• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dont like the sound of room correction

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never apply "correction" above 500-1000hz. It will screw up the on axis and early reflections.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have struggled with the same thing. I normally run the routine, then manual edit most of the filters > 500 Hz to around half their auto gain settings. That lets more of the speaker's natural response through and sounds less generic. I tune the bass settings a bit by ear as well.

OP, which R series speakers do you have and how do you like them?

I am considering a pair of R5s as my front pair in a 13x14' room.

SirMaster

Never apply "correction" above 500-1000hz. It will screw up the on axis and early reflections.

I don't think I can agree with that.

My friend has nice speakers that have a tremendous amount of sibilance with their stock sound.

Dirac with Harman curve applied from 20Hz to 20KHz cleaned that right up. And sibilance is in the many thousands of Hz.

By default his speakers sloped upwards from 1000 to 20,000 by about 5dB. After Dirac it sloped down by about 3dB from 1000 to 20,000 and that made a huge positive difference in the sound.

I almost couldn't listen to them before, and now they sound like some of the best I've heard.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah, it's called Audyssey Dynamic EQ and it applies a Fletcher–Munson curve to the audio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

I agree it's a pretty killer feature for those who listen below reference level, and particularly far below reference level.

I'm now wondering why all the DRC algos don't have this...

It's a fairly well known solution, so no deep new tech needs to be invented.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The quality of the components, the capability of the drivers, efficiency, clarity, etc.

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-noesis-212htr

I don't have a problem if speakers don't naturally produce the specific house curve that I personally like because that's what EQ is for.

I'd give you efficiency.

Everything else about the spec looks like a PA speaker, and horns have all sorts of known issues without DSP to smoothe them out.

Plus, if the frequency response is as you said, they're a deeply flawed design to begin with.

So, yeah, if the speaker has jacked up response above the bass, sure DRC, can help up there, too.

But not as necessary for well designed speakers.

SirMaster

I'd give you efficiency.

Everything else about the spec looks like a PA speaker, and horns have all sorts of known issues without DSP to smoothe them out.

Plus, if the frequency response is as you said, they're a deeply flawed design to begin with.

Well after Dirac Harman curve they produce some of the best HT sound that I have heard. Basically on par with JBL Synthesis which I have heard on multiple occasions.

I really only care about how they ultimately sound when all dialed in, and there aren't a lot of speakers at that price range that will fill a large room to reference levels which is important to me.

Also, they sound nothing like PA speakers, at least to me.

I don't think it's the speaker's fault that it has that response. I think it was more the room and setup causing it, but that's what REW said when they were measured at MLP in my friend's room.

They produce a much different measurement here than we saw in his room.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/jtr-noesis-212rt-review-and-measurements.6779/#:~:text=A top notch home theater,imaging is to die for.

Last edited:

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm now wondering why all the DRC algos don't have this...

It's a fairly well known solution, so no deep new tech needs to be invented.

I agree that would be nice to have, but it would probably create confusion among customers on receivers that offer both DRC and Dolby Volume. Dolby Volume does variable equal loudness contouring as well, but it's a more complex implementation that includes a hysteresis-based compressor.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree that would be nice to have, but it would probably create confusion among customers on receivers that offer both DRC and Dolby Volume. Dolby Volume does variable equal loudness contouring as well, but it's a more complex implementation that includes a hysteresis-based compressor.

Lots of Dirac implementations are in non-AVRs without Dolby volume control, though.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon+Marantz AVRs have both; Dynamic EQ is for equal loudness. Dynamic range compression is handled by Dynamic Volume and is like an advanced night mode.

Timme

For me, Dirac improves the sound by A LOT. It’s a huge improvement

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really?

I can't imagine bothering to change curves every time the volume changes by 10 dB.
Because we hear differently depending on sound pressure levels, the curve needs to change for it to sound the same. A lift in the bass and treble is needed at low volumes otherwise it will sound dull. A flattening out of the curve is needed at high volumes to prevent bass and treble from becoming out of balance and overwhelming.

You're right that it would be a hassle if you ride the volume a lot, which is why Dynamic EQ is such a killer feature with Audyssey. If Dirac were ever to implement such a feature for equal loudness it could cause me to change my setup. Not that I change the volume that much, but just so it always sounds good no matter what.

FYI I currently use room correction to 350 Hz in a symmetrical room with good speakers that don't need much help above that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom