• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Displayport> HDMI to AVR?

wickflair

I am able to get decent computers from work. The only issue is the desktops have Displayport only. Id like to use one as client for music and plex, but not sure if it work work correctly.

Has anyone had luck using a DP to HDMI cable from computer to AVR and then HDMI from AVR to projector? I would like to be able to achieve 4K and HD audio.

buz

Forum Donor
Have used Macbook Air - cheap minidisplayport - HDMI - AVR - TV (only 1080p and 2.0 though)

Offler

I would ask what video card your PC does have. Most I have seen in last years do have at least one DP and at least HDMI.

On windows, the driver and hardware seems to work just fine, however I connect it to a display which has low-quality DAC.

I have been looking for a device with support for HDMI ARC, however those were usually more expensive. So instead I use onboard ALC1220 and Toslink.

OP
W

wickflair

I would ask what video card your PC does have. Most I have seen in last years do have at least one DP and at least HDMI.

On windows, the driver and hardware seems to work just fine, however I connect it to a display which has low-quality DAC.

I have been looking for a device with support for HDMI ARC, however those were usually more expensive. So instead I use onboard ALC1220 and Toslink.
These are enterprise grade HP elite desks with integrated graphics. I'd be using my media server to do all the decoding.

Offler

These are enterprise grade HP elite desks with integrated graphics. I'd be using my media server to do all the decoding.
Just looking at those, in terms of sound quite limited client PCs...

The good news:

Up to 32 audio channels, 24bits, 1536Khz depending on version. So the output from the Displayport is decent.

The bad news:
DP to HDMI cables are usually only up to 4k 30Hz for image. 60Hz would be more convenient.

Most soundbars, AVRs with HDMI Arc i have seen usually support HDMI in and HDMI out while sound gets extracted and is "rendered" to speakers, but they do not support display port at all, nor to convert DP to HDMI on the way.

If TV or display allow sound to be extracted from Display Port well... the sound quality is very bad, at least on devices i have seen so far.

USB 3.0 on them might be more viable solution.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i tried HP's own 4k60 DP-HDMI adapter and it didn't work, it only went up to 4k30, that's where i abandoned the idea and went for an Intel NUC with HDMI 2.0 and now an Asus PN51

OP
W

wickflair

i tried HP's own 4k60 DP-HDMI adapter and it didn't work, it only went up to 4k30, that's where i abandoned the idea and went for an Intel NUC with HDMI 2.0 and now an Asus PN51
Thank you. Guess I'll use the desktop for home automation and either wait until we have laptops or get a shield pro.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have the Club 3D CAC-1080 adapter (The Cadillac of DP to HDMI adapters). 4k 60hz video only, I had no problems but Pumping 4k 60hz and audio through that same adapter, was terrible. I ending up using a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter for audio and use the expensive adapter for video only. I would've used the HDMI 2.0 on my videocard but a walmart active cable zapped it :(.

I've had experience with cheap DP to HDMI adapters, most of them only do 1080p 60hz. Audio what audio? ;)

Top Bottom