• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Apparently yes.

Not me, though I may have heard some by accident.
Video clips and internet sites such as YouTube have helped increase the popularity of artists like Taylor Swift, who promote the visual aspect of their performance (unlike Vivaldi) as much as the aural aspect.

I have not heard any of her music, so I cannot comment on it. But it will be interesting to see whether she will stand the test of time. Will she be around 10 years from now? Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example? or Kylie Minogue?

GS

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have not heard any of her music, so I cannot comment on it.

I suppose I have, but it didn't "register" as something to pursue.

But it will be interesting to see whether she will stand the test of time.

She's lasted since October 2006 (first album) so she's definitely crushing the averages already.

Will she be around 10 years from now?

Probably.

I might be too.

According to the social Security Actuarial Tables I'll only have a chance of dying at 80 (ten years from now) of 0.065568

Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example? or Kylie Minogue?

People who used to listened to them in the past may still listen to them occasionally.

Sorta like whatever old stuff (basically everything in my collection) I listen to on occasion.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Taylor.
I like mayonnese.
I like dry socks.
On same level.
In my quite litte east european country we easily have 5 to 10 girls with same or better voice.
But can any of them boost the economy there like a visit from Taylor Swift would?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Video clips and internet sites such as YouTube have helped increase the popularity of artists like Taylor Swift, who promote the visual aspect of their performance (unlike Vivaldi) as much as the aural aspect.

I have not heard any of her music, so I cannot comment on it. But it will be interesting to see whether she will stand the test of time. Will she be around 10 years from now?

Who knows?

Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example?

Yes. She just finished a tour of arenas.

or Kylie Minogue?

I expect so, mainly in Australia.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can honestly say i never heard a single song from her and as far as looks go I've seen a lot better. I do find her boyfriend Kelce very annoying though

How funny that men feel they have to comment on her 'looks'.

Was Paul your crush Beatle?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Guess I'm the odd man out, I really like her. Her voice is OK, her songwriting is great, just pop music, nothing more, nothing less. Great songs for car trips. Evermore is a solid album, irrespective of genre.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
She is a bit of chameleon. Everything from country to folk to pop to R&B. I hear she regularly puts on 3+ hour shows for her fans. A bit like Springsteen meets pop country. i really respect giving her for giving her fans their money’s worth. Concerts for pop artists are not cheap anymore. I can’t say I’ve ever really tried to get into her music, but when I see her perform or hear a song I have no doubt she is superstar and I’m no doubt, too set in my ways to completely get her.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kylie Minogue?
Kylie had a huge summer hit in UK last year, and two other charting singles. In 2020 she topped the album chart. She's already had a single in the charts in 2024. She is still very successfully making new music.

Down South

I have not heard any of her music, so I cannot comment on it. But it will be interesting to see whether she will stand the test of time. Will she be around 10 years from now? Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example? or Kylie Minogue?

GS
Interesting post. I have a 3-1 contract with Bouygues here in France and with the TV part I get 7 music channels - Intermezzo and Stingray are unbelievably good, music of all genres and so much more. I also get urban/latin/african and another I can't remember the name of. All of these present 'music' which I can well live without - they all feature videos mainly of females in clothing that are worn by 'professionals' and simulating sexual acts - it's relentless. When it's the female singers themselves do they ever consider how degrading to women they are and the effect on the mentality of young men and how they are going to treat women they meet in their lives. They are not selling their 'music' they are actually selling their bodies third hand. Switch off the visuals and the vast majority of the sounds you will hear is just worthless crap.

Madonna - I bought cheaply s/hand some Madonna vinyl a long time ago. Just before we left Spain in 2009 I bought a bootleg CD - Hard Candy. That has to be one of the best pieces of dance music ever. I can well imagine people dancing to this a long time from now but in general I take your point.

One of the best anti-war songs ever written was Don McLean's - The Grave 1971 - can someone point me to a current or near current anti-war song that comes anywhere near this?.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example? or Kylie Minogue?

I just listened to Kylie. For a few reasons, she's Australian, she still smokin' hot at 55 years old, and she just was honoured at the Brit awards (it was in the news, that's my excuse).

And this is seriously a catchy song for her demographic

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
? Does anyone listen to Madonna these days, for example? or Kylie Minogue?

GS
yes me - was listening to 'Light Years' just yesterday.

But I fancy Kylie and I don't fancy Taylor Swift. Or Madonna.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I 'know' only a few of her anthemic hits ('We Are Never, Ever', etc, 'Shake it Up'). I bought a used Apple 4K streaming box a few days ago and opened an Apple Music account last night, all so I could check out AM's Dolby Atmos surround mix offerings. As it happens TS's Speak Now (Taylor's Version) , which I've never heard, was on offer in the Spatial Audio section so I played the title track. Sounded like perfectly nice story-telling pop to me, with lyrics that have a bit of bite to them. Her voice on a relatively bare track like this is quite pretty. I can easily understand her having rabid fans, and I would check out more of her stuff.

(Btw, Madonna's 'Vogue' and Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' are amazing in surround and only available, afaik, on streaming, as are surround mixes of works by Pearl Jam, John Coltrane, Karajan/BPO, Sinatra, and others rarely if ever found on physical surround disc. I suspect some of them are 'upmixes' but other sound to be authentic remixes from multitracks)

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw an down to earth Interview with her and her worying parents standing up against Trump. Showing a lot of courage she really does not have to do that for her image of money stronger it could damage her. Respect Taylor.

Last edited:

Dinesh Menon

She grew up singing under the Christmas trees, honing her skills, preparing for the career of her life.
With fading Stars, entertainment galaxy was dimming, it was her turn to sing and shine. Well prepared, with Emily Dickinson in her genes, Tailored her own songs smartly and Swiftly till Midnights. Her Rhapsody became Sounds of the Season,
Fearless her Reputation grew Evermore.
Her business tuning is a Folklore now.
A Tailor-made Success Story.
I'm not a Swifty, but appreciate her approach and achievements.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like some of her songs, though I know very few.

I love her kick ass fuck you approach to re-recording her older albums. The current owners of the old recordings will soon find their inverstment is worthless.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think anyone who can make a living in the valley full of soulless snakes that is the music industry is doing something right and I support them. It's not something I would ever willingly listen to, but that's a different issue entirely.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I just listened to Kylie. For a few reasons, she's Australian, she still smokin' hot at 55 years old, and she just was honoured at the Brit awards (it was in the news, that's my excuse).

And this is seriously a catchy song for her demographic

Yes, she's an Australian icon, thus timeless. And not difficult to look at regardless of your general preferences. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, she's an Australian icon, thus timeless. And not difficult to look at regardless of your general preferences. :)
I do like sparkly. ;)

Top Bottom