• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I must confess, moving to streaming was a game changer for me. So glad I did it, should have done it a few hundred rips sooner!
What is difference in the listening experience for you? I assume you already have a lot of music on file.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is difference in the listening experience for you? I assume you already have a lot of music on file.
Flexibility (multiple devices), not having to worry about storage or limiting my available selection on a device, price, availability /library size.

I now add approx 5 to 10 albums a week to my streaming library. That would have cost at least £50 per week on CD that I wouldn't have had the chance to listen to .

Last edited:

kchap

Forum Donor
Flexibility (multiple devices), not having to worry about storage or limiting my available selection on a device, price, availability /library size.

I now add approx 5 to 10 albums a week to my streaming library. That would have cost at least £50 per week on CD that I wouldn't have listened to.
I can see why you prefer streaming. For me I had a reasonable CD collection already and in addition was given a large collection. I've enjoyed the process of of converting them to flac. Storage is not a problem.

Too many DACs> Yes. Too many amps> Possibly. Too many headphones> Working on it. Exacerbated by too much retirement income> Definitely.

Teeter

My Denon AVR has HEOS, for streaming all kinds of music, w/o having to change CD's. I stream music, when I retire in the evenings and can control from my bed. :)

I did make my own cassette tape music years ago, downloaded from cable music onto VCR and edited onto cassette tape. Also, recorded music I liked from the internet, onto CD's. The CD's, I might transfer to a flash drive, one of these days, if feel like it. I am retired and do not spend hours in the car anymore. I never subscribed to satellite radio.

Last edited:

JeremyFife

50/50 for me these days. Streaming is my background music and where I explore new things.
When I like something I tend to buy it, often on vinyl. If I buy on CD I rip it to FLAC, more often than not I buy the digital file - all goes on the NAS.

I'd stream more if I could be sure of the provenance, of the mastering and how compression/loudness has been applied. Sometimes I buy a track just to check that - it's way harder to get information on the digital file than it is on a vinyl or cd release. I don't like the way that streaming service (Amazon for me) only offer one version of an album, and don't tell me enough about it.

Poor mastering is far more significant to me than any file format or resolution - 16/44.1 and 320Kbs can sound fantastic.
Hi Res but compressed for loudness is a waste of time.

Plus I'm old - I like the physical media :)

Marc v E

Major Contributor
cover_image-1642508252.png

Maybe because you are using an obscure or me-too streaming service?
Youtube music. It thought I mentioned it but I see I forgot. Before this I had Spotify. Youtube music learned in 3 months my preferences better than Spotify in two years.

Thermionics

Own. The only streaming I do is when I'm listening to Portland All Classical or KEXP Seattle.

(note - I've ripped all my CDs to FLAC and run LMS on a Windows Server 2016 Essentials platform and use a flock (herd? gaggle?) of Raspberry Pi renderers running Moode in various systems around the house)
Oh yeah, I probably have around 1000 LPs as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wow, the current totals are surprising me. Never would have guessed almost 50% here are mainly streaming.
I mainly own but also stream. I used to only stream to investigate new music but now with the flood of Atmos/Multich music appearing on Apple I'm steaming a bit more than I used to.
I still don't like to rely on the internet for my listening.

BinkieHuckerback

I'm 'old' and have had vinyl and CD and cassette collections. I couldn't be be happier with streaming. Music, music, music wherever I go.

MCH

Major Contributor
I live in a small country, and trying to sign up to a streaming platform (amazon music) for the first time is being more difficult than expected.
So far i had to talk with customer service of three different countries and one week later still nothing. Last Thursday i spent 3.5 hours on the phone.
At this pace the 1000 cd ripping i did last winter will end up being an easier job...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in a small country, and trying to sign up to a streaming platform (amazon music) for the first time is being more difficult than expected.
So far i had to talk with customer service of three different countries and one week later still nothing. Last Thursday i spent 3.5 hours on the phone.
At this pace the 1000 cd ripping i did last winter will end up being an easier job...
Can you vpn for sign up? Or does the country of credit card /bank also screw you?

(I recall a post on here where the poster signed up for tidal where it was cheaper using that method)

MCH

Major Contributor
Can you vpn for sign up? Or does the country of credit card /bank also screw you?

(I recall a post on here where the poster signed up for tidal where it was cheaper using that method)
Your billing address and payment method needs to be in the country from where you sign up (bright side of the story: now i am an amazon expert)

D

Deleted member 47224

I mainly own. The only streaming I do is for discovery, mainly Bandcamp and YouTube. The first reason is I'm very picky about what I buy so I don't have a large collection. The second reason is to support a bit more, at least I hope, artists I really like and often listen to.

SKBubba

I used to be local only, about 1200 cds and albums converted to flac and played back using jriver.

Then I got roon, and then they integrated tidal/qobuz, and I haven't bought a cd or download since.

I used soundiiz to replicate my local albums catalog into my streaming service library so I can listen to anything on the go.

KellenVancouver

Interesting to see that Qobuz apparently has such a tiny market share it didn't even show up in this pie chart. I call that interesting because I've been under the impression many people oriented to high quality music streaming liked Qobuz, including a number of ASR members. Perhaps the inference from the pie chart is that it is an indicator of market share for people who want convenient access to music generally, as opposed to market share for audiophiles as a subset. Makes me wonder if a specific market share analysis has been done for that audiophile subset...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to see that Qobuz apparently has such a tiny market share it didn't even show up in this pie chart. I call that interesting because I've been under the impression many people oriented to high quality music streaming liked Qobuz, including a number of ASR members. Perhaps the inference from the pie chart is that it is an indicator of market share for people who want convenient access to music generally, as opposed to market share for audiophiles as a subset. Makes me wonder if a specific market share analysis has been done for that audiophile subset...
Of the people I know who are music lovers a complete total of none whatsoever are audiophiles and they listen to whatever gives them the piece of music they want to listen to.

I have been a Qobuz subscriber almost since it started but more because of its classical content than any vaunted quality benefit.

My wife is a professional musician and conductor and if she is looking at new repertoir or different interpretations I offer to play it on my hifi system but she insists she can get everything she needs from her laptop speakers.

Scytales

Forum Donor
I'm still playing physical formats. I have not yet listen to all my collection of CDs and SA-CDs.

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still playing physical formats. I have not yet listen to all my collection of CDs and SA-CDs.
No SA-CD's (that I know of, maybe there are some). But I still have not listened to all my CD's & LP's (several of both have yet to be opened). So it will be a long time before I stream music, if ever.

Top Bottom