• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do RCA cables have a sound? ChatGPT says they do.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
speaking of AI -- I am (so far) actively avoiding any encounters of the LLM AI kind, so I don't know... but...
How do the AI chatbots do when asked about some of those classic internet "Fools! They laughed at me at University, but I'll show them!" topics , e.g.,
  • chemtrails
  • scalar energy
  • thimerosal and autism (or whatever)
  • [mRNA] vaccines and whatever
You know, all that stuff they don't want you to know about.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a reminder: artificial intelligence originates, ultimately, in human beings. And human beings are idiots.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not mechanical but still can be "correct" twice a day.
Yeah - but it wasn't the "correct twice a day" that made the clock under discussion "mechanical".

It was the "being mechanical" that did that. :D

DonR

Major Contributor
Yeah - but it wasn't the "correct twice a day" that made the clock under discussion "mechanical".

It was the "being mechanical" that did that. :D
I thought the premise was that being correct twice a day was not an analog vs digital distinction but a mechanical vs non-mechanical. Any clock that displays digits of precise finite value to represent time rather than an imprecise and possible infinite segmentation of space to represent time can be called digital.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to get really scared about LLMs, read this: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...less-the-risks-of-ai-for-scientific-research/

Apparently some otherwise respectable researchers raised the idea of using LLMs instead of humans in psychological research. Which in our world would be a bit like expecting the cardboard box a speaker came in to sound like the speaker itself. Just unfathomably stupid. And they have PhDs.

Imagine how stupid things are going to get with less-educated folk.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Degrees don't make you smart, some of the dumbest people I've ever meet had PhDs.
I certainly agree, but you'd think someone specifically trained to do psychological research would understand you need actual people to generate data about people. You'd really hope so, anyway.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I certainly agree, but you'd think someone specifically trained to do psychological research would understand you need actual people to generate data about people. You'd really hope so, anyway.

Not really, some academics are incredibly weird, illogical, etc.

In college i worked part time as a paid research assistant. One day during a departmental meeting a professor told a few of us he bought a bigger monitor because "he needed more storage space". My peers and I were looking at each other like wtf? A few days later a friend found out exactly what he was talking about. He stored everything on his desktop (several hundred individual files and a handful of folders).

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Oddly… in a blind abx test we were able to pick out a certain rca vs three others 100% of the time,
Not all RCA interconnect cables are good interconnect cables!
In fact some audiophile/boutique cables are just terrible!
The audible differences will come down to susceptibility to noise or interference.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the premise was that being correct twice a day was not an analog vs digital distinction but a mechanical vs non-mechanical. Any clock that displays digits of precise finite value to represent time rather than an imprecise and possible infinite segmentation of space to represent time can be called digital.
I simply had a rant about mechanical clocks being referred to as analogue clocks. They are not. My comment was nothing about digital displays or about right twice a day. Feel free to go back and read the post you quoted. :p

Dumdum

Of course, they can. Especially those that are poorly made and have higher resistance or capacitance. Most competently engineered cables will be transparent.
I made three of the four cables, from cable ranging from 1.50 to 6.50 a metre, the same plugs and silver solder used for each lead

I am happy that all cables I made were good, not poorly engineered as you seem to imply should make a difference

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I made three of the four cables, from cable ranging from 1.50 to 6.50 a metre, the same plugs and silver solder used for each lead

I am happy that all cables I made were good, not poorly engineered as you seem to imply should make a difference

I think he is referring to the actual cable used, not you ability to properly construct them.

Dumdum

I think he is referring to the actual cable used, not you ability to properly construct them.
The capacitance and resistance did vary in the three, however we are also told that within reason it should be inaudible, yet we were able to identify one cable with 100% accuracy

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The capacitance and resistance did vary in the three, however we are also told that within reason it should be inaudible, yet we were able to identify one cable with 100% accuracy
So if it audibly alters the sound, it must be possible to measure the resistance, capacitance and inductance.

Then do the calculation of the effect on frequency response (taking into account the input and output impedance of the devices on each end of the cable) and see why.

Or just do a frequency response measurement with that cable compared to the others if that is easier.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

just to keep this topic going :)
The measurements confirm what everyone already knows.... RCA cables measure different.
RCA cables have different shielding.

But lets be real about for instance the cable 'impedance' test.
We see measurements in the range of mohm to several ohm.
Let's do some calcultions based on a 1kohm load (which is already unrealistically low).
With 0 ohm there is no attenuation.
With 5 ohm there is an HF attenuation of a whopping 0.02dB (at 200kHz) !
That's going to be audible for sure.

The 'audio test' also already confirms what everyone knows... no correlation between measurements and subjective evaluations.

for the conclusions they drew:
Let’s conclude the article by saying that every cable just works. We didn’t hear a really bad cable. Even the stock interlink still did certain things just fine
That seems correct.

The correlations observed suggest intricate relationships between the physical and electrical properties of the cables and their performance in signal transmission and handling.
Not surprising to see a correlation between cable construction and electrical properties and thus signal transmission.

speaker cables are not RCA interlinks.

Top Bottom