• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you prefer floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers? Which do you find sound generally better at the same pricepoint?

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it ok to use bookshelf speakers as monitors, on a desk, by the way?
Why not? As long as you get some sort of isolation to reduce desk coupling and can deal with reflections.

All that to say, don't put your speaker boxes directly on your desk.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not? As long as you get some sort of isolation to reduce desk coupling and can deal with reflections.

All that to say, don't put your speaker boxes directly on your desk.
It is only temporary but yes you are right I should put something between the boxes and wooden desk.

gfx_1

Floorstanders in the living room, bookshelf speakers on the desk. I prefer the diy route bought a couple of kits over the years from a shop in a nearby city.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At the same price point? The lower the price point the more stand mount speakers will have an advantage because the cabinet is the most expensive part. At high price points stand mounts are low value compared to floor standers. At medium price points floor standers will most likely sound better in large rooms, stand mounts in small rooms.
I often scratch my head wondering what any manufacturer can put in a small stand mount speaker for it to cost in multiples of thousands of dollars? Wilson TuneTot's $10k a pair? The Duettes are $22.5k a pair??? o_O

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often scratch my head wondering what any manufacturer can put in a small stand mount speaker for it to cost in multiples of thousands of dollars? Wilson TuneTot's $10k a pair? The Duettes are $22.5k a pair??? o_O

Diamonds and pearls.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I agree for the most part, a good example is the Revel M126be, they are good speakers no doubt but the build quality doesn't seem much better, if any, than the Performa3 series at half the price. On the other hand, I finally got a listen to the KEF Reference 1 and even though I think 8k is a bit ridiculous for a pair of speakers they were the most solidly built speakers I've ever seen and sound better than anything I've heard as well. It's hard to justify the price though when the LS50's with subs get me close at 1/8 the price.

Top Bottom