• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been a Qobuz subscriber almost since it started but more because of its classical content than any vaunted quality benefit.
Is this still the case after Apple’s purchase of Primephonic?

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still like having physical media and I detest the notion of a monthly charge for a stream of bits, especially less than CD quality. Yes I am old.
I am not young, either. But although I have hundreds of vinyl records and CDs, I have been almost entirely colonized (by choice) by Amazon Music HD. I suppose Tidal or such would work the same. Nine times out of ten, when I approach the music shelves, I glance around them and say to myself, "Let's shop for something new." And off I go to Amazon streaming. "What composer would I like to hear? Yeah, over here I have Gershwin, but then there's some Mendelsohn I haven't heard..." "Maybe a dose of Oscar Peterson might fit my mood..." "But then, there's Brubeck too..."
"Maybe some Diana Krall in Paris?"
Or maybe I want to let the playback system flex a little, so I can give it some Widor to let it breathe deeply. "Hi, my name is Jim and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to forever new music and hundreds of old treasures.

I am weak... but, at best, when I select something that's all wrong for me, it costs me nothing more to find out.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Relatively speaking (Stream/Own equation) and if money was not the primary 'object' in feeding our (apparent insatiable) appetite for being immersed in music:
Is the want for going w/the "streaming" route predominantly for satisfying our needs for:
(1)Discovering new musical content? or
(2)Higher [?] quality audio? or
(3)Ease of accessibility?
Broadcast (radio, cable, satellite), sharing, and foraging for my music does not employ algorithmic suggestions.
I have always been a local-content believer, with an owned library that if I press the Play button >> I would probably have enough music to last me the next whole year (24/7)... and my content is always growing, yet w/o the need streamed music.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Relatively speaking (Stream/Own equation) and if money was not the primary 'object' in feeding our (apparent insatiable) appetite for being immersed in music:
Is the want for going w/the "streaming" route predominantly for satisfying our needs for:
(1)Discovering new musical content? or
(2)Higher [?] quality audio? or
(3)Ease of accessibility?
Broadcast (radio, cable, satellite), sharing, and foraging for my music does not employ algorithmic suggestions.
I have always been a local-content believer, with an owned library that if I press the Play button >> I would probably have enough music to last me the next whole year (24/7)... and my content is always growing, yet w/o the need streamed music.
1 and 3 mostly. If music sites I peruse suggest something, it's nice to be able to "have it" (add to library, playlists etc) without worrying whether it's worth spending money on.

I'm not sure I understand the "I already have a lifetimes worth of music on my rack /hard drive" position. I do too, but by that reasoning I'd never hear the best record next week /month /year.

How do you get to hear new music other than radio?

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to see that Qobuz apparently has such a tiny market share it didn't even show up in this pie chart. I call that interesting because I've been under the impression many people oriented to high quality music streaming liked Qobuz, including a number of ASR members. Perhaps the inference from the pie chart is that it is an indicator of market share for people who want convenient access to music generally, as opposed to market share for audiophiles as a subset. Makes me wonder if a specific market share analysis has been done for that audiophile subset...

Not to mention Tidal, which doesn't show up either.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Not to mention Tidal, which doesn't show up either.
Qobuz and Tidal have a snob appeal. More to the point, Tidal was early to the 'audiophile' streaming market, and thus is entrenched amongst the audio nobility. I have yet to see any measurements that show the best of Amazon and Apple products to be inferior to Tidal -- except for the absence of the much-discussed, unproven MQA codec.

24-bit depth at 192 kHz is about as good as almost any ear needs. It's the source master files that limit the quality.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
As a listener to primarily classical music, the thing I miss the most when streaming is liner notes. Not just the names of soloists, etc. (that too), but the dozen pages of information about the music.
You may have noticed that liner notes are missing or truncated on many CDs and remastered LPs. Yeah, I miss them too.

I suspect, but do not know, that many of the writers of liner notes have copyright agreements that only permit their text on the original issue discs. Otherwise, one of the streaming services would likely add them to the files.

What we need is a sort of Wiki for album liner notes.
Please get right on that. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you get to hear new music other than radio?
I troll!
Started in the '70s w/FMrock era, avoided the disco disease, escaped the local NYC punk-scene w/o wounds, survived US rock-n-roll capitol for college, landed in W.Coast Alt. scene of early '80s, got sucked into SoCal rap-latin-reggae beats, did console design, taught recording and most of all, I always tried to keep an ear open for talent in the genres of interest to me, even in sleazy dive-bars (no disrespect)...
We can infight about nuances of the 'infusion of algorithmic playlists', as it is ingrained in the system but I try to minimize it and find it rewarding to find new talent and enjoyable music, even relying on periodicals and our own 700+page thread:
"What Are we listening to right now.."

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Hi, my name is Jim and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to forever new music and hundreds of old treasures.

I am weak... but, at best, when I select something that's all wrong for me, it costs me nothing more to find out.
Well, maybe one day after I organize what I have & listen to it all, I'll join you in that. The idea of finding new music without spending much sounds good. But I spent 18 years aboard ships (8 weeks vacation a year) going all kinds of places. And I collected a lot of LP's & CD's that I haven't yet managed to get to. It will likely be a # of years before I run out of listening to what I have bought even once. But, yes, I am sure that eventually I will cull some of it & then...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What we need is a sort of Wiki for album liner notes.
Nostalgia hit me hard recently about CDDB going proprietary (ty GraceNote) and FreeDb going DOA (rip 2019)...:(
I visited a bunch of FREE alternative sites:

AllMusic >> Link
Discogs -album cover art fair in quality >> Link
GnuDb >> Link
MusicBrainz >> Link
MusicBrainz-Picard for download/local use on WinOS w/plug-ins >> Link
Beets for MusicBrainz for collection (metadata) management >> Link
Demlo for MusicBrainz as dynamic/flexible organizer >> Link
Album Art Downloader w/plug-ins >> Link
['primus sailing' were the key search words at each link, where possible]

Maybe some of these may work as an alternative quasi-Wiki

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Well, maybe one day after I organize what I have & listen to it all, I'll join you in that. The idea of finding new music without spending much sounds good. But I spent 18 years aboard ships (8 weeks vacation a year) going all kinds of places. And I collected a lot of LP's & CD's that I haven't yet managed to get to. It will likely be a # of years before I run out of listening to what I have bought even once. But, yes, I am sure that eventually I will cull some of it & then...
A parallel?

True story. My brother's father-in-law was a compulsory New Yorker reader. He had been all his adult life. He once told me that his policy was to not start a new issue of the magazine until he had read everything of interest in the preceding issue. When he died at about age 85, my brother reported throwing out a stack of unread New Yorkers going back over three years. [No moral is intended.]
My several shelves of LPs, and another one of old CDs -- if I started listening to them right now, and did so all day, every day, would put me similarly behind. Yet I still reach for the streamer, hoping to hear a new-to-me rendition of a classical work that I might like better. If I tossed out all of the vinyl and CDs, I would miss them -- but not by much. Maybe the Kingston Trio Hungry I one...

Everybody gets to be different. It's what we call freedom.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this still the case after Apple’s purchase of Primephonic?
I haven't tried Apple music again but haven't heard a buzz about their implementation.
They didn't even have my favourite interpretation of my favourite work when I had my 6 month free trial when I bought the iPad.
Incidentally for anybody who doesn't know, once I ascertained it wasn't going to be for me long term I cancelled expecting to gat the full 6 months trial but not risking ending up forgetting and paying but the access was cut immediately.

As an engineer who started using Apple computers in the early 80s I have become steadily more disappointed by the company over the last few years, the longevity of the hardware is no longer there to justify the price IME.
:(

Dumdum

Apple Music for the most part, streamed from my iPhone via a topping d10 at work or from my Apple TV 4K’s at home

I predict the next gen of Apple TV will support hi res streaming over wifi, they could doubtless support it now but financially it makes sense to add it as a feature on the next generation

chuckt62

Editor
As a listener to primarily classical music, the thing I miss the most when streaming is liner notes. Not just the names of soloists, etc. (that too), but the dozen pages of information about the music.
From what I understand, this is what Roon specializes in.

sofrep811

Own lots of vinyl, SACDs, and mostly stream nowadays. When I hear something I really like I'll look for it on a physical medium.

I prefer the audio quality from vinyl or SACD compared to my stream, which is just an IFI Blue Zen v2. But streaming is epic. I'd like to know what kind of effect it will have on culture later in the years. Music pushed teen culture.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Own lots of vinyl, SACDs, and mostly stream nowadays. When I hear something I really like I'll look for it on a physical medium.

I prefer the audio quality from vinyl or SACD compared to my stream, which is just an IFI Blue Zen v2. But streaming is epic. I'd like to know what kind of effect it will have on culture later in the years. Music pushed teen culture.
I have seen Amazon Music has the "x-ray" feature included, but the information there is minimal to none. It is encouraging that they have at least included the database ability. Potentially for the future?

I suspect, but do not know, that many liner notes might carry separate copyright from the musical performance itself. Liner notes were (are?) often written by paid pros under contract for each individual album. I agree that, in my world of classical, jazz, solo instrumental, and vocal, liner notes can be invaluable -- but mostly interesting and entertaining.

Someone wrote on the web, somewhere, that Roon has the ability to associate your (somehow obtained) liner notes alongside the album. I wonder if and how that provides benefit in the real world? Does anyone use it?

I, for one, would pay a small amount monthly for a subscription to a Wiki-type searchable liner note database, if it were extensive; especially if it included the original photos, etc. But again, there may be copyright issues. -Just one man's view.

Top Bottom