• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I benefit of a preamp instead of only dac

TjindarSingh

Do I benefit purchase a preamp when my dac with volume control can drive the power amp directly?

Please explain

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you're hearing hiss coming out of the speaker, buying a preamp while you already have a way to control the volume of your system conveniently is not really a smart decision (financially).

and even if you hear hiss, buying a preamp may not necessarily fix it. but it will likely help if the DAC is the source of the noise.

levimax

Major Contributor
Pre-amps can have a lot of benefits depending on your needs and your system:

1. Tone controls, balance control
2. Switch between multiple sources such as streamer, CD, computer, TT, BT, TV, etc.
3. Added gain which may be required because of "room / speaker DSP EQ".

OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

Unless you're hearing hiss coming out of the speaker, buying a preamp while you already have a way to control the volume of your system conveniently is not really a smart decision (financially).

and even if you hear hiss, buying a preamp may not necessarily fix it. but it will likely help if the DAC is the source of the noise.
Okay if no noise there is no sonically benefits of have a preamp in between?

JeffGB

I find many digital volume controls to be irritating. I like a volume control that has only one turn and doesn't have the possible full volume reset (you only have to experience this with a powerful amplifier once). I had it happen with a Crown XLS 1500 amp hooked up to JBL A130's. Luckily the input was talking and not music but it still left my ears ringing for hours. If there had been a bass line, the JBL's would have been destroyed.

OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

Many members here do it for safety. Unnoticed reset of the DAC volume to 0db for some reason -> bye bye tweeters
Never happened to me maybe it's easy for it to occur on some dacs.

So only benefit is security then

OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

I find many digital volume controls to be irritating. I like a volume control that has only one turn and doesn't have the possible full volume reset (you only have to experience this with a powerful amplifier once). I had it happen with a Crown XLS 1500 amp hooked up to JBL A130's. Luckily the input was talking and not music but it still left my ears ringing for hours. If there had been a bass line, the JBL's would have been destroyed.
Sounds Scary, never happened to me luckily.

Trell

Major Contributor
Never happened to me maybe it's easy for it to occur on some dacs.

So only benefit is security then

Sometimes a DAC output can overdrive the amp so that you can only use a small portion of the DACs volume control (gain level mismatch). A preamp can help here.

You can passive attenuators for both safety and for gain level mismatch. Some of the attenuators have selectable levels.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay if no noise there is no sonically benefits of have a preamp in between?
Unless you need to process analogue (phono) stay away from preamps.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the "DAC" has a competent analog output stage and well implemented volume control, hey, it's safe as a preamp replacement *provided* that DAC has the inputs you need. Something like the Benchmark DAC HGC gives you all the flexibility you need when it comes to inputs (I have one, but have never used the analog inputs, but it's good they are there just in case - oh an no phono inputs, just RCA).

It's also a matter of preference - some like to stack boxes, some prefer a minimalist approach. I have to admit my Benchmark DAC2 HGC is stacked away, and I prefer a single integrated amp with digital inputs (I only need 2 - Toslink and Coax).

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you need to process analogue (phono) stay away from preamps.
Good point. I don't, but from reading around here it is pretty clear that many amps that integrate phono do a sub-optimal job at that because it's just a feature check mark for some buyers. I will never buy an amp with a phono input again, because I'll never use it... plus it adds unnecessary cost in my case.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there's some people who think a preamp can add 'character' especially a tube stage preamp.

i kinda am personally of the thought that a lot of dacs seem to not take their vol. ctrl. seriously especially those where it isnt an actual potentiometer dial...

a good example of a family of analog preamps that have been reviewed here is the Schitt Freya and Freya S... ask yourself is that kind of thing useful to you?

also I think its an area the chinese havent really attacked? ie. analog or digital preamps???

preamps shouldnt be an expensive thing IMO but they generally are

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there's some people who think a preamp can add 'character' especially a tube stage preamp.

i kinda am personally of the thought that a lot of dacs seem to not take their vol. ctrl. seriously especially those where it isnt an actual potentiometer dial...

a good example of a family of analog preamps that have been reviewed here is the Schitt Freya and Freya S... ask yourself is that kind of thing useful to you?

also I think its an area the chinese havent really attacked? ie. analog or digital preamps???

preamps shouldnt be an expensive thing IMO but they generally are
My requirements for a DAC+ Preamp these days would be:
* Great DAC but doesn't have to be the latest and greatest in SINAD wars
* 2 x coax digital, 2 x Toslink
* 2 sub outputs, configurable from 40-200Hz
* Room correction
* Balanced + RCA out
* Good remote
* Good headphone amp

Otherwise I'll stay with current setup.

OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

So it seems that a preamp is not necessary and will just be one more thing in the way if the dac has a good volume "digital?" Control.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I am not sure if this maybe a consideration or a real factor or effect of a pre amp. However ever since I started to use mine with my stereo power amp I noticed the unit runs far cooler than before.

This clearly won’t be a considerable factor when using a headphone amp.

The only other thing would be, and this subjective, is to add musicality or analytical sound into a chain. For instance, my dac is “musical” and my amp predominately operates in class A and this combo does sound a bit too rich/smooth. The addition of a preamp to my system has made a balance *Purely subjective and subject to placebo and bias.

But this goes two ways, it can easily damage your chain and create confusion.

I will add that I do feel something is happening, as for when I first added my preamp to my system is was over the top bright and forward. After about 48 hours of play time the sound did recess. Another touchy topic

Top Bottom