• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

kyle_neuron

Same conclusions. They aren’t shy about giving credit. The amplifier is a customised Ncore, because I don’t think the normal modules support FIR?

Either way, it just goes to show how much value is in the simulation, verifications, manufacturing to fine tolerances and good app / software integration. Components do not maketh the man, at least when considering a holistic ‘off the shelf’ system.

Doesn’t mean I’m not inspired to have a go at the concept; as someone with an abundance of certain 2” and 3” drivers, there’s only so long I can avoid doing something useful with them :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly an engineered product, unlike those odd speakers on legs, which are at best art pieces.

I do worry though that hiss will be a problem for close field (on desk) monitoring. You really don't want to be facing a 109dB/W/m efficiency horn so near to you. That is on average 20dB more efficient then a standard drive unit, 100 times more efficient! (20log) Their spec says it s 27dBA at 10cm on the web and 7dBA on the PDF. I assume the latter is a typo as human body alone generates 15dB more noise! Anyway, 27dBA is whispering level, not exactly satisfying.

Interesting company. They have two websites, one in USA the other in Latvia. They don't carry the same products. Why? Latvian website disses enclosures, US site talks about blocking the port as an option. I cannot see any ethos, which is always question mark for a product designer.

Neither website has an About Us page. They are a European Union Country but there is no website owner information nor a Privacy Policy page. These are required by law in EU. Why are they hiding the team behind the products.

I hope someone sends a unit to @amirm.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the manufacturers site
http://www.reflector.audio/contacts.html
there is a "Contact us" button, which says:

SIA "Reflector Audio Design"
Jomas street 46 - 1, Jurmala, LV-2015

Names of the designer team are not a law requirement, AFAIK.
That is contact information, not the factory location nor the owner information neither the data processor. You may be living in the US, where federal laws requiring declaration of business details doesn't exist. I earn my living for the last two decades as running a web agency, in the UK. Look at my profile. If I say they are breaking the law, they are.

There are two issues, which you are confusing. One is what I personally feel as a consumer; who are they, what is their story, etc. The other is legal. They are a EU country and their Latvian website must obey the GDPR law at minimum. Otherwise they are breaking the law, which is a finable offense.

And, we don't even know if the American and Latvian companies are related!

The Street View of the address is below.

Screenshot 2021-12-17 004446.png

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I admit - I know next to nothing about websites legal issues and requirements. But I was intrigued by your questions:
Why are they hiding the team behind the products.
Consumer does not search for reviews to find out who is behind a company.
Let see what we can find on the Bowers&Wilkins website https://www.bowerswilkins.com/net about their team and who is behind the company... But, except the story about the late founder John Bowers - nothing!
Yes, I know UK is not EU member any more, but as I recall, there weren't any more information about B&W team (on their website) before Brexit, either.

I don't see any problem which eventual customers might have with the new company Reflector Audio USA - they have website, facebook, Instagram, official distributors in Germany and Benelux, they exhibited their products on NAMM show 2020 and AES New York Section 2020...

And, we don't even know if the American and Latvian companies are related!
Yes, they are related - there is a link "Home Audio" in the top right corner on the https://www.reflectoraudiousa.com/ website which redirects to Latvian website http://www.reflector.audio/

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let see what we can find on the Bowers&Wilkins website https://www.bowerswilkins.com/net about their team and who is behind the company... But, except the story about the late founder John Bowers - nothing!
Right at the bottom, here are the links on the footer. How on earth you missed them??? Or, do you happen to have an agenda and objecting my facts for a reason?

1639749772790.png

www.bowerswilkins.com is a site operated by B&W Group Ltd (we, our, or us). We are a limited company and are registered in England and Wales under company number 00880499. Our registered office at Dale Road, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 2BH. Our VAT number is GB 945 7829 70.

If you have any questions regarding this Privacy policy, believe we have breached a privacy law or wish to exercise your rights (see “What are Your Rights?”), please contact our data protection officer as follows:
* By email: [email protected]; or
* By postal mail: Data Protection Officer, B & W Group Limited, Dale Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2BH, United Kingdom.

and more below...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like quite a solid performance. Obviously, those mid basses are not horn loaded like with a Synergy horn, but this is still a very compact way to generate an almost point-source. Looking at the response graphs, those cavities seem to be not much of an issue, and the radiating area is still quite big (probably 30~40% SD).

Seems to use Faital HF1440 and 18 Sound 5W430. Should go loud enough for such a small box.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Right at the bottom, here are the links on the footer. How on earth you missed them??? Or, do you happen to have an agenda and objecting my facts for a reason?
I didn't miss them, I read it all, very carefully. But there are absolutely no information on who is in the B&W team!? I will ask the same question as you:
Why are they hiding the team behind the products.
Indeed, who the hell is in the B&W team and why they are hiding them?
That is a rhetorical question, I do know some of the team members there (not personally). But how the average Joe will get information about the B&W team, solely on "all legal" B&W website information? Or does it matter anything, at all?

And no, I don't have any agenda, I merely don't like double standards.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Full review free view added (in German language, best use Google or deepL to translate)
For 3900€ pair price imho a very strong choice in that price class and to be considered for example when looking for Genelec 8341 or Neumann KH310 as it plays significantly louder and has higher directivity which can be advantageous at typical living room listening distances.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those small midranges are not very low distortion, otherwise looks pretty good. Price seems competitive. As to be expected, SPL below 100 Hz is severely limited.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still though similar SPL to KH310 below 100 Hz (above quite better) and probably higher than 8341 (which costs also quite more):

3.jpg

12.jpg

Combined with a cheap 12" sub like the Kali a quite complete and good option.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still though similar SPL to KH310 below 100 Hz
Not quite. The KH digs down about 20 to 30 Hz deeper with respectable SPL. Depending on your sub integration, that can be significant.

It’s strange that the dome tweeter can keep up with the compression driver for SPL though. One would expect the compression driver to go much louder before reaching 3% THD, especially the one used. Can’t imagine it’s lack of power. 100W should be plenty.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite. The KH digs down about 20 to 30 Hz deeper with respectable SPL. Depending on your sub integration, that can be significant.
I don't agree there, with subs I'd rather have higher SPL above 80 Hz and the KH310 is comparably limited up to 400 Hz.
Also the measured -6dB point on both is 40 Hz vs 30 Hz so not a huge difference.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't agree there, with subs I'd rather have higher SPL above 80 Hz and the KH310 is comparably limited up to 400 Hz.
Sure, but that is another issue and depending on the situation, either would suit a bit different setups.
But the difference is less than I initially thought. Mainny because the second graph goes a tad lower. This is very seducutive ;) Looking at it this way:
1642065629623.png

I must agree: the difference is marginal below 100 Hz.
Also the measured -6dB point on both is 40 Hz vs 30 Hz so not a huge difference.
Better look at -10 dB though, since that is still half as loud and therefore still significant (and even more so with room gain).

Top Bottom