• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

zerolight

Newbie here. I have just posted back my Aeon Closed X to Drop - (will have to fight for a VAT return from customs once I have proof of refund, in a couple of weeks). I'm also returning the Airpods Max today as I don't love them, and they are pretty heavy.

The main reason I returned the Closed X is that it just sounded a bit thin in the mids. I liked the overall tonality, but the mids just bothered me. Now I am not powering them with a proper headphone amp, but rather an Apogee Boom interface (which has much more power than the average interface). I accept there may be small gains using another amp, but I need to use the interface as I pump my Fractal Amp modeller through it for recording and montioring via headphones as I play guitar. The Boom didn't seem to struggle with driving them, and long term I could have been tempted to put a Magni in between them. For that same reason, EQ is not an option, as I need to listen to the interface inputs live for direct monitoring, so I cannot apply an EQ to adjust. For that reason I also ran the Closed X with the white single notch default pad as the most comfortable tuning.

edit: Primary usage is music listening, secondary is gaming and live monitoring of guitar. Otherwise I'd just get the Beyer again.

I come from the DT880 Pro - which has great mids for guitar but isn't great for just listening to Apple Music whilst I work, and is OK when I am sim-racing where I also need headphones.

I have had the LCD2F which I enjoyed, aside from comfort / weight, Ether C which I found uncomfortable and lacking bass, RS1i which I enjoyed, but it is so long ago that I can't recall much, other than I am sure I'd have liked more lows. I've also had time with other phones: I recall being wowed by the LCD3 I demoed before I got the LCD2F years back, and the Oppo PM2 was pretty nice. I recall liking the Focal Elear, but maybe it was a bit shouty. The HD6xx was both uncomfortable and a bit too mid fowards.

So I am now debating where to go next:

- Go cheap with an open box Sundara?
- Order the Aeon Open X to get the Aeon Closed comfort and general tonality, but with thicker mids?
- DT1990 Pro as an improved 880 Pro?
- RS2x for lightness, but maybe too much brightness
- Wait for a good used deal on the Meze 109 Pro

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Newbie here. I have just posted back my Aeon Closed X to Drop - (will have to fight for a VAT return from customs once I have proof of refund, in a couple of weeks). I'm also returning the Airpods Max today as I don't love them, and they are pretty heavy.

The main reason I returned the Closed X is that it just sounded a bit thin in the mids. I liked the overall tonality, but the mids just bothered me. Now I am not powering them with a proper headphone amp, but rather an Apogee Boom interface (which has much more power than the average interface). I accept there may be small gains using another amp, but I need to use the interface as I pump my Fractal Amp modeller through it for recording and montioring via headphones as I play guitar. The Boom didn't seem to struggle with driving them, and long term I could have been tempted to put a Magni in between them. For that same reason, EQ is not an option, as I need to listen to the interface inputs live for direct monitoring, so I cannot apply an EQ to adjust. For that reason I also ran the Closed X with the white single notch default pad as the most comfortable tuning.

I come from the DT880 Pro - which has great mids for guitar but isn't great for just listening to Apple Music whilst I work, and is OK when I am sim-racing where I also need headphones.

I have had the LCD2F which I enjoyed, aside from comfort / weight, Ether C which I found uncomfortable and lacking bass, RS1i which I enjoyed, but it is so long ago that I can't recall much, other than I am sure I'd have liked more lows. I've also had time with other phones: I recall being wowed by the LCD3 I demoed before I got the LCD2F years back, and the Oppo PM2 was pretty nice. I recall liking the Focal Elear, but maybe it was a bit shouty.

- Order the Aeon Open X to get the Aeon Closed comfort and general tonality, but with thicker mids?

The DC headphones, including the Aeon Closed X, are first and foremost HiFi-headphones. For you needs, recording and monitoring, you probably would be better of with an studio-headphone. When it comes to Bayerdynamic I am not overwhelmingly enthusiastic. I bought an OLLO-S5X, and I am very pleased with it. The OLLO:s are specifically made for studio usage. Despite this S5X, for some it also can be a nice HiFi-headphone.

zerolight

The DC headphones, including the Aeon Closed X, are first and foremost HiFi-headphones. For you needs, recording and monitoring, you probably would be better of with an studio-headphone. When it comes to Bayerdynamic I am not overwhelmingly enthusiastic. I bought an OLLO-S5X, and I am very pleased with it. The OLLO:s are specifically made for studio usage. Despite this S5X, for some it also can be a nice HiFi-headphone.
Thanks for your input. Yeah - I get that the Aeon is more Hifi. I want headphones that are first and foremost Hifi, for music enjoyment, as I spend a lot of time working at my desk, listening to Apple Music, but that I can also use for monitoring my guitar or pc gaming as a secondary function. I am looking for slightly warmer than the Closed X, not as pushed in the mids as the HD6XX, and not as aggressive on the treble as the 880 pro. I also want reasonable weight as when sim racing I use VR which already adds weight. The Aeon's ticked the box on weight and comfort - the S5X are too heavy, and I'd prefer something a touch less reference level than those.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I am looking for slightly warmer than the Closed X, not as pushed in the mids as the HD6XX, and not as aggressive on the treble as the 880 pro.
I'm wondering if it might be worth some effort to experiment with PEQ to figure out what kind of response curve suits your preferences and then try to find something that is close to that curve. I use PEQ with all of my over-the-ear headphones and agree that the AeonX isn't the best without PEQ and neither is the 6XX. Oratory has a tone of PEQ settings for various headphones and graphs of before and after for comparison. From what you described, you may like the HiFiMan Sundara or one of the others in that line. I like the Ananda although it didn't measure quite to Amir's standards. In the DCA line I like the Noire without PEQ but with PEQ it gets a tad better for me.

zerolight

I think I’m going to just try the Aeon Open X. I liked a lot about the closed with the white default felt, but it just needed to be fatter in the mids. I think that is what the Open does.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

edit: Primary usage is music listening, secondary is gaming and live monitoring of guitar. Otherwise I'd just get the Beyer again.

I have had the LCD2F which I enjoyed, aside from comfort / weight, Ether C which I found uncomfortable and lacking bass, RS1i which I enjoyed, but it is so long ago that I can't recall much, other than I am sure I'd have liked more lows. I've also had time with other phones: I recall being wowed by the LCD3 I demoed before I got the LCD2F years back, and the Oppo PM2 was pretty nice. I recall liking the Focal Elear, but maybe it was a bit shouty. The HD6xx was both uncomfortable and a bit too mid fowards.

Look into the HD560s, see what you think.

zerolight

Look into the HD560s, see what you think.
Thanks - I'll take a look. If they are anything like the 600s in terms of cup shape, they will be torture to my ears - I can't wear the 600 for more than 20 mins.

I really don't want reference studio style headphones though, not sure that's what these are, but just checking. With my 880 Pro I found myself only using them for guitar playing and gaming, because they weren't fun to listen to music. Selling them, my plan was to get a pair that are fine for gaming and guitar playing, and excellent for musical enjoyment.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks - I'll take a look. If they are anything like the 600s in terms of cup shape, they will be torture to my ears - I can't wear the 600 for more than 20 mins.
(Lots of info on HD560s here on ASR for you to look into). I have HD600 & HD560s, HD560s has more space for my ears than HD600 - my ears don't touch HD560s, but they do on HD600. HD560s are deeper cups (at least in the right places for my ears anyway).

EDIT: it doesn't matter if a headphone is marketed as "reference studio" or not (it means nothing), just look at the frequency response measurements and choose what you want.

Last edited:

zerolight

I got the Aeon Open X this week and I love it. Where the closed fundamentally alters the guitar tone in a quest for more detail, the Open keeps the original tone and sounds more natural. As a guitarist this is really important to me and I just couldn’t live with what the Closed does to guitar tones. So I’m happy now.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the Aeon Open X this week and I love it. Where the closed fundamentally alters the guitar tone ina quest for more detail, the Open keeps the original tone and sounds more natural. As a guitarist this is really important to me and I just couldn’t live with what the Closed does to guitar tones. So I’m happy now.
There's a reason why Aeon X Open is my endgame. Literally zero open-back headphones touches its sonic performance in its price range! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rank-your-headphones.32769/post-1250054

Hello everyone, i'm looking forward to buy a DCA aeon closed x and a dac/amp for it (actually thinking of the SMSL dl200). Is there anyone who owns it and who could advise me a dac/amp ? for the sound signature i love soundstage and i want it to sound dynamic. And lastly the aeon x was on sale until yesterday, Does anyone know when I'm most likely to find them on sale (like black friday or something)? Thanks to the ones who will bother answering me.

Reactions: SMc

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, i'm looking forward to buy a DCA aeon closed x and a dac/amp for it (actually thinking of the SMSL dl200). Is there anyone who owns it and who could advise me a dac/amp ? for the sound signature i love soundstage and i want it to sound dynamic. And lastly the aeon x was on sale until yesterday, Does anyone know when I'm most likely to find them on sale (like black friday or something)? Thanks to the ones who will bother answering me.
Any transparent headphone amplifier powerful enough to drive them to their full potential. Just any of them recommended by amirm. DCA aeon needs to be driven by a relatively speaking rather powerful headphone amp.

FreaK

A good (with good i mean it has transparency, and no big problem) dac and amp has no sound signature at all. The whole point of being good is that it doesn't alter the sound signal in any perceivable way to human hearing. I suggest you go through the reviews here on ASR (dac, amp or combo unit), and you pick the cheapest that has no problems, is transparent (sinad of 110-115 or more), has enough power to drive this headphone, and you're done.

antikryst

i have the topping DX 3 pro+ and that works fine. Drop usually has a nice sale during black friday. But there are also some good sales that are unannounced.

Just saw the DL200 and it seems like it has more power than my topping. If the specs are correct, then that should be fine. I also just got a DAP... my qualification for a DAP was that it should be able to drive my Aeon Closed X which is my travel closed headphone. I tested the Hiby R6 gen 3 which works. Ended up with the Hiby R6 Pro II. Needed to run them on high gain and on balanced though. Just putting it out there if in case you are also looking into portable power for it.

The topping G5 also works well with the Aeon X closed. Which can be used desk side and also works portable with a phone.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I us an SMSL D0100 in my main system and basement system and they work great. Measurements I've done at home with Cosmos ADC match Amir's. For headphones I have the Aeon X and the Noire. Noire I use through an RME ADI-2 and the Aeon X through a Drop THX AAA 789. As said in reply above, the DL200 looks like it produces plenty of power. I also suggest that you have a way to add some PEQ settings to the playback chain. Without EQ I haven't got on as well with the Aeon X as I do with the Noire. I much prefer the Aeon X with EQ. Using programmable EQ in the digital domain is the best way to tune the sound signature to what you want. DAC and amp aren't going to help meaningfully on that front.

thanks for your responses everybody, i won't run out of things to look out this week-end ;)
Any transparent headphone amplifier powerful enough to drive them to their full potential.
the cheapest that has no problems, is transparent (sinad of 110-115 or more), has enough power to drive this headphone, and you're done.
As said in reply above, the DL200 looks like it produces plenty of power.
OK got it, the dl200 would do the job then

Ended up with the Hiby R6 Pro II.
i do travel a lot, but i don't mind streaming from my phone for now. (and i would be out of budget :p)

The topping G5 also works well with the Aeon X closed
seems to be more of an option, i'd look into it

I much prefer the Aeon X with EQ.
i've seen some threads on how to EQ it,

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...op-dan-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x.26711/page-2

gonna look at those EQs ones first i think.

right now im waiting for the aeon x to go back to sale to buy it, i'll update this thread with my choices when i would make one. Thanks to yall

gfinlays

I've just grabbed a very nice used pair of these from eBay plus a custom cable with a 4 pin XLR plugs to fit my tube headphone amps and Benchmark HPA4. My current cans line up includes 2 pairs of Sennheiser HD580, a pair of Emotiva GR1 and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150. They're a demanding load, that's for sure - wired to the 16-50 ohm taps on my tube headphone amps (World Designs HD3S, ECL83), the volume knob needs to go all the way around to 1 to 2 o'clock. On the HPA4, there's plenty of drive. At -22dB, they're plenty loud enough.

With no filter pads and Jaakko Pasanen's convolution filters applied via Roon, they are an incredibly enjoyable listen. By far the best closed backs I've ever heard.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I us an SMSL D0100 in my main system and basement system and they work great. Measurements I've done at home with Cosmos ADC match Amir's. For headphones I have the Aeon X and the Noire. Noire I use through an RME ADI-2 and the Aeon X through a Drop THX AAA 789. As said in reply above, the DL200 looks like it produces plenty of power. I also suggest that you have a way to add some PEQ settings to the playback chain. Without EQ I haven't got on as well with the Aeon X as I do with the Noire. I much prefer the Aeon X with EQ. Using programmable EQ in the digital domain is the best way to tune the sound signature to what you want. DAC and amp aren't going to help meaningfully on that front.
Do you prefer the Aeon X with EQ over the Aeon Noire, or did you mean that you prefer the equalized X more than when you don't equalize it? It wasn't clear to me.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Do you prefer the Aeon X with EQ over the Aeon Noire, or did you mean that you prefer the equalized X more than when you don't equalize it? It wasn't clear to me.
If I'm using EQ then I slightly prefer the Aeon Noire but I'm quite happy with both. I use Oratory's respective EQ settings with each. Without EQ I prefer the Aeon Noire or Drop HD6XX. I pretty much never listen without EQ though unless I'm traveling. And then I'm using Truth Ear Zero Red or Blue. That's a lot of headphones so I'm done exploring the tech side of things and just happy listening.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
If I'm using EQ then I slightly prefer the Aeon Noire but I'm quite happy with both. I use Oratory's respective EQ settings with each. Without EQ I prefer the Aeon Noire or Drop HD6XX. I pretty much never listen without EQ though unless I'm traveling. And then I'm using Truth Ear Zero Red or Blue. That's a lot of headphones so I'm done exploring the tech side of things and just happy listening.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. I'm tempted to try the Noire, but I do hesitate as I find many people discussing that DCA headphones lack dynamics and are a little boring. Not sure if that is true. I had a first generation Ether open for a few weeks several years ago, and I have to admit, I did find it fairly boring.

Top Bottom