• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System upgrade time

OP
Punter

Punter

Q Audio speakers are generally incredibly good for the price. I have a much older pair and an older little SMSL amp to power them. I used them in my home office when I had one and was happy with the arrangement.
But my brain and my eyes can’t help thinking that the beautiful ply supports you’ve made look like the kind of resonant and reflexive structure to be avoided for loudspeakers, where solidity and rigidity are more important?
You're right Jack, my speaker mounts don't posses all the accepted HiFi qualities! What I wanted to achieve was having the speakers in a reasonable location for the TV audio. I couldn't place them on the platform the TV is on because they would have edited part of the screen out so hanging them underneath was the only option. I could have made the mounts in a much simpler form (and probably more HiFi) but when I started to sketch, that's what came out :) I have noticed the odd wolf note when there's a sustained sound in around the 1K to 800 Hz area but it's fleeting and compared to the tinny little skwawkers in the TV, the Q-Audio units are soooo much better I can put up with it.

gnat_leader

lol another australian!

wow lot to digest here... problem will be that $300 aus. pesos doesnt get you that much as far as speakers go

Q-Acoustics are popular given they seem to go on special a fair bit... but the 6.5 driver ones are like $500... some wont like the bass response from 4" drivers.

I think many of us here think we heard about all these Chinese amps but there seems to be a lot out there,,, I have never heard of O-Noorus but they make some real high value products.

That A80 is very well specced and appointed for about $100 us... shipped. Dunno how they do that for the money.

$100 usd would get you sweet FA at any high street hifi store in Australia.

still not much discussion on these O-Noorus MA12070 amps. I'm hoping to gain more insights, I posted about them here:
:rolleyes: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...mp-to-get-from-aliexpress.379676/post-7480882

I've not been able to find internal pics of the PA80 but here is the OA36S

Attachments

• o-noorus-oa36s-amplifier-class-d-2x-ma12070-bluetooth-50-2x65w-4-ohm (1).jpg
    o-noorus-oa36s-amplifier-class-d-2x-ma12070-bluetooth-50-2x65w-4-ohm (1).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 44
  • o-noorus-oa36s-amplifier-class-d-2x-ma12070-bluetooth-50-2x65w-4-ohm.jpg
    o-noorus-oa36s-amplifier-class-d-2x-ma12070-bluetooth-50-2x65w-4-ohm.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 43

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well i mean that's to be expected

there's a lot of brands out there but unless you're a 'major' brand like the smsl toppings fosi aiyima then how are you supposed to get traction?

eg. the other day someone posted the

D3

but who wants to pay $150 on a better mousetrap when we all own better amps betters dacs better equipment than this already?

unless you're a new buyer willing to take a chance and accept all the foibles of a new player and supposedly lesser performance then why would you bother?

you're probably better off with say a SMSL DL200 if you need a dac amp?

Alexander Lin

well i mean that's to be expected

there's a lot of brands out there but unless you're a 'major' brand like the smsl toppings fosi aiyima then how are you supposed to get traction?

eg. the other day someone posted the

D3

but who wants to pay $150 on a better mousetrap when we all own better amps betters dacs better equipment than this already?

unless you're a new buyer willing to take a chance and accept all the foibles of a new player and supposedly lesser performance then why would you bother?

you're probably better off with say a SMSL DL200 if you need a dac amp?
Saw it on AliExpress, the price doesn’t need to be $150.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i mean the AL200

but the D3 is like $120 so at that price level a dac speaker amp in one is probably a much harder ask

mglobe

Forum Donor
Wait. Aren't you the fella writing all the "Truth About..." technical threads?

And you didn't have an amp or speakers?

I'm curious: What were you doing all this time? Was it strictly headphones or...?
Best identity reveal since the day I learned that Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel is from Philadelphia.

gnat_leader

but the D3 is like $120 so at that price level a dac speaker amp in one is probably a much harder ask

Maybe so, it depends. The ask is a bit easier if using TPA3116 or MA12070 chips (used in other O-Noorus amps) which are powerful enough for my use/speakers.
The AL200 is 4-5 times more expensive and certainly overkill power-wise for my 96db/1w speakers. And will it sound 4X better?

Last edited:
Top Bottom