• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do objectivists like tubes?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As an objectivist I'm totally happy to include distortion in my stereo playback from devices such as tube amps if it sounds good to me. So far I haven't heard a tube amp that did anything special for me, except make me reminisce about the old days. Like CRT displays, it's amazing how well they work but I don't prefer them for anything other than an authentic experience of older tech. Film vs digital photography seems like a similar comparison. Film looks great. It's flaws can be appealing at times but I think it's mostly nostalgia. There are film filters in Adobe Lightroom. They are fun to look at but I never actually select them to share a photo.

I think it's high time somebody made a hifi tube amp digital filter. Is there such a thing? If I could run my digital source through it and select different hifi tube amp effects (not guitar amp effects!) I think I'd enjoy playing with that from time to time.

levimax

Major Contributor
I got into vintage equipment / tubes after having to throw away many thousands of dollars worth of medium/high end Hi-Fi gear because it was "un-repairable" after just a few years. Vintage tube amps are easy and exciting (dangerous) to work on with 500+ volts and I learned a lot. I have since moved onto DIY SS equipment (ESP and Neurochrome) and am very happy that anything that breaks or needs modification I can do myself. I have done ABX testing of tube vs SS amps and can tell no difference in SQ even though I can measure differences... for daily use I use SS and play with tube amps for fun.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love me some Thermionic valves.

Last set was DHT pushing high sensitivity, crossoverless open baffle speakers. The newer stuff is easily better than the finest tube gear I could ever afford, without the need for more AC.

egellings

Major Contributor
In the case of the Stax electrostatic headphone amp, the H.V. swing capability of tubes came in handy, since a step-up output transformer was not needed. Directly drive the diaphragms and get if over with.

levimax

Major Contributor
In the case of the Stax electrostatic headphone amp, the H.V. swing capability of tubes came in handy, since a step-up output transformer was not needed. Directly drive the diaphragms and get if over with.

What could go wrong with an antique technology supplying hundreds of volts directly to something located less than an inch from your brain? :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What could go wrong with an antique technology supplying hundreds of volts directly to something located less than an inch from your brain? :)
Think of it as money saved on electro shock therapy. :p

Robin L

Master Contributor
You mean those migraines I had for about 20 years?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Find one person who was bothered by it.

egellings

Major Contributor
The current is limited to a couple of milliamps. You'd really have to do something stupid to get electrocuted in them. They're all plastic, and currents are tiny. I'm not worried about using my pair. It's see-through sound! And, I'm into voltage; MORE VOLTAGE! MORE VOLTAGE! I like my 'lectric!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But yeah I enjoy tubes, they're fun to work with. Also when they fail it's usually way less catastrophic than when a transistor does... If you've ever seen what happens when a power transistor fails, it's not pretty. Often takes a good deal of stuff connected to it down with it.
I've replaced many thousands of output transistors and FETs in amps that where designed to not cascade. Yes, there are some amps that cascade fry but most of them just pop outputs and that's where is stops.

egellings

Major Contributor
As for tubes, if you don't like them or think they're silly, then just pass them by. You are not obligated to use them. If you like tubes and all their little quirks, then enjoy. From a technical standpoint, S.S. stuff outperforms tubes in every way for driving speakers, due to low output impedance and high current capabilities, just what you need for speakers. However, tubes offer a visual aesthetic toobers find attractive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was in the navy I came across some nixie tube equipment. I had never seen such a thing before and thought it was incredibly charming. Now you can get a nixie tube wrist watch! I think it should come with a backpack for batteries.
I collected a working and even calibrated Hewlett Packard nixie tube rack mount micro volt meter and used it for years at my workbench. People loved it. It was beautiful.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not into tube gear for listening but I've collected it in the past as novelty items and hoping their value would appreciate which it did. I prefer large solid state power amps that make lotsa heat just like tube gear. :D

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"It is harder for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle, than for an objectivist to like tubes." - Jesus

Robin L

Master Contributor
"It is harder for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle, than for an objectivist to like tubes." - Jesus
"Doowhatchalike" - Eris

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering about the above ? Or get annoyed by the distortions?

I've blathered about my enjoying tube amps numerous times. But since you asked...

I use tube amps and love 'em. And I do fall in to the category of perceiving them as adding, to me, a pleasing warmth/tone/texture to the sound that I find, in some ways, to sound "more natural" to my ears, than the solid state amps I've tried.

Is it real? Imagination? A mix of the two? I'm not in a position to demonstrate the answer. But the impression is so strong and pleasurable, I'm happy to just go with it. And I've owned the things for 20 years.

Some people (me included) also enjoy the concept of tube amps, the fact you can "see" the music signal being amplified in the glow of the tubes.
There's just something neat and conceptually satisfying about it, as well as aesthetically compelling.

Speaking of which, after all these years I finally re-arranged my CJ tube and power amps, and took off their tube cages so the bare tubes are shown. I think they look just gorgeous, especially when they are on, with the sparkling, glowing glass tubes. Just really satisfying. I don't get that from the average black or silver box Solid State amp. (In the same way I don't get the same pleasure from a pedestrian looking DAC or CD player, like I do from my cool lookin' turntable. I like the aesthetic part of audio too.

And, my god, do I ever think my system is sounding great too (especially after re-tubing...I had some old tired tubes to replace).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But aren't they digital?
I don't see how it could not be driven by a octal based circuit. Nixie tube gear is a bit before my time for the driver circuit knowledge. Even though I have owned nixie tube gear.

Chazz6

I don't see how it could not be driven by a octal based circuit. Nixie tube gear is a bit before my time for the driver circuit knowledge. Even though I have owned nixie tube gear.

I tried to make a whimsical remark -- and failed. I must be a subjectivist.

Top Bottom