• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac & Roon?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here using Dirac with Roon? Any issues?

Background:
I've been using REW and plugging in the filters manually into Roon, but from what I am reading, Dirac is more idiot-proof and that is exactly what I need :) But I need it to work with Roon.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use them together. There is no real integration between the two. Dirac wraps around your existing DAC and exposes itself as another sound device. As long as you select it, then it will perform its correction.

Dirac is a lot easier to use than creating your own filters.

andronidas

Dear Guys,

Im more or less completely new to DSP. I have ordered the UMIK-1 and will receive that within the next 2 weeks. I just want to uderstand what will be the most easy way to implement room correction into my system.

Setup:
NAS: QNAP TS-451+
Amp/Streamer: Naim Uniti Nova
Play music over Roon from my Laptop.

Now i want to implement Room Correction Properly via Dirac or REW.

What will be the simplest way, having the best effects and is there any idiot proof guide to that?

Kind regards
Andy

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dirac by far. It is full automated and you will have the correction in less than 15 minutes. Using REW requires tons of learning. Even though I know how to do that with REW I am using Dirac myself per above.

If you want to go with REW I have written a couple of tutorials on how to use it but the third part which talks about how to actually use it is yet to be written. :)

Reactions: pjn
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For my secondary living room system, I used REW to do the most basic thing - correct frequencies below 200 Hz using Roon and left it at that. This is mostly for background music so this is all the time I really care to spend tweaking it.

For my main system, I started with REW, but then I have a multi-channel system with a complex crossover setup so I got the miniDsp 8 channel box with Dirac. Took measurements at 9 points like it asked me to and then I just let Dirac do everything with default settings (correction range, target curve etc.) and its almost as if my room has disappeared. No amount of money thrown on audio gear would have done what this does. Dirac is exactly what I was looking for - I will do the physical work of placing the mic where it wants and click a button; let it do the rest.

andronidas

Thanks for the feedback.

As i understood, DIRAC does not create filters which can be importet into Roon (like REW) is that right?

So considering my above system, do i need to by any hardware to properly implement DIRAC Corrections or is there any way to import this into ROON?
Is there any Guide on implementing DIRAC Room Corrections Properly?

Sorry for all that questions but if there is an answer already just let me know..

What i might forgot to mention is that i run roon core on the NAS and i use the Lapotp Roon only as remote..

Kind regards
Andy

Last edited:
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac is a closed system so you can't import into Roon. Their standalone PC version (currently in alpha. They have discontinued their old version) only needs your PC and as Amir said above, Roon will see it as an output device.

If you look at the user manual for any of the Dirac enabled miniDsp devices, they have a section on Dirac that should give you a decent idea o dhow it works.

andronidas

OK, means it just doesnt work in my curren setup.. (only if i play from laptop directly, Which i cannot do)

Thanks for help

JR4321

does anyone know how to use Dirac with Roon? does it work? Does it work if I upgrade to the Dirac 2.X version? I currently use Dirac 1.X, but was interested in the 2.X as I believe it adds a test for both speakers simultaneously, thus potentially eliminating some phase issues. I might be completely wrong about all of that. What I'm trying to figure out is: does Roon work with Dirac? Does it only work with Dirac 1.X? How about 2.X? Thank you

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

JR4321

Thank you. Great review, BTW.

Another Dirac question for you. Is a player needed to use Dirac 2.X with a Mac Mini? I currently use the original 1.X version and was looking to upgrade to their 2.X, but it seems I won't be able to go direct from Tidal to Dirac with 2.X. Do you know if that's true? Thank you.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @Flak

Regarding your guide with Roon here:

http://diracdocs.com/Roon_&_Dirac_Live_2.0.pdf

How does this work with different music sample rates? Does it support automatic sample rate changing?

Does Audio Hijack automatically change sample rates when Roon music changes from 44.1kHz to 96kHz for example?

Not really a specific question about Roon - same question would apply for Audirvana and Qobuz and Tidal Desktop.

Thanks

starless

Hi @Flak

Regarding your guide with Roon here:

http://diracdocs.com/Roon_&_Dirac_Live_2.0.pdf

How does this work with different music sample rates? Does it support automatic sample rate changing?

Does Audio Hijack automatically change sample rates when Roon music changes from 44.1kHz to 96kHz for example?

Not really a specific question about Roon - same question would apply for Audirvana and Qobuz and Tidal Desktop.

Thanks

I'd be tempted to use Roon to convert everything to the sample rate which the Dirac processor uses - that way the Dirac processor has less work to do (doesn't matter much on a PC or Mac implementation but makes a difference if using miniDSP products). I believe that the Dirac processor runs at 192KHz on PC / Mac and at 96 KHz on miniDSP SHD.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'd be tempted to use Roon to convert everything to the sample rate which the Dirac processor uses - that way the Dirac processor has less work to do (doesn't matter much on a PC or Mac implementation but makes a difference if using miniDSP products). I believe that the Dirac processor runs at 192KHz on PC / Mac and at 96 KHz on miniDSP SHD.

Aside from more 'work' (I'm only referring to Mac and PC) I wonder if it's better for Dirac to upsample 44.kHz content to 192k using it's own Dirac algorithms ?

Instead of Roon's algorithm's?

makes a difference if using miniDSP products

I agree with this

starless

Aside from more 'work' (I'm only referring to Mac and PC) I wonder if it's better for Dirac to upsample 44.kHz content to 192k using it's own Dirac algorithms ?

Instead of Roon's algorithm's?

I agree with this

You could well be right about PC / Mac implementation - probably quite difficult to know whether there are any difference between Roon's upsampling that done by Dirac. I think that Roon takes account of intersample overs but don't know if Dirac does that. Roon also shows if an clipping is occurring when resampling (unlikely but possible) and I don't think that's shown by Dirac.

On SHD - which I use - it makes a difference because the SHD resamples everything to 96KHz before passing to the Dirac processor stage.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think that Roon takes account of intersample overs but don't know if Dirac does that. Roon also shows if an clipping is occurring when resampling (unlikely but possible) and I don't think that's shown by Dirac.

Hopefully @Flak can confirm.

Perhaps there is no upsampling by Dirac at all - it just convolves at the sample rate of Audio Jack? even though it can support up to 192k?

Let's see what he says

starless

Hopefully @Flak can confirm.

Perhaps there is no upsampling by Dirac at all - it just convolves at the sample rate of Audio Jack? even though it can support up to 192k?

Let's see what he says

Dirac FAQ says this ....

4.1. What sample rates does DAP support?

The DAP supports any sample rates up to 192 kHz which have been designed into the Dirac Live® filters. The sample rates designed into the Dirac Live® filters are selected by the user from the rates supported by the sound device used in the DLCT. However, to fully support a certain sample rate, then each of the blocks in the process line below have to support that rate. Note that the operating system can be configured to a different sample rate than the media player, making the operating system re-sample the data to its configured sample rate. This re-sampling can be detrimental to the audio quality! Try setting the operating system to use the original source sampling rate. User control over sampling rate is not possible in Windows XP.

Top Bottom