• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, and forgot the 9038D too.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They come with a story. Bought them about 25 years ago. From a very strange and eccentric artist. He lived in a shack, surrounded by all this old marble and cement castings that were relics of ancient torn down buildings. It was strewn everywhere. Stacks 4 feet high that made winding rows you had to walk through to find something you liked. It was all filthy and decrepit. Laying for years in the weather.....Then he'd cast it for you in cement or plaster. I think I paid 30 bucks each for them. We also bought a cement cast of David's Nose.... Really!

That is a really intersting story. I like the stands too.

THW

Forum Donor
Yes.

L30, DX3 Pro V1, NX4 DSD, also soon-to-be-arriving MOTU M4.

very happy with the first 3 and I expect to be satisfied with the M4.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yes
Schiit Modius
Ifi idsd Signature - successor to Black Label version reviewed

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes … Schiit Modi 3 and Topping D70s. I had my NAD C272 restored by the same outfit that restored the reviewed NAD 2200. I avoided the Bryston BDA-2 due to review measurements relative to value.

I was perturbed when his measurements and review did not fully validate my prior decision to buy a pair of KEF L50’s that I love. :p

Last edited:

oversky

Yes (Sony MDR-ZX110 to learn what a good sound is) and No (JBL 104-BT).
I will try Panasonic RP-TCM125 next.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After reading Amir review I bought a Yamaha WXA50.

tomlang

Yes: Khadas Tone Board. Found a used unit here with enclosure for a good price just as I was ready to click submit elsewhere.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - mostly. Based on his review of the Purifi Eval power amp modules, I bought a Purifi-based Audiophonics amp. I say "mostly" only because it was the review plus a lot of reading of the ensuing thread (to learn more about Class D, Purifi in particular, input buffers and gain settings, and so on).

TimoJ

Yes and no. Bought Purifi Eval1 module (and later Eval2) because of good ASR measurements. Then again, I bought Monoprice HTP-1 that got headless panther.

Foulchet

As an engineer I am prone to be reasonnable and I like to read the tests and the principle to mix a reasonnable approach but I will not buy based on a recommandation (especially from the ranking, the overall quality class however is relevant to me) since I accept the subjective part of the sound and pleasure from the setup aesthetics, etc. Plus not all products are tested, especially if you remove the ones that are not available in Europe. However tests are a good catalog and if I wanted to buy a product which had a huge issue, I might avoid buying it depending on the price and a mix of subjective appeal.
Now, I almost purchased a Topping DAC or Amplifier but Cayin was much more appealing, whether it measures worse or not.
Finally I do not buy that much audio gear and most are considered endgame (I will not but multiple dacs, amplifiers, etc. unless I really, really need a feature. I buy once and forget).
So bottom line : no.

Last edited:

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Yes and no!

• AKG 371 - didn't like the sound (it felt "rounded around the edges" if that makes sense) and returned
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS - absolutely love this piece
  • Monoprice THX AAA 887 - I probably don't need all this power but the balanced connectors look cool
  • Hidizs S9, quickly replaced by Qudelic 5K because of built-in EQ
  • Focal Celestee - love them with EQ despite the review
  • Focal Utopia - because I really wanted to stop buying headphones

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Four times: Khadas Tone Board, THX 789, Octo Dac 8 Pro, and Purifi Eval 1.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an engineer I am prone to be reasonnable and I like to read the tests and the principle to mix a reasonnable approach but I will not buy based on a recommandation (especially from the ranking, the overall quality class however is relevant to me) since I accept the subjective part of the sound and pleasure from the setup aesthetics, etc. Plus not all products are tested, especially if you remove the ones that are not available in Europe. However tests are a good catalog and if I wanted to buy a product which had a huge issue, I might avoid buying it depending on the price and a mix of subjective appeal.
Now, I almost purchased a Topping DAC or Amplifier but Cayin was much more appealing, whether it measures worse or not.
Finally I do not buy that much audio gear and most are considered endgame (I will not but multiple dacs, amplifiers, etc. unless I really, really need a feature. I buy once and forget).
So bottom line : no.
I wouldn’t buy a product based only on a favorable review with good measurements, but I surely wouldn’t buy a product with poor measurements.

Foulchet

In my case I quite like euphonic distortion and prefer to have very neutral headphones and a small coloration in the amp (not too much) and in my experience even distorted products may have a noticeable difference but not huge enough to make the sound sound not neutral. That is true for headphones but for loudspeakers deviations are more easily spotted and here measurements are more critical for me (for instance I preffered the sound from my Denon amp compared to Marantz and measurements confirmed that, unfortunately I saw it too late but that is not an issue because there is no Denon as slim as NR1200 with the same features).
That is why I read headphone gear measurements or dac measurements (gear which are not likely to sound that different from each other) with curiosity but without really taking it into account (unless an overpriced gear measures really bad) but I take loudspeakers-based hifi measurements seriously (at least no because I bought them before reading this website :s).

Top Bottom