• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

Moosi

The AO200 also picks up USB noise, so I am using optical.

Had a problem with the E30 summing noise with frequent short hums that drove me crazy at night when there was no other sounds overlapping it. Literally just 5minutes ago fixed it! How? By swapping the USB cable that came with the Topping E30 with a little longer one from a Canon printer I owned 15 years ago. Seriously, no summing, no hums anymore. It's quiet as a grave now. Mindbening, I never thought there are differences in USB cables.

Edit: Nope, not solved by the USB cable. It's the frequency setting in windows. 44.1/fine, 176/fine, 192/hums, 352/hums, 384/hums

Last edited:

6th0

Had a problem with the E30 summing noise with frequent short hums that drove me crazy at night when there was no other sounds overlapping it. Literally just 5minutes ago fixed it! How? By swapping the USB cable that came with the Topping E30 with a little longer one from a Canon printer I owned 15 years ago. Seriously, no summing, no hums anymore. It's quiet as a grave now. Mindbening, I never thought there are differences in USB cables.

I just tried about 10 different cables, including a 15yo HP branded cable, and two with ferrite chokes. No luck...

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
power supply for the E30 ? Do you have a power bank you can try ?

SeriousSam70

This pair doesn't have a problem, I have them on my desk right now.
@peterwen suggested that is a problem (namely, a noisy output) when using a topping D10 hooked-up to a Sabaj A20a amplifier.
And then @
JohnYang1997
said that is was about Topping D10 Balanced.

milan616

Forum Donor
@peterwen suggested that is a problem (namely, a noisy output) when using a topping D10 hooked-up to a Sabaj A20a amplifier.
And then @
JohnYang1997
said that is was about Topping D10 Balanced.

A poster was talking about the D10 Balanced, Peter mistook it for the original D10, John corrected him that the poster meant the D10 Balanced. Peter's post suggested a problem with the original D10, which John neither confirmed nor denied, just set Peter straight on the correct device.

gasolin75

The E30 is powered by a USB cable going into a USB wall plug.

Me to, mabye try a diffrrent power source, power bank, higher tier ifi power adapter or pc using something like a jitterbug often pc's have a usb port for charging a phone which is different to a normal usb port (don't ask me wht the difference is i wouldn't know it) ?

Toku

Major Contributor

Edit: Nope, not solved by the USB cable. It's the frequency setting in windows. 44.1/fine, 176/fine, 192/hums, 352/hums, 384/hums
About checking when hum noise occurs in A20a

Connect only the power cable and speakers to the A20a. Do not connect anything to the input. Turn off the power switch of other audio equipment around you.

In my case, I set the volume to -00 in this state and only hear a very small amount of white noise (sometimes called hiss noise).
If both input 1 and input 2 are in the same state as me, there is no problem with the A20a. There are other causes of noise.

If hum noise still appears in this state, the power supply line is extremely distorted, or the power supply unit of the A20a is suspected.
When home appliances with built-in inverters are operating in the house, the waveform distortion of the power supply line may increase and induce noise. In particular, if hum noise is generated intermittently, it is often caused by the inverter.
I have experienced this several times at the request of a noise survey. Recently, the impact has been reduced by using SMPS with good performance, but confirmation is necessary.
Turn off the power of the surrounding electric appliances one by one and check the change in noise.
If hum noise still appears even after doing this, there is a possibility that the power supply unit of the A20a has failed. It takes patience above all to clarify the cause of noise.
The mainstream power line in Japan where I live is 2P 100V, and there is no connection to the ground pole. So it may be different from the 3P 220V environment.

gasolin75

A20a using the MORNSUN 350w power supply. This power supply makes the amplifier sound better. Compared to the normal 250w power supply A10a used.

why 350 watt ?

It means if the voltage is 24 volt (max the chip can handle is 26 volt and around 8 a) the a,current is 14.58 a, 26 volt is 13.46 a unless it's a 36 volt (9.72 a) power supply turned down to 24 volt but the max current (a) is still the same ?

Don't we risk that the amp requires more current then it can handle ?

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
why 350 watt ?

It means if the voltage is 24 volt (max the chip can handle is 26 volt and around 8 a) the a,current is 14.58 a, 26 volt is 13.46 a unless it's a 36 volt (9.72 a) power supply turned down to 24 volt but the max current (a) is still the same ?

Don't we risk that the amp requires more current then it can handle ?
The rated current of the A20a MORNSUN 24V/350W power supply unit is 8.33A for natural air cooling and 14.6A for forced air cooling.
However, this is the case for continuous loads, and under loads such as audio amplifiers, a peak current of 14.6A can be tolerated even with natural air cooling. This can provide full current to a 150Wx2/2Ω load, which is advantageous for lower impedance loads than the 225W power supply used in the DA-9/AO200. I think this current capacity works positively even with a load of 8Ω/4Ω.

gasolin75

i don't care so much about temps, the chip is rated at min 8a i don't know what the limit is

Moosi

About checking when hum noise occurs in A20a
Thank you, but my A20a has no hum or high frequency noise. It's only and explicitly the Topping E30 DAC with serial 2008 who has a high pitched noise with certain PCM frequency settings in windows (set higher than 176khz). The A20a has "white noise/ants crawling" when I turn it up louder than -20db, but you'd have to get your ear to the speaker to hear it even with -00db. I don't know if this is induced by my speaker cable tho which is a really cheap one.
This can provide full current to a 150Wx2/2Ω load, which is advantageous for lower impedance loads than the 225W power supply used in the DA-9/AO200.
And this is why I can enjoy the 195$ "Sabaj A20a" with my 83db sensitivity hard to drive 1500$ speakers, getting them to ~90db with great detail, warmth and thick base and without even wanting a more powerful amp. :)

Last edited:

gasolin75

It's nice to have enough power, i have Mission LX3 MKII that gfes down to 4.1 om and has a rated sensitivity of 88, my audio switcher is set to 3 o'clock (volume know or if you will passive preamp) and the sound is pretty loud and puchy at -15db

Toku

Major Contributor
i don't care so much about temps, the chip is rated at min 8a i don't know what the limit is
Even though the A20a can drive up to a 2Ω load, there is no such low impedance speaker. Such low impedance products are for car audio.
Most of the speakers we purchase have impedances of 4Ω to 8Ω.
However, the impedance of these speakers is not constant over the entire frequency band.
Some 4Ω speakers have dips that drop below 3Ω at certain frequencies.
Driving such a speaker is difficult for an amplifier, but an amplifier with excellent low impedance drive capability such as the A20a can sound the speaker without difficulty.

gasolin75

Less power and no xlr in ModDIY

Top Bottom