• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those small midranges are not very low distortion, otherwise looks pretty good. Price seems competitive. As to be expected, SPL below 100 Hz is severely limited.
Where do you see the distortion chart?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do you see the distortion chart?
Here:
SQT-MLT-580x432.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask you to send me the URL of the page you see the above chart. The link on the chart above does not have any distortion chart. In fact it shows just the FR chart, nothing else.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get why one would want such beaming speaker. It's very much a 'head in a vise' design.

kyle_neuron

I don't get why one would want such beaming speaker. It's very much a 'head in a vise' design.
With consistent directivity down to below 500 Hz, in both axes, the speaker will have a consistent power response - as seen in the Spinorama data. That means an even excitation of a room, which can produce even tonal response across a large space when used with careful placement, and a listening position suitably into the far-field.

If you draw out a 60-degree cone, you’ll see it ends up being quite wide a few metres back. Certainly enough to cover an entire couch.

It’s especially appealing if you can’t (or don’t want to) treat the listening space. Perhaps a room with an amazing sea view via floor-to-ceiling windows, or one side which is open plan.

Combine that with the ability to place such a compact cabinet close to the outer walls, without illuminating them heavily, and you can use the cross-fire technique where a listener moves into the louder axial response of the farther speaker as they move away from side to side. That is a really good way to provide a consistent stereo effect and ‘phantom centre’ image across a wide area.

The speaker is actually quite impressive, at a reasonable price point to boot. The distortion-limited output of the compression driver is far above that of the soft-dome compared here at the upper end of the response, the wavelet shows very controlled resonance decay, and it’s linear phase - all without using any FIR processing filters.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't miss them, I read it all, very carefully. But there are absolutely no information on who is in the B&W team!? I will ask the same question as you:

Indeed, who the hell is in the B&W team and why they are hiding them?
That is a rhetorical question, I do know some of the team members there (not personally). But how the average Joe will get information about the B&W team, solely on "all legal" B&W website information? Or does it matter anything, at all?

And no, I don't have any agenda, I merely don't like double standards.
Not declaring who works for you is not hiding. Besides, why would “average Joe” needs to know the name of the engineers?

What double standard you are on about?

Vladimir Filevski

I was quoting your questions about the Reflector Audio company

Why are they hiding the team behind the products.

Consumer does not search for reviews to find out who is behind a company.
and making comparison with the equivalent/identical question about UK company B&W.
You were bothered by the lack of those information from Reflector Audio company, but not bothered by the same lack of information from B&W - that is double standard.
Nothing to fight about it, anyway.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quoting your questions about the Reflector Audio company

and making comparison with the equivalent/identical question about UK company B&W.
You were bothered by the lack of those information from Reflector Audio company, but not bothered by the same lack of information from B&W - that is double standard.
Nothing to fight about it, anyway.
I must apologise for my wording. I must have said “why are they hiding their manufacturing and development facility?” The only address is an office building above some shops on high street.

Vladimir Filevski

OK. Square Two monitor is an interesting product, and the time will answer all other bits.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Review just came out online.

3,900 euros strikes me as very, very fair! Consider me very intrigued.

Hrodulf

I know the guys behind the design team. Reflector audio USA and Reflector Audio ltd. has the same people behind the company, don't really know why they decided to separate the businesses. The former is their more pro brand whilst the latter is more for home.

As someone noted - Hypex FA boards only support IIR filtering and that's what's used. The time response is the result of physical design and all-pass filtering, the total system latency is what the stock Hypex board has.

Hrodulf

I'm using a similar construction speaker (HF1440+18sound horn + slot loaded 15MU woofers) at home and find that the narrow dispersion helps greatly in my untreated room. There is no pronounced sweetspot, yet the narrow radiation angle means I'm not bothering my neighbors too much (not with mids at least). Previously had Genelec 8050A and Neumann KH310. Brought the Neumann to an AB test with the Reflector speaker and sold it in about a week.
118125707_3494975827221860_1830553137667785435_n.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a current user of BACCH, these do seem very well suited. The review also looks very positive. Has anyone in the United States acquired a pair?

Seems so, i was quoted a USD price and i see American users featured on their Instagram. Has increased due to parts getting more expensive but even then, just a touch above 4k. Was about to get them but derailed by an upcoming move so I had to hold off

Top Bottom