• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

add power to audio interface

mla

Hi,
I have old but still in top shape Lexicon Lambda audio interface.
It serves me fine from 2006 for studio recordings using Reaper.

I would like to use it as non powered by computer unit in next scenario :

The microphone connected to the XLR in. I would like to connect a smartphone with USB C port to the interface only USB B port.
The smartphone to be used is Samsung Galaxy Note9. I want to use it as a recorder for recording the microphone signal
If I'll connect a cable using an adapter USB B of interface to USB C of the phone, I think the the battery of the phone will not support a power for the interface.

Am I right? So, I would like to ask...
Is it possible to use usb splitter connected to USB B port of the aud interface for adding and external 5 V and taking the audio signal by USB C cable to the smartphone for a recording.

Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I'll connect a cable using an adapter USB B of interface to USB C of the phone, I think the the battery of the phone will not support a power for the interface.

Am I right?
The phone may be able to supply enough power to run the Lexicon Lambda.
Still, it will quickly drain the phone's battery.

Is it possible to use usb splitter connected to USB B port of the aud interface for adding and external 5 V and taking the audio signal by USB C cable to the smartphone for a recording.
Yes. Here are a few adapters that can split power and data in this way:

1: This + This
(will charge your phone as well) (may require suitable USB-C charger to work)

2: This + This

3: This + This
(will not charge your phone) (will work with all chargers and power banks)

PS: the best recording quality on Android can be achieved using USB Audio Recorder Pro, as it will take the audio directly from your interface, instead of first going through the Android audio pipeline.

OP
M

mla

PS: the best recording quality on Android can be achieved using USB Audio Recorder Pro, as it will take the audio directly from your interface, instead of first going through the Android audio pipeline.
Thank you very much for the detailed answer... so the general answer is YES to possibility to "add" external power and use data transfer from Audio interface to smartphone.
I don't need to power/charge the phone, but the interface box.

I ordered B male to A female adapter. Have to decide for the next one based on what I have for 110 to 5V for powering interface box.
Thanks again.

OP
M

mla

Just out of curiousity... would the power from power adapter will flow to the interface box only or it will be evenly distributed to the phone?
From my vision it should "leak" to the phone too even using point 3 from your initial answer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just out of curiousity... would the power from power adapter will flow to the interface box only or it will be evenly distributed to the phone?
From my vision it should "leak" to the phone too even using point 3 from your initial answer.
Only 1 and 2 will charge your phone in addition to supplying power to the interface.
3 cannot charge your phone, as the adapter lacks a VBUS connection to the phone. Therefore, no current can flow to, or from the phone.

Reactions: mla

Zek

Major Contributor
Point 3 works like this...
USB C:C Y-splitter.jpg

OP
M

mla

just to be sure... the data will flow to both directions, right? I need to record from interface...
So USB A would get power from an external source. Data-USB C connects to the phone and DAC USB C goes to adapter connected to interface.
Is my RED arrow correct?

Attachments

• solution without phone charging with my addition.jpg
    solution without phone charging with my addition.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 41

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
just to be sure... the data will flow to both directions, right? I need to record from interface...
Yes, you still have the same data connections. Only the 5V wire/connection is different. (And all 3 connections need a common ground.)

OP
M

mla

based on approved above connections, would use of these adapter and spliter work in same way for powering the audio interface and getting the data for recording to smartphone? plz see pics

Attachments

• desired connection.jpg
    desired connection.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Lexicon Lambda.jpg
    Lexicon Lambda.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 31
  • usb b to A f.jpg
    usb b to A f.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 32
  • USB A plug of the splitter.jpg
    USB A plug of the splitter.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 32

staticV3

Master Contributor
based on approved above connections, would use of these adapter and spliter work in same way for powering the audio interface and getting the data for recording to smartphone? plz see pics
I don't think so. Definitely not in the way that you wrote on the picture.
And probably not at all with that particular USB splitter.

OP
M

mla

I don't think so. Definitely not in the way that you wrote on the picture.
And probably not at all with that particular USB splitter.
Thank you very much... I don't have a deep understanding, so "created" my kind of solution :) based on your idea.

OP
M

mla

OP
M

mla

sure I can try...
does the splitter you refer to has some active circuit inside? Probably you are sure that suggested splitter would work fine?
Thank you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
does the splitter you refer to has some active circuit inside? Probably you are sure that suggested splitter would work fine?
#1 and #2 have active circuitry inside to manage the Power Delivery handshake and distribution.

#3 is just a "dumb" piece of copper cables, which has its advantages.

OP
M

mla

cannot demistify :) ...

I received USB-B to C adapter (waiting for the splitter C to C and A).
So decided to check it's functionnality.

1. with inserted received adapter (B male to C female) to interface box I connected it to power adapter of 2A using USB C cable.
The power led did not come up.

2. I connected USB C cable to computer USB port. The power led did light up.

First I was blaming the received adapter. After point 2 - it's clear that adapter is fine.

3. To be sure I checked the information about amperage of PC USB-C port.
Below is the info found... The comp I use is Lenovo tiny i7 that is at least 7 years old model. I don't think that pc port can provide more than 2 Amps,
that were provided by usb power charger mentioned in point 1.

Is there any explanation to that? What I should try? ... yehh tomorrow I will pick 3 Amps power adapter.

INFO:
The amperage of a USB-C computer port can vary depending on the manufacturer and model. According to a Super User post, the USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices. A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. Ports that support USB-BC, USB-PD, or some vendor specified protocol can provide more power. And most any port on a computer that supports USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 will support more power with one of these protocols. 1.5 amps from most any USB-A or USB-C port is common. 2.4 amps on USB-A and 3.0 amps on USB-C isn’t rare. If you need more information about the amperage of a specific USB-C port, I recommend checking the manufacturer’s documentation.

Attachments

• advise 1.jpg
    advise 1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20231104_180304.jpg
    IMG_20231104_180304.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Power from comp.jpg
    Power from comp.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
M

mla

tried with 3 amps charger... NO GO...

It works when powering from PC USB port... what it could be?

Attachments

• 3 Amp charger.jpg
    3 Amp charger.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
M

mla

could you please try to find first in #3 https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003097221593.html on amazon... I cannot find this config...

Probably the one below will not work

Thanks.

OP
M

mla

I solved the problem without any splitter. I posted on this thread:

Top Bottom