• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devices that will accept a cast from Tidal.

BillG

Major Contributor
That looks pretty nice. BTW, how do you get your network traffic up in the taskbar like that?

That's part of the skin Huawei uses on Android. I've seen other manufacturers do something similar on theirs, but it'll vary as to how one enables it - it's probably somewhere in the settings, though... :cool:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are just doing cd quality..

What is "CD quality"? I assume you are talking about bits per sample and sample rate - those are not measures of quality as such.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

doctorjuggles

Over my cold, dead body.

-Apple hater since 2001

I can’t stand Apple either, but Airplay is bundled into many other brand offerings and is pretty decent. I use a Roon where I can and have several devices which have Chromecast built into them too, but of the many reasons I dislike Apple, Airplay isn’t one of them (not worth specifically buying an Apple product for, but as it’s built into so many things, I’m just saying it’s worth considering)

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
it’s built into so many things

Unless it's built into my Google phone or Microsoft desktop OS, I don't see how it could be of any use.

I get conniptions when I see "Apple white". I sneeze when someone pulls out their iPhone. I get hives around Macbooks.

doctorjuggles

Haha. Nah, I mean it’s built into several amps and AV receivers, for example. I don’t know your current setup or your hit list of future possibilities, just wanted to point out that it’s common tech in several brands and you may not even know it. The only Apple product I own is an iPad, but I have 4 audio devices currently able to receive an Airplay stream, none of which I bought because of this feature.
However, if you’re just looking for a cheap, easy way to add Tidal functionality to, say, a 20 year old integrated amp, then a Chromecast Audio is the way to go. However, they are no longer sold so you’ll need to find a second hand one

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
it’s built into several amps and AV receivers,

I'm generally against bundling and I have no use for any more than stereo. Bundling gives you a deal on the combination of components, but if you don't need those components then it's not really a deal, is it? So I'm probably going to DIY a 2ch NC400 and use the miniDSP SHD as my DAC/DSP. I'd rather keep them separate, but the premium for that would be the entire price of the SHD.

I just want to cast, man. Just that sweet, sweet click of one button to get the player to download the music itself.

Google still sells them brand new:
Bill, you cruel, cruel man.

doctorjuggles

Ah cool. Not available in the UK, but I’m sure one of the other stores will have some old stock available. Depends where the OP is :)

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Bachemar

Forum Donor
If you are just doing cd quality..
Minidsp SHD via airplay
Sonos

If you have a Sonos Connect or other device, you can use the native Tidal app and “cast” to the Sonos device. It uses a Sonos or Tidal protocol and not Google/Chromecast etc. it works very well except for the odd glitch when the app forgets you are casting and will play a song on the device itself. Simply recast to the Sonos again to sync them up.
The quality of the stream is Flac/16bit or CD quality

I’m guessing MiniDSP SHD via airplay could work, but is there another way to effectively cast to it considering Volumio has the Tidal plugin on the server?

I’ve always found airplay to not be ideal as it goes through the phone, and tends to make the phone sluggish and glitchy and also chews up battery.

lxlx

Forum Donor
I’m guessing MiniDSP SHD via airplay could work, but is there another way to effectively cast to it considering Volumio has the Tidal plugin on the server?

I’ve always found airplay to not be ideal as it goes through the phone, and tends to make the phone sluggish and glitchy and also chews up battery.

I read that SHD is a Roon endpoint now. And Roon supports TIDAL right?

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Yamaha's MusicCast ecosystem uses a similar approach as Play-Fi, albeit with a nicer looking control application:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yamaha.av.musiccastcontroller

And here's their streaming preamp - they've an amplifier in the series as well that's been measured here on ASR:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html

Hello,

I've been looking at some of Yamaha's MusicCast streaming components, such as the R-N803 stereo receiver. I was surprised to see from this "Streaming Services" page that the R-N803 and quite a few other MusicCast products do NOT support Qobuz/Amazon Music--but some do.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/audio_visual/musiccast/streaming_services.html

I have Tidal for now, but who knows whether it's here to stay; and I may want to try Qobuz some day. Why would some streaming services be excluded from models using the same MusicCast ecosystem? If I buy the R-N803, would there be some workaround that allows me to stream Qobuz/Amazon Music (short of buying a separate streamer)? Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
Why would some streaming services be excluded from models using the same MusicCast ecosystem?
The ones marked with Qobuz (and Amazon Music) also shows up as supporting AirPlay 2 so likely a new version of software or MusicCast protocol, or both.

If I buy the R-N803, would there be some workaround that allows me to stream Qobuz/Amazon Music (short of buying a separate streamer)?
Your best bet would be to reach out to Yamaha and see if they have plans to add support to the R-N803 before committing and buying. Failing that, just buy another device from their given list that supports it (or says is supported).

toroop

Yamaha's MusicCast ecosystem uses a similar approach as Play-Fi, albeit with a nicer looking control application:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yamaha.av.musiccastcontroller

And here's their streaming preamp - they've an amplifier in the series as well that's been measured here on ASR:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html

Hi I have a Yamaha WXC-50 and I'm subscribed to both Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi trials. I wanted to check whether Tidal Hi-Fi tier is that much better sounding that Spotify. With my setup, the answer is: it depends on the recording quality.

However the WXC-50 works so well with Spotify Connect that I think I will end up keeping Spotify.
I was hoping Tidal Cast would work, but with Tidal I've been forced to use Yamaha's MusicCast App which is horrible.

In the Tidal App, if I click Devices the WXC-50 does not appear. Is there any way to cast to the WXC-50 from Tidal's own App?

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I was hoping Tidal Cast would work, but with Tidal I've been forced to use Yamaha's MusicCast App which is horrible.

In the Tidal App, if I click Devices the WXC-50 does not appear. Is there any way to cast to the WXC-50 from Tidal's own App?

Hi toroop,

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you should be able to cast from the Tidal app to the WXC-50 via AirPlay. I don't have the WXC-50 but I have the Yamaha R-N803, and Tidal works well this way. I haven't tried the MusicCast app yet.

toroop

Hi toroop,
f you have an iPhone or iPad, you should be able to cast from the Tidal app to the WXC-50 via AirPlay. I don't have the WXC-50 but I have the Yamaha R-N803, and Tidal works well this way. I haven't tried the MusicCast app yet.

Hi thanks for the reply! I'm not an Apple enthusiast, also I was hoping in a native solution a-la Spotify Connect.
I think it's just laziness on Yamaha's part as they did not implement the Tidal's streaming protocol. Unfortunately their App is so bad that is a liability for such a good piece of hardware.

Top Bottom