sounding audio system. I know the main speakers I want (the wharfedale linton heritage) so I was looking for the other elements (DAC, Amp, AVR, Streamers...). @daniboun Sabaj a20+Leaf Audio DAC looks like a winning pairing. Do you think that the Sabaj a20 has enough damping factor and power output to "control" the linton ?

Regarding the SMSL SA400 I think you're missing the point. The key component isn't the STA516BE (a rather old chip) but the Axign AX5689 which supposedly control distortions through a (digital ?) filter. https://audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2659
Welcome Aboard @bud947.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi guys!

You are right ) The AX5689 is the main component indeed. Let s wait for the ASR review. We will be fixed.

I think the Sabaj A20 can drive the wharfedale linton I am not worry. It drives my floor speakers with brio ) My speakers are 2.5 way speakers with ribbon tweeter, 93DB / 100W

bud947

It's good to hear that I'll have no problem driving the Wharfedale Linton; Then I'll order a sabaj A20a as it seems to have less QC issues than SMSL DA-9. Is it possible to fix the gain/loudness on the Sabaj and only use the DAC/AVR knob for volume adjustment ?

I intend to pair the Sabaj with LEAF AUDIO Dac Dual 9038Q2M. I see that you have experience with this DAC. What are the OP amps you'll recommend if I want a dynamic sound with extended trebble and controled bass as Wharfedale Linton can have too much much bass for small rooms ?

Ralferator

I have always been really helped by your review posts.
And I am very grateful.

I bought the SMSL DA-9 the other day. The evaluation of the sound quality is exactly the same as yours. It has a wonderful sound quality that is different from conventional devices.
However, the DA-9 I received had a major flaw. The DC offset of the right channel fluctuates greatly, which greatly exceeds the maximum standard of the chip. Therefore, pop noise is generated from the right channel when the power is turned on / off or the input is switched.
In the end, I couldn't stand this problem and returned the DA-9.

I'm thinking of buying the same A20a as you instead.
So I have a question for you about A20a.
Is the front panel a glass panel? Or is it a resin panel?
Does the A20a generate pop noise when the power is turned on / off or the input is switched? (Including small little pops)
Please tell us about these two.

I know that you tested a lot of TPA3255 amplifiers and like them. You once told me in a private chat, that you don't think OP amps make a big difference so it seems to me that you are not hyping things. I am thinking of getting one of those new amplifiers, but am a little tight with money right now. How much of a difference do you hear between the SMSL DA-9 and for example the Ayima A07? Is it a big difference that you could easily hear in a blind test? And how would you describe the difference? Is it about balance, dynamics, precision, a warm sound or what do you hear?

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
It's good to hear that I'll have no problem driving the Wharfedale Linton; Then I'll order a sabaj A20a as it seems to have less QC issues than SMSL DA-9. Is it possible to fix the gain/loudness on the Sabaj and only use the DAC/AVR knob for volume adjustment ?

I intend to pair the Sabaj with LEAF AUDIO Dac Dual 9038Q2M. I see that you have experience with this DAC. What are the OP amps you'll recommend if I want a dynamic sound with extended trebble and controled bass as Wharfedale Linton can have too much much bass for small rooms ?

The Sabaj allows you to ajust :
- EQ : you have 8 EQ modes (I personnaly use the direct mode / bypass)
- Bass adjustement
- Treble adjustement
- Volume adjustement (-60 to -0DB)

The Leaf Dac is using 5 OP amps (for each inputs), you can read my review below, all is explained :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...9038q2m-vs-gustard-x16-pictures-inside.22264/

bud947

Thanks for the details on the Sabaj possible adjustments.

Regarding the Lead Dac I read your review which is great btw (didn't know about this DAC before). On the pics there is 5 OP amps on the main board and 2 OP amps for the balanced headphone input. What is your current configuration ?
I want to order a few OP amps and I don't know the good ones. En résumé :
- OPA1622 for headphone module with less darker signature (I have a seinheiser HD 560S)
- OPA1612/OPA1656 overall
Did you notice improvements from OPA1612 to OPA1656 in XLR ?

PS: I see that we're both in France :)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Here is a small assessment after more than a week of listening. I was very skeptical about the break-in of class D amps (
I think the components polarized with the break-in). It happens that after several hours of listening, the amp has decidedly gained in dynamism and volume: it is obvious: so that I had to decreased by -03DB again. Apart from that: this amp is absolutely incredible, for good reason I have just put my Hypex NC252 on sale) It is of rare musicality for a class D amp. The timbers are beautiful, the holography / soundstage are sumptuous, it is bonnified with the hours spent listening. I can only recommend this amp because at this price, it's happiness!

ces04848

Trying to decide if should try one of these up or wait for impressions/reviews of the SA400... I have been using a pair of modded Bel Canto evo 200.2 monoblocks for years but after a recent move been playing music through Topping tp32 + JS2 power supply and I've been impressed by just how good that little amp sounds - making me question 2 big amp boxes + matching pre, especially with all the listening impression provided for these newer chips. Not sure if I should expect a20 and/or SA400 to be clearly better than my old bel canto gear or if those are still relatively good performers?

I also have a CI Audio e200s with older hypex modules and my ears prefer the bel canto monos. The hypex is probably superior from measurement standpoint but it certainly doesn't control speakers as well as the bel canto monos, nor is it rated for as much output. Speakers are JM Lab/Focal micro utopias, Clements Rt-7, and Gallo reference (original large aluminum spheres). Really appreciate all the details listening impression you've provided here + references!

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi ces04848,

Expect to be pleasantly surprised by the new class D technology of the Infineon MA12070. Class T is very far behind.

Ralferator

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm shocked. Various assertions have been made about the sound qualities of electronic components but where is the blind testing?

Please stop making comments about SQ without rigorous blind testing -- you're causing SIY painful embarrassment.

In any case I'm look forward to Amir's measurements.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Trying to decide if should try one of these up or wait for impressions/reviews of the SA400... I have been using a pair of modded Bel Canto evo 200.2 monoblocks for years but after a recent move been playing music through Topping tp32 + JS2 power supply and I've been impressed by just how good that little amp sounds - making me question 2 big amp boxes + matching pre, especially with all the listening impression provided for these newer chips. Not sure if I should expect a20 and/or SA400 to be clearly better than my old bel canto gear or if those are still relatively good performers?

I also have a CI Audio e200s with older hypex modules and my ears prefer the bel canto monos. The hypex is probably superior from measurement standpoint but it certainly doesn't control speakers as well as the bel canto monos, nor is it rated for as much output. Speakers are JM Lab/Focal micro utopias, Clements Rt-7, and Gallo reference (original large aluminum spheres). Really appreciate all the details listening impression you've provided here + references!

HI,
If I am not wrong the Bel Canto 200.2 is based in the Tripath chip. I owned the Poppulse 180 which was excellent and very musical with a dual Tripath chip. If you like the "grain" of the Tripath, you will certainly love the MA12070, which is more accurate and has a better soundstage.
Now, the Bel Canto is more powerful than the Sabaj, but in term of SQ, the Sabaj is great amp and ultra musical.

ces04848

HI,
If I am not wrong the Bel Canto 200.2 is based in the Tripath chip. I owned the Poppulse 180 which was excellent and very musical with a dual Tripath chip. If you like the "grain" of the Tripath, you will certainly love the MA12070, which is more accurate and has a better soundstage.
Now, the Bel Canto is more powerful than the Sabaj, but in term of SQ, the Sabaj is great amp and ultra musical.

Thanks for that insight! Though I'm not sure of the exact module it was a fairly unique application at the time (I believe) and I do still find the amp very enjoyable to listen to - more so than the hypex I have used with the same components around it. I think the power rating (and massive power supply + capacitor bank) is the primary reason for that and why I am leaning more towards the the SA400 as a way to try a more modern digital amplification design. I certainly wouldn't mind something with more extension/ease up top and I'm hoping I can get a taste of that without going up to orchard audio or new hypex modules. The clements and gallo speakers in particular like a lot of power but the focals are fairly efficient so I think I have some good options to test/try.

The sabaj seems like a great value regardless and could serve well on my desktop so may give it a try anyways (when they show up on amazon again)

Top Bottom