• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

eriksson

Forum Donor
Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones.
Partly because of Amirs review but others as well since Amir didn't test the noise cancelling function in any details. Use them working around loud machinery. Highly recommended.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First Revel Salon2 and then Dutch 8c's ... both pale in comparison to my bose 901'so_O

Blaspheme

I bought an exaSound multi-channel DAC after reading Amir's "boomer fights with software" (one of a series) and "Amir fights with everyone" special crossover episode on one of its brethren. For me the login wasn't an issue and the proprietary driver that ruled it out for Amir does have the benefit of seamless volume control from Mac, remote or DAC, no juggling. George is also very quick and helpful with responses to questions.

It did measure very well despite the quibbles. And I dithered too long and missed out on both Kal's second-hand example and the cheaper Okto equivalent which you can't order right now (I do use both USB and optical inputs which helps ameliorate any anxiety about that price difference). But I also bought it because Kal said the sound was good. I wouldn't buy anything pricey that merely measured well.

For my next likely purchase I'm not sure whether to go Purifi when I add amp channels, or scour the second-hand offerings for more Krell (winter heating and arc welding on the side are both plus and a minus for the latter). Among the Eigentakt amps, March went up in my estimation after fighting with Amir here. I like people with spirit.

For speakers, unfortunately neither Amir nor Erin do many examples that interest me (generally the interesting ones are too large and/or too pricey) so their reviews not as much help. Some exceptions like D&D. I need to listen to speakers in any case. Not a short-term need, so not a big issue.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've purchased speakers after seeing Amir's reviews. More often I've not purchased electronics after seeing how substandard they perform.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Topping: D10, D3XPro, E30
DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X

Not based immediately on a review, but once someone reported that they had the Moto M4 working with Ubuntu on an RPi4, I pulled the trigger on that one.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
I used to have the entry-level Arcam a19 amp, with an Arcam rPac DAC and Qacoustics 3020 speakers. Decided to upgrade my speakers when I got a great deal on a pair PMC Twenty5 21’s, and thought that would be it for a few years.

A couple of weeks after buying the PMCs I came across this site…..

Now it’s a Soncoz SGD1 DAC to an Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR and a pair of Revel Concerta 2 M16s.

astcal

Forum Donor
Yes.

not only myself, I've been recommending all my relatives and friends to do the same :D

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL-SU9 and it's been working great and the built quality is good.

Karu

Forum Donor
Yes. Always scared to open this website.

Exactly Bought a pair of M106s to replace my LS50s, that I ended giving to my parents as I decided to go active instead. The whole replacement (SHD Studio, the Ones, E30 for subs) was based on Amir’s reviews.

Marmus

Past year has been all headphone stuff from info (and a Grado lead to the mod people). Bought Topping A50s, D50s, Schiit Loki+, and to hear it all HD6xx and Elex. Then I built a Symphones V9 set after buying a Grado 80 just to check out the sound for myself. Most jazz, blues, some old rock. And love all this stuff. Not as good as a well set up room/speakers but is so nicely focused, and was VERY EASY to accomplish vs my room. Elex the best mostly but having lots of fun LOTS with this setup. BTW was a die hard analog fan but still looking forward to getting my VPI running through this stack.

Many many thanks to Amir and the mostly sane discussions here.

reverbel

Forum Donor
Yes, so far I bought the following items:
- Ayima A07 amp;
- Loxjie D30 DAC and headphone amp;
- Loxjie A30 desktop amp;
- JBL Stage A130 speakers;
- Sony MDR-ZX110 headphones.

TimF

Forum Donor
More important, I didn't buy. I have been cured. The cure has taken. I cannot even look at an audio magazine and I get nauseous. Reading this website for some time the cure hit me. It is as if I underwent the famed Ludovico Technique--the aversion program.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes: E1DA 9036D DAC/headphone amp, and a bunch of JBL 305P MKIIs, both great purchases. I also tried to buy some dirt cheap Panasonic IEMs (earbuds) but I’m pretty sure I ended up with fakes that now live in my car’s glove box for backups.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Yes. RME ADI-2, Allo Boss 2, Purify-based amp, Ayima A07 based on Amir's reviews. But also other equipment based on the very helpful comments from the ASR community, e.g., RPI4 streamer and reasonably priced cables. Thank you Amir for this site!

pacman

Topping DX3 Pro and DX7 Pro.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yep. Topping D10 & E30 dacs and Elac DBR62 speakers. Extremely happy with all of them. Not sure I'd say I bought them on the basis of his "reviews" per se though. They were bought because they measured well primarily.

Top Bottom