• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Audyssey Multeq VS Multeq XT Vs Multeq XT32

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this is the eq applied to the subwoofer, multeq XT of my denon avp A1 HD, the blue without audyssey, the red with audyssey on. It seems to me that it does a good job on the low frequencies, eliminating that huge spike or am I wrong?

I mean, maybe? I also see a new dip at 100hz. But I dunno where the crossover is supposed to be. And I don't really get this idea of trying to measure only the subwoofer, you want to see the whole response up to like 500hz to decide if there's been an overall improvement or not. If you use the app to restrict XT from touching the higher frequencies, I would expect the overall result to be some improvement at least.

GalZohar

I understand, so in addition to not acting on the bass it also leads to a distortion of the sound on the high frequencies due to the excessive eq applied?
Thanks for all the information
Seems like the EQ above a certain frequency is arguable anyway, but from comparisons I've seen it seems like with XT there are even more reasons to disable it... High frequency corrections in XT seem all over the place to the point where I highly doubt it does anything useful there. But even with XT32 I'm not sure you should be using them, and if you disable it with both then the differences don't matter.

this is the eq applied to the subwoofer, multeq XT of my denon avp A1 HD, the blue without audyssey, the red with audyssey on. It seems to me that it does a good job on the low frequencies, eliminating that huge spike or am I wrong?
I've had a similar experience with XT. While for speakers it hardly does anything useful (except overall level fixing, ex if speakers are too close to wall it will reduce the overall bass), for subwoofers I'm not sure exactly how good it is, but it does do some none-useless EQ.

Jbrunwa

For multiple subs, I think all of the versions are deficient when it comes to multiple subs. IMO the best solution a single sub out from the AVR into miniDSP 2x4HD to gain match, time align and EQ the combined sub response, then any version of Audyssey.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For multiple subs, I think all of the versions are deficient when it comes to multiple subs. IMO the best solution a single sub out from the AVR into miniDSP 2x4HD to gain match, time align and EQ the combined sub response, then any version of Audyssey.

Any proof, graphs?

Jbrunwa

Any proof, graphs?
It’s been a while, I don’t have the before miniDSP Audyssey by itself graph any more. But I can tell you that both Dirac and Audyssey with multiple sub outs were sub optimal in my room with pretty broad dip and using a single sub out to miniDSP I was able to raise the volume on the sub amps and optimize the combined subs and smooth the 50-70 Hz region that made a big difference, using delay and cut-only no gain BEQ across the multiple subs. So Audyssey saw a good sub response And mainly adjusted the distance to time align the combined sub and set the relative level. Maybe I could have tried to manually adjust the individual sub curves and gains in Audyssey but it was straightforward with REW and miniDSP.

EDIT: I have a new Rythmik FV-18 PC ordered so I will go through all this again soon and will see if results are any different. There is a very good guide at https://www.avsforum.com/threads/guide-to-subwoofer-calibration-and-bass-preferences.2958528/ that contains a lot of helpful info and techniques that I didnt know then.

Last edited:

Flageborg

Are the three a lot different?(perceptible difference)
Description says they differ by their filter resolution but I want to know whether it actually means something.
XT is very good and XT32 is superior - both recommended :cool:

GalZohar

XT is very good and XT32 is superior - both recommended :cool:

Mostly as have been shown in previos posts the subwoofer correction is not so capable dealing with narrow peaks but does work, and for speakers bass frequencies won't get any peaks handled, just overall level, and high frequencies will be over-corrected. How much that matters depends on your original response, if it is pretty flat there will be less benefit for XT32, but for most people this isn't the case.

GalZohar

Please explain in what way over-corrected frequencies occurs?

Low Q (narrow) filters that try to fix very local effects and/or measurement errors rather than real acoustic issues. XT32 tries to do more of a general tone control with wider filters, which may also be good or bad depending on the room and how the measurement was done, but at least it works for some. The XT way is, as far as I know, always a bad idea. Personally I got slightly better sound limiting the correction frequency to 700Hz. But as XT doesn't do much at the bass frequencies that means it almost doesn't apply any correction to my speakers. At least it does some correction to my subwoofer, although I have some peaks it is unable to handle that supposedly XT32 might be able to deal with.

GalZohar

Do you have REW measurement chart of your XT calibration?

Not sure exactly where I saved everything, and I don't think I saved a measurement with my latest calibration with full-range correction enabled, but I could re-measure and send you the results if you really want. They don't show any new surprises though not already shown on these forums before.

See post #4 here for comparison of the corrections being applied.

Flageborg

I could re-measure and send you the results if you really want. They don't show any new surprises though not already shown on these forums before.
See post #4 here for comparison of the corrections being applied.
Thank you. Please post your results from Frontspeakers + Subs here. Post #4 looks like center channel pre-out results?
I am more into measurements of Frontspeakers both with and without Subs and results with Microphone in sweetspot connected to REW to reveal what/if Calibration actually have done what it is supposed to do...when I am playing my Stereo Music in 2+1 configuration...

Last edited:

GalZohar

Post #4 is the Audyssey on minus off so that it basically displays the correction applied, so you can see with XT almost nothing in the bass and very narrow corrections on the high frequencies.

For integration of fronts with sub I had to significantly change the Audyssey set distance to significantly improve the right speaker results without hurting the left speaker much.

Flageborg

Post #4 is the Audyssey on minus off so that it basically displays the correction applied, so you can see with XT almost nothing in the bass and very narrow corrections on the high frequencies.

For integration of fronts with sub I had to significantly change the Audyssey set distance to significantly improve the right speaker results without hurting the left speaker much.
Post #4 states Centre channel pre-outs. How is it significant to Stereo listening?
Do you have REW charts with different distance settings for your right speaker?
How much was your speaker distance off your correct location?

Trell

Major Contributor
Do you have REW measurement chart of your XT calibration?

I’ve seen measurements of what XT does where the measurements where taken on the preouts. Not much done in the bass while fine grained corrections on higher frequencies. This in contrast to XT32.

Better to step up to an AVR with XT32 than anything lower.

Trell

Major Contributor
This chart is not measured at main listening position in a Stereo setup...

It shows what corrections are applied and that XT does almost nothing where it is needed the most: the bass.

What other conclusion do you think you can draw from a REW measurement at MLP?

Top Bottom