• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You shouldn't need a damn license to archive. Look at archive.org, you can archive video games legally.
I posted the legal interpretation of the UK and US laws. You can read and should understand what I did.
Do you ever see anybody going to jail just because they shared a out-of-print CDs. The only time you'll see anybody go to jail is when people share currently released media that actually makes companies & artists lose millions of dollars. In my home state, It's technically illegal to collection rain water but people do it anyways.
As I said before, your arguing about the law is not my concern nor I can comment what will happen if you will be found out stealing music.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I posted the legal interpretation of the UK and US laws. You can read and should understand what I did.

As I said before, your arguing about the law is not my concern nor I can comment what will happen if you will be found out stealing music.
I mean in UK, you shouldn't need a license to archive.

That's all I can do about it, just question the law.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

flyzipper

I can record from the radio legally
It's a leap to go from making personal recordings for private non-commercial use (Home Audio Recording Act), something that was created to allow "time-shifting" of content (for example), to using that legislation to legitimize piracy. There are specifics to that legislation that you're overlooking.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they like money. They sued grandmas, dead people, people that actually didn't pirate, etc, etc.

The act doesn't care
In other words if you don’t want to be sued, don’t break the law and do not Rip/Copy/Archie/Download/etc.

Momotaro

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Why does RIAA, who are the ones who sue people successfully, says otherwise then?
Greedy, lazy, a little slow.

They certainly aren't looking at the granular level these people are talking about, downloading a mastering that they can't find otherwise. Besides, there ought to be a statute of limitations for something you've already bought five times in five different masterings. RIAA could never cook up enough funding to attempt to catch anyone who wants to copy a wav. file of a MFSL title. They're looking to run down the stuff that will produce headlines, stuff where a lot of money moved suddenly, which hasn't really been a winning program for them anyway.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, I leave you to agree on more reasons to justify why the copyright laws are wrong and wish you not to be caught by the long arm of the law. There’s no Hi-Fi in prison and you may not have much left to buy new music after paying those huge fines.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Anyway, I leave you to agree on more reasons to justify why the copyright laws are wrong and wish you not to be caught by the long arm of the law. There’s no Hi-Fi in prison and you may not have much left to buy new music after paying those huge fines.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
In other words if you don’t want to be sued, don’t break the law and do not Rip/Copy/Archie/Download/etc.
Technically yes. RIAA doesn't go after individuals for pity downloads like in the 2000's. RIAA only sues people that actually make them lose millions and millions of dollars.

RIAA is going after people like the owner of Rip Requests not average joe's. It would be a waste of money to due so.

RIAA doesn't want another one of these again:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Technically yes. RIAA doesn't go after individuals for pity downloads like in the 2000's. RIAA only sues people that actually make them lose millions and millions of dollars.

RIAA is going after people like the owner of Rip Requests not average joe's. It would be a waste of money to due so.

RIAA doesn't want another one of these again:
"I believe that if music companies are going to set examples they need to do it to appropriate people and not dead people," Chianumba told the Gazette. "I am pretty sure she is not going to leave Greenwood Memorial Park to attend the hearing."

sonitus mirus

"I believe that if music companies are going to set examples they need to do it to appropriate people and not dead people," Chianumba told the Gazette. "I am pretty sure she is not going to leave Greenwood Memorial Park to attend the hearing."
Talk about commitment, she really did RIP that music.

InsideTheWire

I mostly own my music, I have ripped my 1K+ cds to my HD. When I do stream it's mostly from Bandcamp and it's music I have either bought on bandcamp or ripped from my personal collection. I do still listen to cds on my Audiolab 6000cdt through my 20+ year old Harmon Kardon AVR110 (next in line to be ugraded).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But yet I can record from the radio legally?
Are you 101% certain?
1641344431100.png

Maybe soon, 'they' will pass a law for mandatory installation of in-ear meters, so that you can literally 'pay-as-you-go'!
CacaDeVaca.jpg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "Center for the Study of the Public Domain" at Duke Law school has different perspectives regarding
1641356696500.png

One such interesting article "What Could Have Entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2013? Under the law that existed until 1978 … Works from 1956" makes a mockery of the current system, like the era of "55MPH Saves Lives" laws but one that just refuses to die [already!].

Some of us may remember a federal jury verdict against RobinThicke/PharrellWilliams, ordering them to pay MarvinGay heirs... to the tune of $7.4Million. Page titled "The "Blurred Lines" of the Law" delves into the intricate spider-web called 'copyright-infringement' and what exactly is the definition of "original, creative expression". Me thinx it is like snake-oil's secret ingredient. :confused:

Momotaro

Having said I mostly stream, and having made fun of @bladerunner6's plan for septuagenarian wealth, I should examine the economics.

My particular "pay forever, own never" plan currently has ~35,000 items in an Apple Music library. Let's say 10-20 tracks per album, so up to 3500 CDs. When I bought them new in ancient times, they were AUD $20-30 per CD, so maybe $70,000 to "own" my current lot on physical media. Compared to Apple Music at $17.99 monthly for the next 50 years so approximately $10,000 of today's dollars—the price will creep up, and money will be worth less yada yada— it isn't a bad deal.

Of course, I'd not have bought quite that many CDs. There was a thing called radio, which I really didn't like much, JJJ and FBI-FM notwithstanding.

There's the odd downside. Grimes updated the artwork on streamed versions of Anthropocene which was odd when they just changed (I liked the original versions better). And even though I downloaded CouCou Chloe's Doom, my Music.app has just decided not to play it (religious people who don't understand tolerance in a secular society nixed that one). And X-Ray Spex discography disappeared more-or-less entirely. So sometimes you do want to own stuff. No one's stopping me doing both.

Top Bottom