• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

do you have a particular speaker recommendation for rock/pop music?

insoc

I know that a good speaker should sound great with all kind of music but I think that sometimes a very "analytical" or "neutral" sounding speaker is not as "entertaining" to hear as a so-called "musical" speaker. If you believe that too, have you heard speakers that excel in those particular genres? Thank you!

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Cerwin Vega

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wall of Sound - Grateful Dead.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
rock will have a lot of bass, so I suggest ensuring that your speaker can reproduce that

IOW, not small Maggies or Quads

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You just want something that can handle the dynamic range with low distortion, with a neutral sound profile. Any hint of brightness will lead to fatigue.

Not necessarily in order of performance:

Budget:

JBL Studio 530/570/580/590

Step up 1:

ELAC Debut Reference DBR62/DFR52
Revel M16/F36
Focal Aria 906/926
Arendal 1961 Bookshelf/Tower

Step up 2:

Genelec 8030c
Buchardt S400
Selah Purezza
Philharmonic BMR
Revel M106
JBL HDI-1600
Arendal 1723 Monitor

Step up 3:

JBL HDI-3600/3800
Revel F206/F208
Arendal 1723 Tower

Step up 4:

Buchardt A700
Revel F226Be/F228Be/F328Be

There are of course many more if you want to spend more.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^ That looks like a disaster.
By all accounts, it was not.
EV T35 tweeter arrays notwithstanding -- well -- maybe they were T350s.
By the time I was "on the bus" (so to speak), they'd gone to much more modest sound reinforcement "solutions".

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By all accounts, it was not.
EV T35 tweeter arrays notwithstanding -- well -- maybe they were T350s.
By the time I was "on the bus" (so to speak), they'd gone to much more modest sound reinforcement "solutions".

Surely that caused the band permanent hearing damage :confused:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My rock and pop music is mostly mellow vocal orientated stuff - might be called country rock, folk rock etc.. - lots of harmony singing and delicate sounds.

I use speakers with ribbon mids and tweeters as well as lots of room treatment and EQ. The result is that I can often peer into the music and its beauty. Obviously this is recording dependent. I would guess that electrostats would also serve me well.

However those that like thumping bass and loud may not like the sound I get.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If I could have only one speaker, I would take somethimg neutral, but I definitely like to play with speakers that are not neutral, especially when I am using old amps and old media. I really like horn speakers, and full range speakers, especially eficient ones in big boxes.

If you want good frequency response, JBL speakers with big drivers and lots of cone area would be the best I think. You can get efficient ones with horns too, which would be about perfect for good rock reproduction.

If you want some coloration, maybe try a Crites Cornscalla, Klipsch Cornwall, or Klipsch Heresy. Same idea, but a little more retrospective. Big cones and horns.

Sort of depends on what you are going for. As I said, I would not choose colored FR speakers except to supplement more transparent speakers in the stable. Some of the JBLs can do it all. Klipsch RP 8000F might be good all around too, but I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom