• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY - Size Matters...

Berlin

This guy claims that his homemade speakers sound better than any speakers he has ever heard. Unfortunately the video is in German...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker.

Beranek's Law

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My German is nicht, but... One of the benefits of DIY is that you can get silly with enclosure size and shape because you don't have to ship it anywhere, and packaging / warehousing / shipping represent a massive amount of consumer product cost. Think of it as a larger bookshelf speaker pair with 4 18" (I think sealed, but again, nein sprechen) subs and it's not that unusually sized or excessive compared to a lot of AV buff setups. There are, of course, a lot of practical advantages to building that in 6 separate boxes, but if you're going to DIY, those are choices you get to make.

That being said, I would be very surprised if the handoff between the AMT tweeter and a 10" midbass went gracefully.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My German is nicht, but... One of the benefits of DIY is that you can get silly with enclosure size and shape because you don't have to ship it anywhere, and packaging / warehousing / shipping represent a massive amount of consumer product cost. Think of it as a larger bookshelf speaker pair with 4 18" (I think sealed, but again, nein sprechen) subs and it's not that unusually sized or excessive compared to a lot of AV buff setups. There are, of course, a lot of practical advantages to building that in 6 separate boxes, but if you're going to DIY, those are choices you get to make.

That being said, I would be very surprised if the handoff between the AMT tweeter and a 10" midbass went gracefully.
Well, yeah. And he must have an enormous room to sit far enough away that the drivers integrate properly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy was known in the past in the biggest German audio forum with a high need of self-portrayal while presenting foreign constructions as his own ones as well as other attributes which didn't shed as a positive light as he wished.
I would take the claims of such people with the utmost caution.

Top Bottom