• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

Overseas

Major Contributor
I like Taylor.
I like mayonnese.
I like dry socks.
On same level.
In my quite litte east european country we easily have 5 to 10 girls with same or better voice.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like Taylor.
I like mayonnese.
I like dry socks.
On same level.
In my quite litte east european country we easily have 5 to 10 girls with same or better voice.
This is a little bit of drift, but I think once someone reaches a certain level or talent, it then becomes a bit of a lottery regarding who gets more opportunities.

For people like Taylor Swift, I'd day talent, plus ambition, plus "aesthetics," plus the ability to keep manufacturing material got her extra lottery tickets.

There are artists who I just can't understand why they remain local or only retain limited audiences while others scale the heights.

__

Even more drift, stolen from your reply....

I was once standing looking at art in the Chicago Art Institute, and an attractive woman asked me which I preferred, the Monets, or the Manets?

I replied, "I prefer Mayonnaise."

She walked away.

I thought maybe she was going to go get me some, but she never came back.

Ba dump bump.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That made me wonder how Plato would do on "man on the street" polls, too!

I bet we'd get 85% or more saying, "Mickey Mouse's Dog," or "It's like modeling clay."

Cheers, amigo! :D
Any secondary education student over here could tell you that he was a Greek philosopher. Sure, not much more than that most of the time, but the name at least is there.

Probably Swift would sign right now to be named, if just by name only, a couple millenia in the future. And chances are that she may, given the scale of her fame.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Seems to me that her fame is famous, not her.
Anyway, to me she sounds quite 'normal' and average for the music I am used to as teenager, so maybe that's the reason for her success, shockingly.
I played her on purpose for my wife, she did not notice anything remarkable, I draw her attention that this is a new megastar and that was the moment my wife was shocked (by the news, not by the singer).
Go Taylor. Whatever.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I think if you did "man on the street" polls, around 1% could tell you who Antonio Vivaldi was or be able to recognize any of his music.

We are the minority on this, I think! :)

In 283 years, it will take a dedicated archaeologist to recognize either!
What if you played "that hold music" for them? Think they would recognize "Spring" from the 4 seasons?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was once standing looking at art in the Chicago Art Institute, and an attractive woman asked me which I preferred, the Monets, or the Manets?

She walked away.

Ba dump bump.
"How much do you know of La Mayonnaise?" she inquired.
He shrugged. "Maybe up to the part that goes 'Aux armes, citoyens' - "

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sadly, most would not, I think.

Pachelbel's Canon is either "that wedding song" or a new Fast Mexican Food offering.

:p
I swear, the bass line of "When a Man Loves a Woman" is the same.

A co-worker in a record store I worked at referred to this as "speed-metal baroque":

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for ebay to deliver Artur Schnabel's recording of Beethoven's op. 126 bagatelles.

darrellc

Forum Donor

She walked away.

Ba dump bump.
your profile avatar / image was well chosen

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the most important Taylor Swift cultural moment - if you really want to understand the artist and her music - features the Dover Police Department. :p

And this guy stomps all over The Rock.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tall women can barely get pants that cover their ankles, give the poor girl a break. Every blouse is a crop top. Can't wear heels if your boyfriend is a singer in a band.

pinger

I can honestly say i never heard a single song from her and as far as looks go I've seen a lot better. I do find her boyfriend Kelce very annoying though

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can honestly say i never heard a single song from her and as far as looks go I've seen a lot better. I do find her boyfriend Kelce very annoying though
If I see her I'll try to let her down easy

Down South

I think if you did "man on the street" polls, around 1% could tell you who Antonio Vivaldi was or be able to recognize any of his music.

We are the minority on this, I think! :)

In 283 years, it will take a dedicated archaeologist to recognize either!
In another 283 years Vivaldi's music will still be vital and alive simply because it is timeless.

I was lucky enough to be living in a small town in Galicia where every July there is a big Celtic musical festival with bands of pipers from all over NW Spain and internationally. The Breton pipers always impress me. One year away from the main area just one Breton piper stepped forward. He was playing what would have been the original form of the bagpipe - a single reed version. He began to play and within moments he had stripped away a few thousand years, created a space where only this incredible ancient sound could be heard. The audience was mainly German tourists, it was spell binding, everyone hearing was deeply affected. When he finished no one spoke for a few minutes - you could call it time travel. Both I and my wife are of Celtic blood, it was for us a profound experience - time is relative.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much to my surprise, she even has a huge international fan base. (Sorry for the paywall.) Asian countries argue over her.

Many of the more than 300,000 tickets sold in Singapore have gone to overseas fans who will fly in, and hotels and restaurants haven’t been shy. The city’s iconic five-star hotel, the Marina Bay Sands, is offering “The Wildest Dreams Package,” which comes with a three-night stay, four VIP tickets and a round-trip limousine ride from the airport. The cost: nearly $40,000.

Top Bottom