• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Passive Speaker Kit for First Timer (Near-Field on Desk)

JohnnyN

Hi all,

Does anyone have a DIY passive speaker kit recommendation for a first timer? This would be for use near-field on a desk. In my office at work, so something that sounds good at low volumes. I listen to a wide variety of music and listen to a lot of hip-hop, so a speaker with little bass output would not be ideal for me (I don’t plan on using a subwoofer). It’s a very large desk, so I do have the flexibility to go with something on the larger side for a desktop. A kit with the cabinet pieces included is preferred, since this is my first time assembling a speaker. Trying to keep it under $300 for the kit.

Thanks in advance!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even fairly large bookshelf speakers like the Dayton BR-1 or Hitmaker MT only get down to about 50Hz. I would recommend one of those kits, and somehow find space for a small sub to reach 30Hz.

Here is what my BR-1 achieved on a desk with an 8" ported sub. 1/6 octave smoothing, EQ was used, but only cuts, no boosting.

Attachments

• br1 desktop frequency.jpg
    br1 desktop frequency.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

xarkkon

Colonel7

Hi all,

Does anyone have a DIY passive speaker kit recommendation for a first timer? This would be for use near-field on a desk. In my office at work, so something that sounds good at low volumes. I listen to a wide variety of music and listen to a lot of hip-hop, so a speaker with little bass output would not be ideal for me (I don’t plan on using a subwoofer). It’s a very large desk, so I do have the flexibility to go with something on the larger side for a desktop. A kit with the cabinet pieces included is preferred, since this is my first time assembling a speaker. Trying to keep it under $300 for the kit.

Thanks in advance!
When you say "little bass" are you thinking something that's just better than very small speakers with 3 or 4" woofers, or do you want the desk speakers to hit the lowest frequencies in all hip-hop? If it's the 2nd you'll need a subwoofer no matter what. If you're good with having bass that covers a lot of music then the C-notes that have 5" woofers are a good choice (I use them for near-field and really like them for the cost), or a size up is the Dayton BR-1 mentioned above where the poster got nice results with a little EQ. Keep in mind that the BR-1s take up a lot of desk real estate, even with a big desk. I have another set of similar sized speakers and found them just too big for my desk. A thought about the BR-1 is to check out Philarmonic Audio and see if Dennis has any Affordable Accuracy modded BR-1 kits left. He's a really talented crossover and speaker designer. $350 without shipping. His description says the mod will hit 34Hz which is a lot of extension for that 6.5" woofer. He likes wide dispersion so a consideration is that they can be moved elsewhere for mid or far-field listening if the desktop situation isn't permanent.

AudioSQ

I built the C-Notes with my son for his room and they are very solid for $100, but in my opinion they aren't great.. at that price I wouldn't expect them to be. Probably fine for light background music.

I'm a huge CSS-Audio fan. Their crossovers are super easy to put together for a first timer, and they sound fantastic, but they don't have anything close to $300. I think with flat packs their cheapest option would be almost double that. I run the Critons 2TD-X with the xover upgrade.. Yummy.

I've thought about trying the HiVi Swans, you can actually find them on Amazon. There's a 2 way and 3 way option, both $300 or less, but I've never heard them.

ctakim

Forum Donor
I built the C-Notes with my son for his room and they are very solid for $100, but in my opinion they aren't great.. at that price I wouldn't expect them to be. Probably fine for light background music.

I'm a huge CSS-Audio fan. Their crossovers are super easy to put together for a first timer, and they sound fantastic, but they don't have anything close to $300. I think with flat packs their cheapest option would be almost double that. I run the Critons 2TD-X with the xover upgrade.. Yummy.

I've thought about trying the HiVi Swans, you can actually find them on Amazon. There's a 2 way and 3 way option, both $300 or less, but I've never heard them.
True about CSS, their lowest priced full kit for the P215 is currently $469. But these are high quality components and it is pretty easy for the first timer, as I can attest!

obkook

Aren't the Criton 1-TD a lot bigger than the C-notes? I was looking into them as a main system DIY build and from my perception (only. never seen them live) I can't imagine them sitting on a desk.

I also (perception) put them in a class way beyond the C-Notes.

OP
J

JohnnyN

Yeah, I’m realizing that low volume is probably the key detail here, since it’s for an office and I’ll almost always be listening at very low volumes. I think you’re right—at the volumes I’ll be listening at, I’ll likely be missing out on some refinement/detail no matter the speaker I choose. So I may go with the C-Notes, and then put some money toward a proper headphone set-up.

Colonel7, thanks for the Affordable Accuracy+ rec—wasn’t aware of this + version. Seems like a great value, given those tweeters and the ease of assembly.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Even fairly large bookshelf speakers like the Dayton BR-1 or Hitmaker MT only get down to about 50Hz. I would recommend one of those kits, and somehow find space for a small sub to reach 30Hz.

Here is what my BR-1 achieved on a desk with an 8" ported sub. 1/6 octave smoothing, EQ was used, but only cuts, no boosting.

I'm surprised the BR-1's aren't digging below 50 Hz. Counting my original mod of this kit and the subsequent version with the Morel tweeter, I've probably tested 200 pairs, and they all produced audible, though not flat, response at 34 Hz. I always included a demo CD with a 34 Hz track to illustrate it. I didn't change the woofer, the cabinet, or the tuning--just the crossover and later the tweeter. The BR-1 produces the deepest bass of any kit, or finished speaker for that matter, for less than $500/pair. I've always found them very enjoyable without a sub.

alex-z

I'm surprised the BR-1's aren't digging below 50 Hz. Counting my original mod of this kit and the subsequent version with the Morel tweeter, I've probably tested 200 pairs, and they all produced audible, though not flat, response at 34 Hz. I always included a demo CD with a 34 Hz track to illustrate it. I didn't change the woofer, the cabinet, or the tuning--just the crossover and later the tweeter. The BR-1 produces the deepest bass of any kit, or finished speaker for that matter, for less than $500/pair. I've always found them very enjoyable without a sub.

I didn't mean to disparage the BR-1's, I bought my pair used with damaged crossovers as my first DIY project and after repairs was super satisfied with them.

Original owner probably altered the ports and I didn't notice because of room mode effects. Thanks to your info I might rebuild the cabinets.

liquidman101

Bit late to this party - I just discovered CSS on the web - but I am in Australia and not sure if they ship here. I discovered them after becoming interested in DIY speakers after watching a guy from GR Research take apart a pair of $3000 speakers and show how poor quality were the components of the speakers.

My fear is that I would wreck a kit speaker in trying to put it together or that I would do it wrong and it wouldn't sound right. Is not possible to find off the shelf speakers that are actually made with quality components in the first place?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are up to finishing the cabinet, the Parts Express Samba seems a great value. Have not built, but have used the woofers and they are a step up from the BR-1 counterpart. :cool:

Last edited:

AudioSQ

Flat packs go together pretty easy and are hard to mess up enough that you couldn't fix it with a little sanding. You could screw up the crossover but CSS's crossover board breaks it down nicely for you and a lot of other places like diysoundgroup will put the crossover together for you for a fee. Obviously you lose value with the added cost of international shipping.

liquidman101

Flat packs go together pretty easy and are hard to mess up enough that you couldn't fix it with a little sanding. You could screw up the crossover but CSS's crossover board breaks it down nicely for you and a lot of other places like diysoundgroup will put the crossover together for you for a fee. Obviously you lose value with the added cost of international shipping.
Thanks for that advice - yes the shipping costs might mean I have to look locally for a a speaker kit but then again - the cost of some high-end bookshelf speakers may mean that it is still cost effective to get them shipped over here to Oz.

pokerbarlo

Planning on buying those but waiting for someone here to review them.

Are you running subs with your Criton 2TDXs? If so which and how many? Dedicated room or Home theater and how large is the room? What does your whole setup consist of including amps?

Maybe you can send them to @amirm or @hardisj for proper testing and reviews. I already messaged them on their facebook page about how a review and testing here might help their business.

pokerbarlo

Bit late to this party - I just discovered CSS on the web - but I am in Australia and not sure if they ship here. I discovered them after becoming interested in DIY speakers after watching a guy from GR Research take apart a pair of $3000 speakers and show how poor quality were the components of the speakers.

My fear is that I would wreck a kit speaker in trying to put it together or that I would do it wrong and it wouldn't sound right. Is not possible to find off the shelf speakers that are actually made with quality components in the first place?

If you want a quality off the shelf speaker with good components that will compete with CSS you need to get a Revel ($1500 for the M106) or Genelec. You just need to find an online shipping service wherein you can ship the kit there then they can forward it to you in Australia for a lower cost.

AudioSQ

Planning on buying those but waiting for someone here to review them.

Are you running subs with your Criton 2TDXs? If so which and how many? Dedicated room or Home theater and how large is the room? What does your whole setup consist of including amps?

Maybe you can send them to @amirm or @hardisj for proper testing and reviews. I already messaged them on their facebook page about how a review and testing here might help their business.

Yes, I have 10 subs, 1 Dayton RS 18" and 9 JBL 12s.. I don't remember the model number. They were really cheap. That said I think I would enjoy them fine without subs for music if I didn't have room issues. Below 100hz looks like a roller coaster in my room on their own.

The room is 15'3" x 14'7" with 9' foot ceilings around the edges and 10' in the middle. It is not a dedicated space. It's a game room so it's not in the main living area, but it's not kept dark, has windows and is also where the family computer resides. Decor before function.. although I've slowly been chipping away at that.

The rest of the system.. center channel is a 2TD, not the X and just the regular crossover, Volt 6's for surrounds, a pi, a Denon 1400 AVR, and 6 acoustic panels along the back wall. That's it. I want to get a Hypex amp for the mains, but then I'd need a new AVR with outs for the mains. With both it would be a couple grand and I'm not so sure it would sound 2 grand better.

I've had too much bad luck with shipping companies to trust them with sending these out for testing. Plus if I told my wife I was sending my expensive speakers to a guy I don't know from the internet for testing..

alex-z

Yes, I have 10 subs, 1 Dayton RS 18" and 9 JBL 12s.. I don't remember the model number. They were really cheap. That said I think I would enjoy them fine without subs for music if I didn't have room issues. Below 100hz looks like a roller coaster in my room on their own.

With 10 subs you should have virtually no room mode issues if they are properly distributed. Even 4 subs is enough for near perfect response if your listening area is only 2-3 seats. Do you have them properly gain and delay matched?

Top Bottom