• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon x2700h or x3800h help me choose the right one

hello12

Hi guys, please help me choose the right one to my needs.

My room is 18m2, the couch is against the wall. I want dolby atmos, warm sound, deep bass. 70% movies 30% stereo.
I tested marantz sr6015 i liked details, wide stage, vocals but the low bass was too gentle for me, and i expected more from audyssey xt32 - it improved sound but not much. Maybe my acoustics aren't that bad?

is there a significant difference in the sound quality itself x2700h or x3800h? Price difference 700$ is a lot.

I know the differences in the specifications but advantages like dirac, auro 3d or an additional amplifier = more $ to spend on license, more speakers... is it worth?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

My room is 18m2, the couch is against the wall. I want dolby atmos, warm sound, deep bass. 70% movies 30% stereo.
I tested marantz sr6015 i liked details, wide stage, vocals but the low bass was too gentle for me, and i expected more from audyssey xt32 - it improved sound but not much. Maybe my acoustics aren't that bad?

is there a significant difference in the sound quality itself x2700h or x3800h? Price difference 700$ is a lot.

I know the differences in the specifications but advantages like dirac, auro 3d or an additional amplifier = more $ to spend on license, more speakers... is it worth?

If you like Atomos, and deep bass, get the X3800H. Just keep in mind, regardless of what people say about the Marantz sound, the SR6015 and X3700H shouldn't sound much different if at all so if you found the SR6015's bass too gentle you should try and find out why, would it because you listen at well below reference level but did not engage DEQ? Or you use the default XT32 target curve that likely would have remove the boost from room gain?

Power output requirement could also be a factor, what is your power requirements based on you speakers, and listening habit?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

The preferences you described primarily depend on your speaker and room (incl seating position) and not on the amp. Besides with Audyssey you can dial in your personal preference curve with the App for example.

What speakers do you have?
How loud do you want to listen?

(BTW. Listening position against the wall is often not ideal. Reflections, Nulls or Peaks).

OP
H

hello12

SR6015 and X3700H shouldn't sound much different if at all so if you found the SR6015's bass too gentle you should try and find out why, would it because you listen at well below reference level but did not engage DEQ?
I am familiar with denon avr settings so i tested every situations, also used mobile app. Well, on amrir test review marantz and denon showed very different results in favor of denon so I dare to suppose they sound different
my speakers are 8ohm tannoy 7.4, easy speakers

OP
H

hello12

The preferences you described primarily depend on your speaker and room (incl seating position) and not on the amp. Besides with Audyssey you can dial in your personal preference curve with the App for example.

What speakers do you have?
How loud do you want to listen?

(BTW. Listening position against the wall is often not ideal. Reflections, Nulls or Peaks).
8ohm, tannoy 7.4

loudest watching movies was like 59-63 on 1-100 scale but I don't remember the calibration results for the -db of the individual channels so that doesn't say much
Stereo from 50-80 on 1-100 scale.
Sitting close to wall increases the bass, does not lower it. Also on that wall i have soundproofing with a soft material, it does not change the sound of the bass, but the mid and high tones sound better.
I tried every possibilities with audyssey and off, also used mobile app.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
8ohm, tannoy 7.4

loudest watching movies was like 59-63 on 1-100 scale but I don't remember the calibration results for the -db of the individual channels so that doesn't say much
Stereo from 50-80 on 1-100 scale.
Sitting close to wall increases the bass, does not lower it. Also on that wall i have soundproofing with a soft material, it does not change the sound of the bass, but the mid and high tones sound better.
I tried every possibilities with audyssey and off, also used mobile app.

Since you have the mobile App, have you tried turning on DEQ, and disable MRC, and use the reference curve?

Denon measured on ASR with lower distortions but Marantz's distortions at your listening level (59-63) would be within a couple dB to Denon's and well below the threshold of audibility. You will most likely not hear a difference if you don't know which one is playing, because the detailed measurements did not show a reason for any obvious (perhaps very subtle difference is possible) audible difference, at least for most people with normal hearing. Anyway, if you prefer Denon then you prefer Denon, given their similarity in specs, I don't anyone will try to influence you on that based on sound quality alone.

theBruce

3800 has pre outs, you might want to add a amp to it, the 2800 you cannot.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mentioned you tested the Marantz. Can you also test the Denon to form your own impression? How many speakers and subwoofers are you planning to use? I would take either Denon over the Marantz due to the better engineering performance. No reason to go with a poorer performance that you don't like anyway and costs more money.

delta76

Major Contributor
For most speakers no you won't likely hear a difference. It only matters if you have some very inefficient speakers that need more power than the avr can provide.

The price difference goes to features, not sound quality. If you are building a home theatre and have the fund to buy x3800h, I can't see why not

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For most speakers no you won't likely hear a difference. It only matters if you have some very inefficient speakers that need more power than the avr can provide.

The price difference goes to features, not sound quality. If you are building a home theatre and have the fund to buy x3800h, I can't see why not
I tend to agree pick between the Denons based on the features you need. If you are running multiple subwoofers then the 3800 would give you a noticable improvement in bass management and in room bass response. If you are running only 1 sub then the 2700 will give you all you need.

Dirac is a nice upgrade but if you use the Audyssey app to adjust the target curve it will do a great job getting you a good in-room response and you can spend the money you save on more speakers. :)

OP
H

hello12

You mentioned you tested the Marantz. Can you also test the Denon to form your own impression?No reason to go with a poorer performance that you don't like anyway and costs more money.

You mentioned you tested the Marantz. Can you also test the Denon to form your own impression? How many speakers and subwoofers are you No reason to go with a poorer performance that you don't like anyway and costs more money.
Yes, if i buy one i can write here my impressions.(should be in 1-2 weeks)
Dont know why but here in europe new marantz 6015 cost on amazon 1300$, x3700h almost impossible to get - 1370$ so marantz is cheaper :)

I want dolby atmos so 7.1 at least, on 9.1 marantz i used front speakers in bi-amp, mid and highs were clearer, better, didnt notice much difference in bass.
I will never use more than 2 subwoofers.

GalZohar

2700 has XT, not XT32, so the EQ for the bass will be very poor compared to 3700 or 3800.
The rest of the differences are insignificant for most people, and you should only take them into consideration if you know you specifically need said feature.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 3800, with what we know about it so far, will give you years of uograde options should you need them. Pre-amp out, Dirac live, DLBC, 4 sub outs could all make considerable differences now or in the future as your circumstances change.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitely not the 2700. It doesn’t have Audyssey XT32. Dirac does not pump bass. So expect a clean sound but not a theatrical sound at the volumes you listen to. DEQ is your best bet.

The best thing you could do for more bass is add a sub.

Those Tannoys don’t have enough to true deep bass. I have the Polk L800’s which have 2 10” drivers and a massive port they are 120lbs) and I throw about 300W’s
Per channel. Still not enough bass by a mile.

I’d get a sub before a new AVR. SVS has the Microsubs which are very small and have an F3 to 23Hz. Or get one of their 1000 or 2000 pro series which was slightly larger. I’m assuming you don’t have room or aesthetic desires for a larger sub.

Otherwise, you could get a ported monster from them and it would pound.

OP
H

hello12

The 3800, with what we know about it so far, will give you years of uograde options should you need them. Pre-amp out, Dirac live, DLBC, 4 sub outs could all make considerable differences now or in the future as your circumstances change.
It would be great if the avr had been running for over 8 years without crashing, but there are so many things to break that I don't count on it. It is not in the interests of the producers to make a long-lasting receiver.
All you need is a chip failure worth $20 that you won't buy anywhere for replace

Last edited:
OP
H

hello12

Excuse me for asking, what am I missing, why are you choosing between 2700 & 3800, why not the 2800 & 3800?
what hifi review, they wrote that both the 2800 and 3800 differ from the previous models in terms of bass (it is softer)

delta76

Major Contributor
what hifi review, they wrote that both the 2800 and 3800 differ from the previous models in terms of bass (it is softer)
whathifi is probably the poorest reviewer I can think of. generic "impression" with stock photos? I'll pass.

as people have mentioned the bass is overwhelmingly affected by the subwoofer(s), then the room, not the AVR, unless they did something really really wrong with LFE (and that's very unlikely).

is $700 worth it for you, is up to you - how serious you are regarding your home theatre. If you are going for 7.2.4 which is fairly mainstream with home theatre these days, then x3800h is no brainer.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Seriously OP, the advice is resoundingly clear. You should only ask for advice if you are actually interested in hearing it and taking it.

OP
H

hello12

whathifi is probably the poorest reviewer I can think of. generic "impression" with stock photos? I'll pass.

is $700 worth it for you, is up to you - how serious you are regarding your home theatre.
Reading these reviews, I immediately thought of a correlation with the burning down of the AKM factory and a change in sound, if the 3600 and 3700 were tested great, why did the manufacturer change something? of course their review may be worth nothing and that's too far-fetched conclusions. by the way my marantz 6015 was after hdmi upgrade and with no AKM

Last edited:
Top Bottom