• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you guys leave your solid state Integ Amps on all the time?

pinger

I have two systems. One I use every day. The other sometimes is idle for a week or more. Is it ok to leave both on? Leave the daily use one on and turn off the other? Turn off both? Doesn't matter?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I leave my headphone amp on 24/7/365. Before when I had a active tri-amp'd system I left it all powered up all the time.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. It takes two seconds for my amps and DACs to operate at their best. There’s no reason to be wasting that energy and capacitor life.

stoo23

You could Lose your Job if you inadvertently turned Any equipment Off at the ABC/BBC, EMI or Air studios just to name a few, unless the equipment had failed and needed to go to the service department :)
There are arguments for both but InRush current when powering up is and can still be an issue, especially with less than ideally designed PSU's

A 'Filament' light globe that is Never turned off will vastly outlast one that is regularly turned off and on. :)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could Lose your Job if you inadvertently turned Any equipment Off at the ABC/BBC, EMI or Air studios just to name a few, unless the equipment had failed and needed to go to the service department :)
There are arguments for both but InRush current when powering up is and can still be an issue, especially with less than ideally designed PSU's

A 'Filament' light globe that is Never turned off will vastly outlast one that is regularly turned off and on. :)
I don't think the OP is referring to his/her workplace though.

Putter

Forum Donor
I lost a Denon AVR-590 AV receiver due to turn on. To put it into perspective, I had it on a power strip so that it was completely off, rather than in standby and apparently the surge killed the power supply. I lack the skills to fix an amp after the magic smoke has appeared.:oops:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and apparently the surge killed the power supply.
Install a whole house surge protector.

DonR

Major Contributor
I leave the headphone amp on when my computer is on and off when my computer is asleep (via smart plug). AVR stays off on standby until needed and the power amps are on a control strip commanded by the AVR.

norman bates

Forum Donor
yup, inrush current on old equipment.

Like a light bulb that tends to pop when you turn it on................

An equalizer I am currently looking at (current production dbx) doesn't even have a switch, it is always on.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yup, inrush current on old equipment.

Like a light bulb that tends to pop when you turn it on................

An equalizer I am currently looking at (current production dbx) doesn't even have a switch, it is always on.
If your amp fries from inrush current when you turn it on, then that amp deserves to be fried.

stoo23

If your amp fries from inrush current when you turn it on, then that amp deserves to be fried.
Hmmm, with the greatest of respect, that's a very Short-sighted viewpoint.
There are Many reasons it can be a Problem and Not merely because of Poor Equipment. That may not help but has almost nothing to do with the actual Problem.

Might Not be a Problem in a 'Perfect World', with Perfect Mains power and with Perfectly loaded and Protected Mains transformers but not everyone lives in that environment and even really Good more modern equipment Could be affected after a Power Outage etc :)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm, with the greatest of respect, that's a very Short-sighted viewpoint.
There are Many reasons it can be a Problem and Not merely because of Poor Equipment. That may not help but has almost nothing to do with the actual Problem.

Might Not be a Problem in a 'Perfect World', with Perfect Mains power and with Perfectly loaded and Protected Mains transformers but not everyone lives in that environment and even really Good more modern equipment Could be affected after a Power Outage etc :)
If you are talking about power issues, that's power issues, it has nothing to do with the equipment, let alone leaving it on 24x7.

If you have power issues then address that, what would leaving your equipment on 24x7 do for power issues?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, turn stuff off when not in use....just the way I was raised :)
Then again some of that stuff is just in standby unless you cut power access.....I'd only do a disconnect for very long absences, tho.

stoo23

Sorry, I feel you have misunderstood my reference to poor power and power failures.
But no bother, it's been a tough day and I can't be bothered arguing or trying to explain the reference.
'Good' equipment can be damaged, (not just stuff that apparently Should be Fried), irrespective of your belief, especially if it has Big transformers and large discharged Caps'.
I'll leave it with you, don't believe me just do some Googling :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current
https://hyteps.com/power-quality/inrush-current/

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom