• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Audyssey Multeq VS Multeq XT Vs Multeq XT32

Flageborg

It was probably just dynamic volume, but I enjoyed it when I used XT because the bass did seem fuller.
Analyzing your experience tells me you did listen to a system which was basically very "bad" soundwise and XT32 did to much removal of bass in the measuring position or the person did not realize he has a big dip in the measuring area. It's not a miracle cure with room correction system, but every manual preparation of room and speaker/sub placement is crucial to get the best results. XT32 is superior to XT in every way...

C-H

I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR626 for $50 at Goodwill and spent another $60 for a proper remote and the Audyssey microphone. This is a 2013'ish model and have the 'basic' MultEQ system.

I hooked it up to my 2ch system and old JBL TLX-8 speakers and did the 6 position measurement. My room is probably an audio nightmare with stuff just about everywhere.

The result:
I'm blown away! There must have been some bad room resonances added to the 'party' frequency response of the speakers but it's now a pleasant listening experience. I have a hard time with audiophile terms but every aspect of the sound is better. The sound is clear and sound stage is much improved. For $110 this was a massive improvement.

Putter

Forum Donor
I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR626 for $50 at Goodwill and spent another $60 for a proper remote and the Audyssey microphone. This is a 2013'ish model and have the 'basic' MultEQ system.

I hooked it up to my 2ch system and old JBL TLX-8 speakers and did the 6 position measurement. My room is probably an audio nightmare with stuff just about everywhere.

The result:
I'm blown away! There must have been some bad room resonances added to the 'party' frequency response of the speakers but it's now a pleasant listening experience. I have a hard time with audiophile terms but every aspect of the sound is better. The sound is clear and sound stage is much improved. For $110 this was a massive improvement.
Not to put too much of a damper on a GW bargain, but the 626 is from the era of Onkyo's with HDMI board problems. A cooling fan such as is sold for laptops which can often be found at thrifts or just purchasing new would be a good precaution and a good thing for most AV receivers.

C-H

Not to put too much of a damper on a GW bargain, but the 626 is from the era of Onkyo's with HDMI board problems. A cooling fan such as is sold for laptops which can often be found at thrifts or just purchasing new would be a good precaution and a good thing for most AV receivers.
Thank you! I will look into that. It runs warm for sure and I've seen the fan mod being mentioned online.

morello159

My humble 5.1 home theater set up is run by an X1300w with MultEQ. The sound is... alright, though it's hard for me to place blame on the eq or the Sony SSCS5 series speakers I'm using (sort of muddy, narrow sound stage, etc.). I do have a umik-1 and REW from my car audio days- in the opinion of the experts here, would it be worth buying the Denon app in an attempt to do a better job hitting a target curve than MultEQ does on its own?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My humble 5.1 home theater set up is run by an X1300w with MultEQ. The sound is... alright, though it's hard for me to place blame on the eq or the Sony SSCS5 series speakers I'm using (sort of muddy, narrow sound stage, etc.). I do have a umik-1 and REW from my car audio days- in the opinion of the experts here, would it be worth buying the Denon app in an attempt to do a better job hitting a target curve than MultEQ does on its own?
Personally I'd try the app, with those speakers not sure how much that would help, but I'd try for $20.

Chrisfi

Personally I'd try the app, with those speakers not sure how much that would help, but I'd try for $20.

Can you use that app for any Denon AVR? I have the Costco S760H model on the way in the mail.

Upgrada

The s760h is compatible with the App. So, is xt 32 not necessary to look at, when you buy an avr?

GalZohar

The s760h is compatible with the App. So, is xt 32 not necessary to look at, when you buy an avr?

While the app can help preventing XT from messing up the high frequencies, it does very little to compensate for what XT lacks compared to XT32. So XT32 is necessary regardless for EQ that actually does something meaningful.

Upgrada

While the app can help preventing XT from messing up the high frequencies, it does very little to compensate for what XT lacks compared to XT32. So XT32 is necessary regardless for EQ that actually does something meaningful.
Thx a lot

audiomonkey

Wanted to share calibration results between a Denon 720w (MultEQ) and Denon 4400x (xt32) as an fyi. Quite apparent how much better the xt32 is at the lower end.
IMG_0428.PNG

IMG_0429.PNG

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wanted to share calibration results between a Denon 720w (MultEQ) and Denon 4400x (xt32) as an fyi. Quite apparent how much better the xt32 is at the lower end.
You might want to delete that Mid-Range-Correction dip that Audyssey is adding. If you're using MultiEQ-X, you can just delete the MRC PEQ curve. You can also fix it using the mobile app IIRC by adjusting the target curve. I also recommend adding a low shelf filter to boost up your low-end. I have a +6db shelf on mine and it's a significant improvement. I don't know why Audyssey persists in cutting bass and adding MRC dips, but if you remove those, it will definitely improve overall sound.

GalZohar

The "after" results the app shows for the XT32 are fake (I'm starting to believe it's just a bug in the app). There seems to always be arguments about that but in reality if you check the "after" prediction of the MultEQ-X for the same device, you will see a more realistic result. Or just measure the result. In any case, you will still get much much better with XT32 than MultEQ, just not as good as the graph might make you believe.

Ata

Forum Donor
Correct, I do not trust the prediction of the app -- measurements show completely different things in my case, MultEQ XT. The bass in the average room cannot be tamed so perfectly with DRC alone.

audiomonkey

You might want to delete that Mid-Range-Correction dip that Audyssey is adding. If you're using MultiEQ-X, you can just delete the MRC PEQ curve. You can also fix it using the mobile app IIRC by adjusting the target curve. I also recommend adding a low shelf filter to boost up your low-end. I have a +6db shelf on mine and it's a significant improvement. I don't know why Audyssey persists in cutting bass and adding MRC dips, but if you remove those, it will definitely improve overall sound.
Fantastic, thanks for the tips. Got it sorted with the iPad app but is MultiEQ-X really $199 a receiver?

GalZohar

Fantastic, thanks for the tips. Got it sorted with the iPad app but is MultiEQ-X really $199 a receiver?
For simple target curve adjustment the 20$ app gets the job done, although with a ****** interface. But yes it's 200$ for the MultEQ-X PC software, which is a bit sad as it's really just a better interface to features that already exist (including interface to some features you cannot otherwise access), but I guess they have a hard time covering development costs otherwise, as Denon probably didn't pay for it. I really think Denon should have, though, considering how many people say Audyssey is crap because of the results they get without the app, when it's really not missing much to get similar capabilities to some of the much more expensive room correction systems.

Audyssey flattens bass by default, which apparently is something that is often undesirable, although how non-flat you want it depends on your room and maybe even personal preference, and that's before taking loudness compensation into account (if you don't use Dynamic EQ when testing and listening).

audiomonkey

For simple target curve adjustment the 20$ app gets the job done, although with a ****** interface. But yes it's 200$ for the MultEQ-X PC software, which is a bit sad as it's really just a better interface to features that already exist (including interface to some features you cannot otherwise access), but I guess they have a hard time covering development costs otherwise, as Denon probably didn't pay for it. I really think Denon should have, though, considering how many people say Audyssey is crap because of the results they get without the app, when it's really not missing much to get similar capabilities to some of the much more expensive room correction systems.

Audyssey flattens bass by default, which apparently is something that is often undesirable, although how non-flat you want it depends on your room and maybe even personal preference, and that's before taking loudness compensation into account (if you don't use Dynamic EQ when testing and listening).
That makes sense. Bit tough to swallow since i'm on a temp receiver until I can get my long term one. Would be nice to use MultEQ in the interim.

Top Bottom