• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whereas I go to my turntable, place a record on and the damn thing just works.
Without skips or pops of course. Mine works that way too.;)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Without skips or pops of course. Mine works that way too.;)
Or you could pop a tape in my old Pioneer CT-W606DR, eliminates all noise with digital noise reduction. The catch is the belts get a bit loose after 30 minutes of play.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rarely a problem for me. How does your turntable avoid it?
I started collecting records (lps) at age 14 and some are the victim of my first turntable a low end Garrard. Plus I buy used at garage sales and such.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started collecting records (lps) at age 14 and some are the victim of my first turntable a low end Garrard. Plus I buy used at garage sales and such.

Got it. Sarcasm now understood. Cheers.

(I got back in to vinyl through buying lots of newly released vinyl. Though now I have plenty of used records as well).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Whereas I go to my turntable, place a record on and the damn thing just works...
Agree ...but the turntable presents a significant problem when watching some pRon movie that is longer than 22 minutes... doesn't it?o_O
Are you sure I can't convince you to check out one of those #$%&in "Lifetime SXM subscription" hardware deals ?
PM me, if you change your mind. ;)j/k

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My father has SirusXM and he loves it alot. The song selection is very very good but the dj's go on and on. The audio quality, what audio quality? Siruxsm is very a low bitrate thats mono (Satellite not web) . I heard many songs on there that are forced into mono because they got so many useless damn channels. The web audio quality is fine, its 192kbps but at least its stereo.

I used to have free 3 month trial but I canceled within days. I found out you couldn't simply click "cancel subscription" online, you had to call them. Like any call center, its in india and they fight you hard to stay with them. Eventually they cancelled it for me. I wouldn't recommend the service, even if its a damn free trial.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree ...but the turntable presents a significant problem when watching some pRon movie that is longer than 22 minutes... doesn't it?o_O
Are you sure I can't convince you to check out one of those #$%&in "Lifetime SXM subscription" hardware deals ?
PM me, if you change your mind. ;)j/k

From my perspective "Give Me Independence From SirusXM - or Give Me Death!"

:)

gfx_1

Converted all my CD's to FLAC put them on a network drive as backup and on a USB ssd drive on a raspberry pi. The pi is always on and runs mpd and mpc https://musicpd.org/ from the apt repository and cyp from https://github.com/ondras/cyp as a quick and simple webclient.
Music goes via optical out to a topping d50s DAC or more recently via coax to the DAC in the IOTAVX NP3 which matches the rest of the stack.
Now playing a real CD using the NP3.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just recently, someone @asr made a statement along the lines of
... when I want to play music, I reach for an LP; when I want to listen to music; I reach for [digital?]..."
I think that member hit it on the head of the nail, for my sentiment.
The involvement needed for the LPs' twenty minute play-time limit became too much of deal breaker for me.
Converted all my CD's to FLAC put them on a network drive...
...and now stream locally and create playlists to listen to uninterrupted whole-house music, ALL day long. :)
When I am in an especially lazy mood to even create playlists; I rely on the mid-fi music via cable channels (ad-free) and SXM (DJ yak-ridden)!

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mainly own music. I have never streamed off of any of the popular sites.

The only time I stream is when a few friends of mine who have online radio shows are doing their thing.

Steve Rogers

I went from records to CDs to ripped music streamed to mixture of ripped+Deezer to Deezer (CD Quality) only. My CD collection is on a backup disk but did not even bother to transfer it when I got new PC.

For listening to music its great as I can find almost any album I want to hear, despite monthly charge its saved me lots and also encouraged me to try new stuff at no cost. The only downside is lack of album notes and that my Deezer "collection" (favourites) is not that well organized.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went from records to CDs to ripped music....is not that well organized.
Like you, I went thru these 3 phases and stopped when my library became my own Dewey Decimal System (DDS) on a NAS.
I was lucky to have started while purchasing LPs before 'data entry' when it was done with a pencil and paper.
Each purchase, would go thru the same ritual prior to removing the heat-shrink by a ledger entry in the form of:
BandName-AlbumName[Year] +Date/Price/Notes
When CDs came out, Lotus [?] discovered 'spreadsheets' and PCs became a thing; my DDS also went digital.
Early on, I realized that the library tree-structure had to be modified (from the old pencil+paper days) and created a "folderized" hybrid_DDS catalog to agree with DOS and later w/Windows UIs. Remembering that early years of PCs with 8 character limit for file names....
The overall organization of my DDS has been revised, modified, upgraded over the decades but in a FileManager looks like this:
Snag_18bbc23c.png

I dunno but there must be thousands and thousands of full albums (~4TB) in my library but fetching a playlist becomes a no brainer and worth being mindful of the need for top level organization.
Same organization should also apply for any library of photographs, whether via DSLRs or smartphones....

concorde1

99% owned CD's (ripped to FLAC)
1% vinyl needledrops, when there was no good CD release for an album

I don't like subscription services or streaming.
I just switched to Apple Music - never expected I would do this but I'm very satisfied with it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must confess, moving to streaming was a game changer for me. So glad I did it, should have done it a few hundred rips sooner!
Same here... I listen to much more music than I ever did.
Only issue is Classical Music.. Streaming music providers, have issues with Classical. I know that Apple acquired PrimePhonic, a very well loved and apparently full-featured Classical music streaming service. I haven't seen much Primephonic vaunted features on Apple Music, or if it is there I don't know how to invoke it, which kind of defeats the purpose of the acquisition IMO. :rolleyes:o_O

Peace.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I listen to ripped music mainly, but it's close to 50%. I subscribed to youtube music to discover new albums and have a favourites list that's a mix of newly discovered and old songs from bands I like just one or two songs of.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to ripped music mainly, but it's close to 50%. I subscribed to youtube music to discover new albums and have a favourites list that's a mix of newly discovered and old songs from bands I like just one or two songs of.
cover_image-1642508252.png

Maybe because you are using an obscure or me-too streaming service?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was an “early adopter” of file based music because I was on a flight every week and was fed up carrying a large pilot’s case full of cassettes then CDs.
Now I have retired I have gone back mainly to CDs and LPs.

Top Bottom