• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters

MattJ

I mostly own, although I listen to a lot of (gasp) Youtube.

chuckt62

Editor
I have seen Amazon Music has the "x-ray" feature included, but the information there is minimal to none. It is encouraging that they have at least included the database ability. Potentially for the future?

I suspect, but do not know, that many liner notes might carry separate copyright from the musical performance itself. Liner notes were (are?) often written by paid pros under contract for each individual album. I agree that, in my world of classical, jazz, solo instrumental, and vocal, liner notes can be invaluable -- but mostly interesting and entertaining.

Someone wrote on the web, somewhere, that Roon has the ability to associate your (somehow obtained) liner notes alongside the album. I wonder if and how that provides benefit in the real world? Does anyone use it?

I, for one, would pay a small amount monthly for a subscription to a Wiki-type searchable liner note database, if it were extensive; especially if it included the original photos, etc. But again, there may be copyright issues. -Just one man's view.
I'm not using Roon, but this is the kind of info i've seen.

Attachments

• 2c0161ad5b105fcd75ee611f42e5322a37b12124[1].jpg
    2c0161ad5b105fcd75ee611f42e5322a37b12124[1].jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 54

Obizzz

Interesting to see that Qobuz apparently has such a tiny market share it didn't even show up in this pie chart. I call that interesting because I've been under the impression many people oriented to high quality music streaming liked Qobuz, including a number of ASR members. Perhaps the inference from the pie chart is that it is an indicator of market share for people who want convenient access to music generally, as opposed to market share for audiophiles as a subset. Makes me wonder if a specific market share analysis has been done for that audiophile subset...

I’ve never seen Qobuz mentioned outside hifi-related forums or news sites.

The goto solution for most people in Sweden is Spotify but Youtube is probably popular with certain age groups.

I listen mostly to streaming these days but we still have our CD collection and I’ve ripped most of it and set it up in Roon.

I was an early adopter of Spotify back when they did open beta with invites but I’ve always kept a local collection of physical and digital media and probably will for many years to come even if most of the new music I listen to is consumed via streaming services.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Your billing address and payment method needs to be in the country from where you sign up (bright side of the story: now i am an amazon expert)
Not really.. you can change your region in Amazon to take advantage of cheaper prices for ebooks as well.

Or to subscribe to Amazon prime US and add channels like HBO.

I did that already with 2 different creditcards from Germany while purchasing digital Amazon stuff from the UK, Canada , US , Spain, france or subscribing to things like prime video (us, Canada), kindle unlimited in various countries.

There are even workarounds for countries that block foreign Creditcards (like India).

You can do that with one account and change regions. Purchases will stay all in the same account.

I'm subscribed to YouTube premium in India, Netflix in Thailand, tidal in Argentina, hbo Asia sometimes.

Most of the time all you need is a good VPN service and a creditcard that allows international purchases

Reactions: MCH

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mostly own, although I listen to a lot of (gasp) Youtube.

Despite the fact I have a large ripped CD library (full res) and Tidal streaming via my raspberry pi to my Benchmark DAC2L....I listen to tons of youtube! I discover lots of music just "going down the youtube rabbit hole" on my desktop, and I listen/watch lots of music videos on youtube, upmixed to surround via my AV reciever in my home theater. Sounds great to me!

Vuki

Spotify for background music and new releases info & discovery. CDs and hdd for listening. I love CDs - have few thousands and still buying. I also have few hundreds LPs but rarely listen to them.

Reactions: EJ3

MCH

Major Contributor
Not really.. you can change your region in Amazon to take advantage of cheaper prices for ebooks as well.

Or to subscribe to Amazon prime US and add channels like HBO.

I did that already with 2 different creditcards from Germany while purchasing digital Amazon stuff from the UK, Canada , US , Spain, france or subscribing to things like prime video (us, Canada), kindle unlimited in various countries.

There are even workarounds for countries that block foreign Creditcards (like India).

You can do that with one account and change regions. Purchases will stay all in the same account.

I'm subscribed to YouTube premium in India, Netflix in Thailand, tidal in Argentina, hbo Asia sometimes.

Most of the time all you need is a good VPN service and a creditcard that allows international purchases

Will let them solve it for me, it is their job, not mine, but thanks for the info!

Actually, while i wait for amazon (2 weeks now), i am using spotify free version, and i am thinking it might even be enough for me:

- can cast from my phone
- no publicity (small countries also have advantages)
- most times when i search for an album for the first time, it allows me to listen to it complete (not in the original song sequence though)
- i can see the lyrics on my tv! (Love this, can amazon music do it?)

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will let them solve it for me, it is their job, not mine, but thanks for the info!

Actually, while i wait for amazon (2 weeks now), i am using spotify free version, and i am thinking it might even be enough for me:

- can cast from my phone
- no publicity (small countries also have advantages)
- most times when i search for an album for the first time, it allows me to listen to it complete (not in the original song sequence though)
- i can see the lyrics on my tv! (Love this, can amazon music do it?)
MarcosCH is absolutely correct. It is stupid that any online company would be forcing "work arounds" on consumers. Get it together Amazon! There is a trend here. Not just Amazon, but companies generally appear to be shifting away from their historical emphasis on customer service...

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello again guys, i have a question for the more experienced users regarding box set catalogues in streaming services. Is it common that boxed sets of well known artists are not available?

For the ones that followed my adventures with amazon unlimited in my previous posts. Well, the return period of my fire stick was about to expire (1 month) and these guys were still unable to sign me up in amazon music.... so i decided to open a new amazon account and sign in with that. Now i have two amazon accounts with same address and same payment method, that seems to be ok with amazon, and it works...

Anyways, the first thing i did with my brand new amazon unlimited account was to try to listen Bob Dylan The Rolling Thunder Revue box set. Actually this was one of the reasons i decided to sign up to a streaming service for the first time ever. I love this tour and the box costs like 70 euros, so i thought that would buy me the first year of subscription already... and to my surprise, seems that it is not there.
Then i searched for The Velvet Underground Live at the Matrix set, that i know it is in Spotify... nothing
Then i searched for Joy Division Heart and Soul box, that i own but unfortunately lost one of the CDs years ago... not there
I mean, these are not obscure artists at all, nor small label releases.
Janes Addiction Cabinet of Curiosities, that i also own but is so pompously packaged that every time i want to listen to it, it takes me 5 minutes to extract the CD - Yeah! that one is there. But hold on, it has less songs than mine! WTF!!

I am not a box set freak, i can live a happy life without them, but i like, from time to time, a deep dive into some of my favourite music, and these boxes are often super expensive in CD... this was one of the reasons for me to consider streaming (besides the more important one of exploring new artists). It is not a no-go for me, but well, kind of bummer.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Rolling thunder bootleg series? That's on qobuz.

Velvet underground matrix set is on qobuz and tidal

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-14-36-379_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-14-36-379_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-17-53-758_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-17-53-758_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-18-33-127_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-03-13-18-33-127_com.roon.mobile.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 41

MCH

Major Contributor
Rolling thunder bootleg series? That's on qobuz.

Velvet underground matrix set is on qobuz and tidal
The VU set yes, it is that one. The other two aren't. My examples were these :

220px-Bob_Dylan_-_The_Rolling_Thunder_Revue_-_The_1975_Live_Recordings.jpg

And this:

220px-Joy_Division_-_Heart_and_Soul.jpeg

But it really is a general question, as I was surprised they are not in Amazon music. Can you find these in quobuz or tidal?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
That is the sampler, only 10 songs, also in amazon, not the full release. This is what i ended up listening to this morning :D

Luckily I listen mostly to studio albums but live albums, boxsets and movie osts are a bit of a problem on streaming Services.

I'm subscribed to qobuz (Germany) and tidal hifi in Argentina (costs only 1€ a month there).

If I find missing CDs that I really want to listen too I buy them used or as imports (when it comes to Asian artists) and rip them.
And add it all to Roon.

Roon combines tidal and qobuz + your locat library.
Maybe check it out

Music Streaming services are not as bad as Netflix with removing and adding stuff but I think there is not one and there will never be a single music streaming service that will offer everything while being lossless and bit perfect

MCH

Major Contributor
Luckily I listen mostly to studio albums but live albums, boxsets and movie osts are a bit of a problem on streaming Services.

I'm subscribed to qobuz (Germany) and tidal hifi in Argentina (costs only 1€ a month there).

If I find missing CDs that I really want to listen too I buy them used or as imports (when it comes to Asian artists) and rip them.
And add it all to Roon.

Roon combines tidal and qobuz + your locat library.
Maybe check it out

Music Streaming services are not as bad as Netflix with removing and adding stuff but I think there is not one and there will never be a single music streaming service that will offer everything while being lossless and bit perfect
I see, fair enough. It won't be the end of buying CDs for me then. Now I understand why some of these still go for $$ in discogs...

AdrianusG

For audio I only own, i stream nothing, for video however i'm subscribed to Disney+ and Netflix, and if i really really like a movie or series (for instance some good Anime) i buy on Blu-ray as well, you never know when these services pull their content!

Reactions: EJ3

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spotify , but sometimes transfer my songs and playlist to YouTube music through MuzConvtool which is absolutely reliable.
If don't mind have a few questions about that interesting option. First, I expect objective in transferring to YouTube is can watch the group's "official" music video on screen at same time, yes? Second, encounter any clocking issues between music and video in YouTube? Lastly, any deterioration in sound quality after transfer?

Also, for the crowd, anyone willing to recommend "best" converter software to YouTube from Qobuz in Windows? Intrigued by this idea and seem to be several different offerings (Soundiiz gets rather good reviews, but they're just one of several options). Thanks, gracias, danke, merci, спасибо.

Top Bottom