• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you guys leave your solid state Integ Amps on all the time?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to follow the advice to leave everything on all the time, particularly as a relative pioneer computer programmer (I wrote the first software that earned me money in 1970), computer hardware people were pretty fixed on the leaving it on thing, apparently early valve based computers with huge numbers of valves almost always had an inrush failure on one valve when switched on so once it actually was working it never got switched off.
35 years ago I started working away from home for weeks at a time and switched everything off before leaving, including switching off at the plug (I realise not all countries have switched plugs) and never had a failure of any item switching back on when I got home so continued even after I retired.
I even switch off items which have standby and a remote control at the plug when I go to bed.
Most of my kit is pretty old now and has only been switched on when being used, however complex or otherwise.

I do remember incandescent light bulbs and valves failing at switch on.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I used to leave stuff on all the time and I didn't have failures. I now turn it off and I've not had failures.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My "startup/ignition sequences" and "shutdown sequences" would be of your reference and interest;
- The latest "startup/ignition sequences" and "shutdown sequences" in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023: #776 on my project thread.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Everything in my house goes off before I go to bed, except the roof mounted fixed wireless and router for internet as it takes a few minutes to achieve lock otherwise. (and it's too hard to lean down behind the filing cabinet to switch off the POE injector).

Leaving HiFi on when you are not using it, makes absolutely no sense- completely unjustifiable in my opinion.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How about your refrigerator?:D

Ok, you got me on that. :)

The microwave and the oven both have clocks. What else? Not much. I might set the washing machine to turn on before I wake up, but otherwise its power switch is off too. The HWS is demand/ripple control and off mostly at night.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, you got me on that. :)

The microwave and the oven both have clocks. What else? Not much. I might set the washing machine to turn on before I wake up, but otherwise its power switch is off too. The HWS is demand/ripple control and off mostly at night.
Smoke detector? Carbon monoxide detector?

Alarm clock? HVAC? Alarm clock? Your phone?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a side note, there is something I want to address: There is no such thing as electronics warm up. Your electronics (perhaps with the exception of tube amps?) works to spec almost instantaneously when you turn it on.

You will have manufacturers who likes to play into that snake oil BS, like Schiit, the power switch is on the back of the unit, because their intention is for you to keep it on all the time.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Smoke detector? Carbon monoxide detector?

Alarm clock? HVAC? Alarm clock? Your phone?

None of those, smart ass. ;)

Smoke detectors are battery. Phone is off charge and CO detection is not something needed in Australia. Alarm clocks are not needed- we get the sun at 0500hrs and birds. Fuggin noisy cockatoos and magpies. Even had another Koala the other morning scratching up the bush behind my bedroom window. Cute as a button, but noisy bastards crunching around in the dry leaves behind our bedroom window like a burglar. Thing is, burglars/intruders would make 'less' noise. LOL If it isn't them, it's the wallabies.

The joys of living in Australia...

TK750

roof mounted fixed wireless and router for internet as it takes a few minutes to achieve lock otherwise.
Ooh interesting, is this common in (I assume) more remote parts of Australia? What kind of speed and latency do you get if you don't mind me asking?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of those, smart ass. ;)

Smoke detectors are battery. Phone is off charge and CO detection is not something needed in Australia. Alarm clocks are not needed- we get the sun at 0500hrs and birds. Fuggin noisy cockatoos and magpies. Even had another Koala the other morning scratching up the bush behind my bedroom window. Cute as a button, but noisy bastards crunching around in the dry leaves behind our bedroom window like a burglar. Thing is, burglars/intruders would make 'less' noise. LOL If it isn't them, it's the wallabies.

The joys of living in Australia...
What you need is one of those master switch that they have in a hotel room where your key card is needed to turn everything on, of course with your frig, microwave and oven on a separate circuit! :D

izeek

mine has been on for as long as ive had it. unless im going away for a few days.
works for me.

Byrdsmaniac

I have two systems. One I use every day. The other sometimes is idle for a week or more. Is it ok to leave both on? Leave the daily use one on and turn off the other? Turn off both? Doesn't matter?
I've never done it on purpose. I don't see any point. I started buying solid state audio gear in 1969. Last I heard every single amplifier or receiver I ever owned was still in use at least two decades after I sold it. A Marantz 1060 from 1973 still gets daily use.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did it many years ago 24/7 2 class A 50 watt amps. Last 15 years (integrated amp) when i'm in a serious mood :facepalm: about 2 hours up front low volume playing before listening in the chair.

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm really confused. If you turn off your amp, won't the electrons in the interconnects and speaker cables realign themselves in a less-than-optimum orientations? Especially with the disruption of the magnetic fields caused by carpets and other forms of flooring (assuming you do not have appropriate cable risers). It can take >2,000 hours of listening again before the system settles back in and sounds its best -- and that's assuming you have a proper upgraded audiophile fuse.

DonR

Major Contributor
As a side note, there is something I want to address: There is no such thing as electronics warm up. Your electronics (perhaps with the exception of tube amps?) works to spec almost instantaneously when you turn it on.

You will have manufacturers who likes to play into that snake oil BS, like Schiit, the power switch is on the back of the unit, because their intention is for you to keep it on all the time.
For consumer electronics I agree. Most instrumentation requires a period of warmup to reach a stable temperature where readings can be trusted.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most instrumentation requires a period of warmup to reach a stable temperature where readings can be trusted.
I have a gas leak detector in the house, which requires calibration when you first turn it on, that calibration takes 60 seconds. I also know a VOC meter also needs some time to calibrate when you first turn it on. It would not surprise me that there may be some industrial precision measurement tools that requires some time to calibrate or to reach temperature stability.

DonR

Major Contributor
I have a gas leak detector in the house, which requires calibration when you first turn it on, that calibration takes 60 seconds. I also know a VOC meter also needs some time to calibrate when you first turn it on. It would not surprise me that there may be some industrial precision measurement tools that requires some time to calibrate or to reach temperature stability.
A lot of lab instrumentation isn't stable for several hours, particularly those with ovenized oscillators. I think this is where the myth of "warm up" period for consumer gear came from, that and tube equipment.

Top Bottom