• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do USB Midi Controllers such as Presonus Atom SQ benefit from Audio Interface Latency ?

umbral

Do USB Midi Controllers such as Presonus Atom SQ benefit from Audio Interface Latency ?

Are there any Audio Interfaces that can take in such a device with USB connection : https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ and would you see any benefit compared to connecting it directly to a USB port of a computer ?

This device has no normal midi in and midi out so such ports on an interface are not usable with this one.

Thank you very much.

PaulD

No, although the question does not make much sense to me.

Audio and MIDI are fundamentally different and completely independent, even when in the same device. MIDI is a low bandwidth networking protocol with a syntax that makes sense for musical information, such as note-on, note-off, pitchbend, controller change, and so on. The transport was traditionally over basic cables with 5-pin DIN plugs, but nowadays it is more commonly transported over USB or ethernet. For many applications it has been replaced by OSC (Open Sound Control), but it is still common in control applications like lighting and synthesiser controllers.

Some Audio interfaces include MIDI interfaces so easily connect synthesisers and keyboard controllers and so on.

Back in the 1990s I ran tests on the latency of MIDI interfaces and I found the Roland were some of the best, although I never had any issues with those on MOTU interfaces. I did find Yamaha implementations overloaded ungracefully when they were stressed with a lot of data.

Are there any Audio Interfaces that can take in such a device with USB connection : https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ and would you see any benefit compared to connecting it directly to a USB port of a computer ?

This device has no normal midi in and midi out so such ports on an interface are not usable with this one.

Thank you very much.

Top Bottom