• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What's with these random arguments? Silence me? What the heck???

Company has immediately responded to my communication twice -- something the owners said they would never do. I am waiting now to see if their management decided to do something. So your theory of anyone and their uncle getting their attention is wrong. This site has about on million page views a month. It is not some random side on the Internet. Here is how we compare with stereophile:

View attachment 57378

We are the graph in blue that is growing. Orange is stereophile which is not. On average someone spends 7 minutes here versus 2 minutes on stereophile. They have been around many more years than we have. So to be where we are shows that people are coming here and are highly interested in what we have to say.

Companies can ignore us and that would be fine. We have many to choose from. But don't for a moment compare us to some random guy on the web.
Pay rise.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang Class D gets me again. Not used to thinking in class D terms yet. I suppose in addition to all this this it has a PWM power supply for fast switching protection too.
Remember class D is not digital, it's an analogue amp class.
In this product it's not because it's a class A / class D hybrid that makes it digital, it's the architecture of the whole product that makes it digital before the amp, if they used a pure class A amp after the DAC it would be similar.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember class D is not digital, it's an analogue amp class.
In this product it's not because it's a class A / class D hybrid that makes it digital, it's the architecture of the whole product that makes it digital before the amp, if they used a pure class A amp after the DAC it would be similar.
Gotcha on the system wide digital protections. I figured from your commentary that you meant the class D amps can be better-faster controlled before a major issue arises. Can they comparatively?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha on the system wide digital protections. I figured from your commentary that you meant the class D amps can be better-faster controlled before a major issue arises. Can they comparatively?
No idea on the class D thing, or how the ADH might offer advantages, it's their architecture that offers faster protection, because it can protect before amplifying whilst it's still in the digital domain.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On topic but off topic. I remember the very first integrated amp that I bought new. A Technics SU-V303. The protection circuitry was so good i used it for ~10 years before I turned it into a bench test amp. I would short out the speakers leads and show off the protection circuitry. It finally died a silent death about 15 years later. It was a great amp for it's life time and cost.
57-1.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps @March Audio could chime in on the potential speed of the protection circuitry in class D amplifiers? Is it comparatively faster than a class A/B protection circuitry? What are the advantages? Get a expert here on the matter.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Perhaps @March Audio could chime in on the potential speed of the protection circuitry in class D amplifiers? Is it comparatively faster than a class A/B protection circuitry? What are the advantages? Get a expert here on the matter.
Well the protection is pretty comprehensive on the Hypex modules, and yes its quick.

Havent got musch time so I will chop a bit out of the NC1200 manual.

7.1 Firmware operation
The microprocessor has three main functions: to provide an interface for controlling the amplifier, to
monitor the supply voltages in order to prevent spurious operation during power up/down and to
detect error conditions. Most errors clear automatically as soon as the error condition lifts. The
exception is a fatal DC fault, this almost certainly stems from a broken power FET. The FATAL signal
should not be cleared externally. Instead the +/-HV supplies must be shut down immediately to
prevent or mitigate damage to attached loudspeakers.

The FATAL error is also sent to the PSU to shut it down. The PSU also has over current and error sensing

1586169213416.png

1586169274434.png

1586169425385.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the protection is pretty comprehensive on the Hypex modules, and yes its quick.

Havent got musch time so I will chop a bit out of the NC1200 manual.

7.1 Firmware operation
The microprocessor has three main functions: to provide an interface for controlling the amplifier, to
monitor the supply voltages in order to prevent spurious operation during power up/down and to
detect error conditions. Most errors clear automatically as soon as the error condition lifts. The
exception is a fatal DC fault, this almost certainly stems from a broken power FET. The FATAL signal
should not be cleared externally. Instead the +/-HV supplies must be shut down immediately to
prevent or mitigate damage to attached loudspeakers.

View attachment 57399

View attachment 57400

View attachment 57401
That's pretty comprehensive protection circuitry. The +/- 101V over voltage and 85-95 Celsius protection limits combined with the 34-38-40 Amp current limit is pretty rigorous.

One can only guess that this is not full of small gauge digital transistors and tiny fused resisters and the speed of cutting off the switched mode PWM power supply current after the 0.5 second DC sensed mode is much faster than a linear power supply draining into a class AB or ADH circuit that has a fault/short. I thought the DC sense mode would be smaller than 0.5 seconds but if this is it then that's what is required from the designer(s).

The Devialet circuitry parameters would be interesting to see.

Tks

Major Contributor
That's not quite what I said. I said Devialet might have given you guidance on testing so as to avoid blowing up their amp. Had they, their help wouldn't be needed now.

Beyond that, I don't think that the many posts on ASR tarring Devialet and banging on about other grievances people have will help solve this problem. The common assumption of these posts is that the onus is on Devialet to do more and move faster. I tried before to explain why that expectation might be unrealistic as the Pandemic peaks in Paris. Let's set that aside. What's really missing is any coherent rationale for expecting Devialet to make this a priority. All I've seen so far are variants on We good; Devialet bad. But this specific problem is simply not Devialet's fault. It doesn't matter whether they're a lame company. It doesn't matter whether their protection software is balky or too sensitive. All of this may be true, but it is not relevant in this case. Pointing that out is not doing PR for them. It is stating a simple fact.

Just quickly since I've been following this, and have largely sided with your line of replies and want to quickly address two portions. The first thing about Devialet giving guidance on testing. No one needs guidance on testing, as these tests have rarely caused any issues on all other amps. Also this isn't some vintage product that would be lacking protection circuits or something (and the stupidity of doing such today on a device that is essentially 5-figures is lunacy). There is no reason why this thing should croak and die. We don't want to do tests "they recommend", these are tests conducted that aren't torture tests trying to gauge points of total failure.

So unless I am misunderstanding the argumentation, I don't know why anyone would, ever... AT ALL, consult a manufacturer, ESPECIALLY of this caliber, on if their amp would survive tests all other amps have up until now (unless I am missing some from before I joined or something). Especially if they had the balls to post proper specs that would allow us to see if there were any red flags in testing for whatever reason.

The second is, it should be a priority for them to address this problem even if it was Corona, and Bubonic plague making a return at the same time. That doesn't mean they have to fix the device and address all the specific issues with the unit and apply fixes for all amps going forward. No, what is expected is confirmation they are willing to do so, in light of the pathetic failure the amp itself is. It doesn't matter if this gets done in three days, or three weeks (everyone understand the pragmatic issue with logistics currently, and people/customers are willing to grant leniency, as they should). It's a whole other thing to turn around and say nothing, or "we'll get to it whenever Corona is done, and then we'll see if we want to address this at a later time".

The only 'onus' on them to move faster, is their own PR. If they want to be thrown into the pile of pseudo luxury brands (brands that don't fulfill half of what I understand luxury to be, and that is customer support/satisfaction in spite of mainstream economic realities for other companies that MUST skimp on this in order to be economically viable, but companies like Devialet are charging enough to where they are expected to take this loss, and go against the grain and offer better customer support than the mainstream company that simply can't afford it due to competition). So if they want to fulfill the stereotype that has more times than not rung true for these "higher-end" companies.. They can go down the line of your rationale of not having to do anything perhaps in some case even. If they want to gamble, and give detractors ammo for besmirching them further than their own products already have.. Well then they are just run by morons plainly put in my book.

And finally, just do the calculous. How difficult would it be to do what companies from the East (like Topping and SMSL have done a few times) and with barely functional language offer to fix entire SKU's of products anytime there was a problem.. No one here is asking much, certainly not from Devialet who's owner's head is so far up his ass, you would think the man is sailing on blissful oceans of cash. All that would need to be done is start hasty communication channels, bite the bullet on fixing this unit (while still leaving room to be cowards and not revealing the actual extent of what known issue allows for malfunctioning like this unit underwent), and all would be well. You placate the masses of on-lookers, while fixing a problem that is otherwise going to cause lots more damage than a simple unit fix..

So aside from those two aspects of your post, I'm with you on everything else.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He shorted out the speaker sockets whilst running to show how fast the protection worked.
In my (admittedly limited) experience of attempting to test stuff to destruction, an absolute short circuit is a lot easier to manage than a long-term marginal position.

Shall I? Shan't I? Shall I? Shan't I? Shall I? Shall I? Shan't I? Shall I? Shan't I? <PUFF> Oh dear.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think "someone" should invest in a pair of the old (late-70s/early-80s) Polk Audio "Cobra Cables" (also sold as "SoundCables" -- and maybe originally the product of another company before Polk acquired the product?). They were fairly reactive cables and, at the time, were notorious for toasting marginally stable amplifiers.

1586190926411.png

1586190988946.png
\

[100]: Polk Cobra Cable loudspeaker cable
Stereophile review: 1978 (Vol.4 No.3). Highly capacitive, this distinctive-looking Japanese-sourced cable blew up many amplifiers that weren't unconditionally stable. Nevertheless, it blazed a trail followed first by Bob Fulton, then by Monster, then by countless others.
source: https://www.stereophile.com/features/709/index.html

Last edited:

RigorDude

What's with these random arguments? Silence me? What the heck???
Okay, I'm gonna bend on my intention not to post anything further on this thread. I will not present any new arguments/points. But I will clarify/explain/retract previous posts, for example if someone asks me a direct question, and I will ask an occasional question about someone else's post.

If I may, I'd like to start by clarifying a general point that relates to Amir's exasperated questions in the post to which I'm replying. I often say "you" as shorthand for ASR more broadly -- for example, opinions that I've seen expressed by many people on ASR. I think this kind of shorthand is pretty common in conversational discourse such as internet posts. It may not be as precise as a phrase like "many ASR posters," but it’s also less clunky.

Thus, I wrote this: "You think Devialet is trying to silence you." That sentence uses shorthand to say "Many ASR members think Devialet is trying to silence the views widely held by ASR members." That's a god-awfully wordy way to get across what I assumed was a fairly innocuous point about ASR members' very frequently expressed view of themselves as feisty "outsiders" challenging sloppy subjectivism. I'm leaving aside the other innocuous point, which is about the widespread perception that subjectivists like Devialet hope no one in their market demo will hear ASR's voice.

But when Amir read this, he thought I was ascribing to him, personally, the belief that Devialet wants to silence him, personally. I'm not sure how this could even be possible -- a hit man perhaps? A reading this tortured would get a freshman English paper marked down a grade.

On the occasions when I did intend to refer to a specific person, I tried to be reasonably careful to show that I was doing this, by using a proper name or an identifying phrase. Again, this usage is standard in natural English and quite common in internet exchanges. I would like to think it's possible to make such distinctions without resorting to legalese like "Party A."

I hope this is helpful.

Top Bottom