• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System upgrade time

Punter

I have chosen to upgrade my speakers and amplifier from non-existent to this...

IMG20230630123342.jpg

After tolerating the speakers in our TV for a long time, I suddenly got the urge to improve the setup and also provide a convenient way to listen to music in the living room.

IMG20230630123409.jpg

I picked these Q Acoustics Q3010i's on special from a local supplier for $AU 297. Then after much research, a poverty spec class D amp in the form of an O-NOORUS
OA36S Dual MA12070 80W Fully Balanced Class D Amplifier with Bluetooth5.0 for AU$120.89.

IMG20230630123349.jpg

IMG20230630123403.jpg

I chose this one based on the chip type, the MA12070 seeming to be the current hotness. Price was also a factor so really, chip/price was my consideration.

Link to amp on AliExpress

As it was my intention to update the media centre setup I designed a set of mounts for the speakers in CAD and cut them out on my laser cutter.

Speaker Brackets v10.png

IMG20230705145112.jpg

IMG20230705145102.jpg

The final stage for this will be the addition of a fanless PC to replace the notebook currently in use for internet viewing.

The Q Audio speakers have a really nice balanced, natural sound to my ears and I ran the rig flat out with a variety of music, currently listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack. The O-Noorus amp runs out of puff way before the speakers sound strained. I was never after a transformative listening experience, just smooth, room filling sound. All in all, I'm very happy with the setup!

OP
Punter

Punter

@Punter. Are you using PEQ with those new speakers and amp?
No, not applying any PEQ. I have to say I'm fine with how these little guys sound without any tweaks :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you are already running a PC you owe it to yourself to work out the kinks in the low end with the usual EQAPO / REW / UMIK setup. You can sell the UMIK when you're done if you want, for a net upgrade cost of about $20. ;)

Congrats on the new rig and nice job on the laser cutter. They're damn useful and don't get as much credit as 3D printers. I just don't have anywhere near enough ventilation to have one...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait. Aren't you the fella writing all the "Truth About..." technical threads?

And you didn't have an amp or speakers?

I'm curious: What were you doing all this time? Was it strictly headphones or...?

OP
Punter

Punter

I would like to know more about your laser cutter - it must have some serious power. I've seen that kind of work done with a CNC router.
The laser cutter is an 80W Bodor CO2 machine with a 600x500mm bed. It's more of a bench top unit than a floor standing type but plenty of power to do timber (ply) projects like this provided you get the correct material. The ply must be made with Melamine glue not phenolic. The phenolic glue will turn to carbon and resist cutting. If you have to do more than one pass, the whole thing just ends up a big charred mess on the cut line with the wrong plywood.

OP
Punter

Punter

Wait. Aren't you the fella writing all the "Truth About..." technical threads?

And you didn't have an amp or speakers?

I'm curious: What were you doing all this time? Was it strictly headphones or...?
Yeh look, impostor syndrome and all that :) Because of my work I've been surrounded by audio equipment constantly and after my "first job" HiFi system degenerated to the point it was useless I never replaced it. My original system was: NAD 2030 integrated amp, Dunlop Systemdeck TT with Linn Basic arm and Glanz moving magnet cartridge (forget the model). Nakamichi cassette deck (model?), Sony CD player (model?)and finally a pair of AR10 speakers.
The AR10's were the first to go, foam surrounds perished, veneer peeling off cabinets. Then the Systemdeck fell off a shelf, buggered the case and chipped the glass platter (quite a feat). This set of gear lasted me for a good decade and was dragged around to every share house and rental I landed up in.

Then I had kids!

Following this it was just car sound, headphones and much later a Bluetooth speaker.

So yeah, I'm not a true HiFi tragic but I am an inveterate geek.

I wrote the "Truth About" stuff originally to add some actual knowledge and understanding to the HiFi sphere and hoped it would allow non-techie people to understand the technology and make informed choices about gear. If you recall, my first one was about power supplies and I really put that together to point out the utter stupidity (and deceptiveness) of anyone declaring that the power cable or fuse in the supply can have any bearing on the sound reproduction. I kept going because of the very positive response I received from this community. I have been a staunch opponent of overpriced/bling audio products ever since I encountered my first set of $270 interconnects being sold at my favorite HiFi store. It was this very moment that I decided I fell out of love with HiFi as a hobby. From then on, I bought based on quality/price at the budget end of the market. The trend continues today.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh look, impostor syndrome and all that :) Because of my work I've been surrounded by audio equipment constantly and after my "first job" HiFi system degenerated to the point it was useless I never replaced it. My original system was: NAD 2030 integrated amp, Dunlop Systemdeck TT with Linn Basic arm and Glanz moving magnet cartridge (forget the model). Nakamichi cassette deck (model?), Sony CD player (model?)and finally a pair of AR10 speakers.
The AR10's were the first to go, foam surrounds perished, veneer peeling off cabinets. Then the Systemdeck fell off a shelf, buggered the case and chipped the glass platter (quite a feat). This set of gear lasted me for a good decade and was dragged around to every share house and rental I landed up in.

Then I had kids!

Following this it was just car sound, headphones and much later a Bluetooth speaker.

So yeah, I'm not a true HiFi tragic but I am an inveterate geek.

Interesting story.

I wrote the "Truth About" stuff originally to add some actual knowledge and understanding to the HiFi sphere and hoped it would allow non-techie people to understand the technology and make informed choices about gear. If you recall, my first one was about power supplies and I really put that together to point out the utter stupidity (and deceptiveness) of anyone declaring that the power cable or fuse in the supply can have any bearing on the sound reproduction. I kept going because of the very positive response I received from this community.

I think we all enjoy those posts.

I have been a staunch opponent of overpriced/bling audio products ever since I encountered my first set of $270 interconnects being sold at my favorite HiFi store. It was this very moment that I decided I fell out of love with HiFi as a hobby. From then on, I bought based on quality/price at the budget end of the market. The trend continues today.

That seems like a pretty extreme reaction to seeing some overpriced interconnects!

If I were the same I guess I would have quit back in the 90's, since $270 would have been "cheap" price for high-end interconnects even back then.

I don't spend my money on high end cables BTW. But I still love the hobby, gives me huge amounts of joy. I'm far from rich but I don't mind saving for longer to afford a bit of "audio jewelry."

I won't list my equipment as the cost will probably violate your price sensitivity ;-)

OP
Punter

Punter

Matt, I encountered the $270 interconnects in 1982! I think they cost more than my tonearm :D

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
lol another australian!

wow lot to digest here... problem will be that $300 aus. pesos doesnt get you that much as far as speakers go

Q-Acoustics are popular given they seem to go on special a fair bit... but the 6.5 driver ones are like $500... some wont like the bass response from 4" drivers.

I think many of us here think we heard about all these Chinese amps but there seems to be a lot out there,,, I have never heard of O-Noorus but they make some real high value products.

That A80 is very well specced and appointed for about $100 us... shipped. Dunno how they do that for the money.

$100 usd would get you sweet FA at any high street hifi store in Australia.

Jack Harrison

I have chosen to upgrade my speakers and amplifier from non-existent to this...

View attachment 296899

After tolerating the speakers in our TV for a long time, I suddenly got the urge to improve the setup and also provide a convenient way to listen to music in the living room.

View attachment 296900

I picked these Q Acoustics Q3010i's on special from a local supplier for $AU 297. Then after much research, a poverty spec class D amp in the form of an O-NOORUS
OA36S Dual MA12070 80W Fully Balanced Class D Amplifier with Bluetooth5.0 for AU$120.89.

View attachment 296902
View attachment 296907

I chose this one based on the chip type, the MA12070 seeming to be the current hotness. Price was also a factor so really, chip/price was my consideration.

Link to amp on AliExpress

As it was my intention to update the media centre setup I designed a set of mounts for the speakers in CAD and cut them out on my laser cutter.

View attachment 296904

View attachment 296905

View attachment 296906

The final stage for this will be the addition of a fanless PC to replace the notebook currently in use for internet viewing.

The Q Audio speakers have a really nice balanced, natural sound to my ears and I ran the rig flat out with a variety of music, currently listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack. The O-Noorus amp runs out of puff way before the speakers sound strained. I was never after a transformative listening experience, just smooth, room filling sound. All in all, I'm very happy with the setup!
Q Audio speakers are generally incredibly good for the price. I have a much older pair and an older little SMSL amp to power them. I used them in my home office when I had one and was happy with the arrangement.
But my brain and my eyes can’t help thinking that the beautiful ply supports you’ve made look like the kind of resonant and reflexive structure to be avoided for loudspeakers, where solidity and rigidity are more important?

Top Bottom