• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H Home Theater AVR Review

tvstaff

Please help me understand.

1. If the AVR-6700H is in essence running everything and it has 3 zones.... If I used the "Preouts" on the AVR-6700H to a AVR-4308CI or AVR-3312CI which has 3 Zones would I not now have 6 zones?
  2. Is there any reason why I would not be able to control volume or source on either unit through the Denon Ap / Wi-fi if ALL the AVR's are connected to the same network?
  3. If the AVR-6700 is connected to Alexa, is there any reason that it could not trigger the AVR-4308-IC or AVR-3312CI to play in a particular Zone?
Thank you

bigguyca

Please help me understand.

1. If the AVR-6700H is in essence running everything and it has 3 zones.... If I used the "Preouts" on the AVR-6700H to a AVR-4308CI or AVR-3312CI which has 3 Zones would I not now have 6 zones?
  2. Is there any reason why I would not be able to control volume or source on either unit through the Denon Ap / Wi-fi if ALL the AVR's are connected to the same network?
  3. If the AVR-6700 is connected to Alexa, is there any reason that it could not trigger the AVR-4308-IC or AVR-3312CI to play in a particular Zone?
Thank you

There is a lot more user support on the following site and thread. You may wish to ask your questions there.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...-faq-posts-1-8.3151088/page-226#post-60153506

Bello

Did anyone work with Denon to get their x6700h capacitors replaced?

I did at first but later backed out of a Denon replacement. I prefer having my system replaced new by my vendor, not repaired. Denon may tell you that they're repairing and or will replace the system, if requested. My thoughts on Denon replacements, may or may not be a fresh replacement. Might be one that was repaired / cycled through? Your choice... I had a 60 day vendor return.

Archaea

@amirm

The capacitor issue you tested...would that produce this type of static for a couple minutes at a start from warm standby? The static noise dissipates to inaudible after a couple minutes while standing at the speaker, and less time than that from the seats.

Once the receiver is warm, if I power down and restart the X6700H the static noise will not be there at all. It's really only if I turn it off and come back the next day to listen again that I'll get this warm up static. If it's off for a few hours, and then a later listening session that same day - the static is less than if I leave it off in standby for a day or two. It definitely seems to be some sort of warm up/charge period?

My previous Denon X7200WA did NOT make this noise on the same exact system setup.

I've not really bothered with it, because it's just a short window of annoyance and then seems fine - but I think with the HDMI 2.1 issue as well seeming increasingly clear that it won't be a firmware fix, I'm going to contact Denon and see if I can orchestrate a return or perhaps a refund. My serial number ends in 000370 and I bought this in July pretty early on - so I think I do have one of the early units. I wish I would not have sold my X7200WA -- that would make this choice easier...

oupee

The 4700 did the same for me. Even after two hours of playback and mainly from the top speakers. I returned it to the seller yesterday.
I'm also sorry I sold the Marantz SR6013. I have nothing and I'm afraid to buy something.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

The capacitor issue you tested...would that produce this type of static for a couple minutes at a start from warm standby? The static noise dissipates to inaudible after a couple minutes while standing at the speaker, and less time than that from the seats.

Once the receiver is warm, if I power down and restart the X6700H the static noise will not be there at all. It's really only if I turn it off and come back the next day to listen again that I'll get this warm up static. If it's off for a few hours, and then a later listening session that same day - the static is less than if I leave it off in standby for a day or two. It definitely seems to be some sort of warm up/charge period?

My previous Denon X7200WA did NOT make this noise on the same exact system setup.

I've not really bothered with it, because it's just a short window of annoyance and then seems fine - but I think with the HDMI 2.1 issue as well seeming increasingly clear that it won't be a firmware fix, I'm going to contact Denon and see if I can orchestrate a return or perhaps a refund.
If the AVR is still covered by warranty then you should have it being fixed. Things like this get worse over time.

Archaea

Someone on AVS pointed out that if he switches his AVR to Auto Auto or Eco On the start up noise immediately stops. I've always run mine on Eco Off.
I tested and he was spot on the money. I turn it to Eco On or Auto Eco and it immediately is quiet. I switch it back to Eco Off and it immediately makes the static noise. Rinse and repeat as many times as you'd like - until a couple minutes in when all three of the settings don't make noise. So while I still don't know what to make of it, that's interesting.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone on AVS pointed out that if he switches his AVR to Auto Auto or Eco On the start up noise immediately stops. I've always run mine on Eco Off.
I tested and he was spot on the money. I turn it to Eco On or Auto Eco and it immediately is quiet. I switch it back to Eco Off and it immediately makes the static noise. Rinse and repeat as many times as you'd like - until a couple minutes in when all three of the settings don't make noise. So while I still don't know what to make of it, that's interesting.

That sounded like 60/120 Hz related hum, was it independent of the volume position? Regardless, my AVR-X4400H, that I expect has the same/similar power supply, power amp section do not have such issue so I think there is something wrong with yours, possible a bad cap or other components/parts in the power supply's grounding scheme, just guessing. I would suggest you request a replacement and see what happens, even if it doesn't bother you at the moment. Eco off might have make it worse because of the higher rail voltage.

Last edited:

Archaea

That sounded like 60/120 Hz related hum, was it independent of the volume position? Regardless, my AVR-X4400H, that I expect has the same/similar power supply, power amp section do not have such issue so I think there is something wrong with yours, possible a bad cap or other components/parts in the power supply's grounding scheme, just guessing. I would suggest you request a replacement and see what happens, even if it doesn't bother you at the moment. Eco off might have make it worse because of the higher rail voltage.
Not 60Hz hum, at least not like the subs make 60hz hum in a pure test tone way, it’s much more of a static sound.

yes it is independent of main volume position. From reference down to “- -“ it’s the same static sound and doesn’t audibly change in intensity.

I did learn that if Auto Eco is engaged and you turn the volume up above -30 (where 0 is reference) it must kick out of Eco mode and it immediately goes to the static noise. You then lower the volume to below -30 again and cycle back to Auto Eco with the remote and it goes quiet again. This cycle is 100% repeatable.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not 60Hz hum, at least not like the subs make 60hz hum in a pure test tone way, it’s much more of a static sound.

yes it is independent of main volume position. From reference down to “- -“ it’s the same static sound and doesn’t audibly change in intensity.

I did learn that if Auto Eco is engaged and you turn the volume up above -30 (where 0 is reference) it must kick out of Eco mode and it immediately goes to the static noise. You then lower the volume to below -30 again and cycle back to Auto Eco with the remote and it goes quiet again. This cycle is 100% repeatable.

Thank for confirming what I suspected, that ECO modes affected the outcome because of the voltage change. And that also reinforces (still not 100% sure, just a good possibility) that it has something to do with a cap/caps somewhere in the PS. By the way, what I heard in the video you posted, did sound like 120 Hz to me, and that's the 2nd harmonic (that's why I did not say 60 Hz, but 60/120 Hz) of a ground loop related kind of hum/static noise. It did not, and would not sound like a pure 120 Hz tone because it isn't such a tone, but a noise due to some sort of ground loop. That's why it sounded more like static.. There could also be an outside chance that it has something to do with you have hooked up in your system too that somehow interacted with the AVR and induced such noise that happened to be just more audible when the rail voltage was high enough. That should be an easy one to eliminate, just by disconnecting everything unrelated to audio, like fans, antennas, external devices etc.,, to the AVR.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank for confirming what I suspected, that ECO modes affected the outcome because of the voltage change. And that also reinforces (still not 100% sure, just a good possibility) that it has something to do with a cap/caps somewhere in the PS. By the way, what I heard in the video you posted, did sound like 120 Hz to me, and that's the 2nd harmonic (that's why I did not say 60 Hz, but 60/120 Hz) of a ground loop related kind of hum/static noise. It did not, and would not sound like a pure 120 Hz tone because it isn't such a tone, but a noise due to some sort of ground loop. That's why it sounded more like static.. There could also be an outside chance that it has something to do with you have hooked up in your system too that somehow interacted with the AVR and induced such noise that happened to be just more audible when the rail voltage was high enough. That should be an easy one to eliminate, just by disconnecting everything unrelated to audio, like fans, antennas, external devices etc.,, to the AVR.

There can also be weirdo's. For example, my AV8801 produced hiss out of my mains when was adding a connection. It went away when I wiggled the power connection. In the end, it was serviced and they replaced the power receptacle.

I'd push for a replacement.

- Rich

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would agree with Rich... push for replacement if at all possible.

Repro

@amirm

I've not really bothered with it, because it's just a short window of annoyance and then seems fine - but I think with the HDMI 2.1 issue as well seeming increasingly clear that it won't be a firmware fix, I'm going to contact Denon and see if I can orchestrate a return or perhaps a refund. My serial number ends in 000370 and I bought this in July pretty early on - so I think I do have one of the early units. I wish I would not have sold my X7200WA -- that would make this choice easier...

I am having the same startup noise, and I am wondering if Denon has provided any official solution. So far, they have had me reset the unit, which did not resolve the issue.

Repro

Anyone have any further updates on a resolution to the startup noise?

insoc

Hello. I'm stuck deciding between the 6700H or the Marantz SR8015. I will use it exclusively for my home theater because I have a separate stereo system. I'm replacing my Onkyo NR 787. I'm almost decided to buy the 6700H but I'm afraid because all the problems it has (including the capacitors issue) whereas I haven't read any bad issues about the SR8015. Would the SR8015 be the safest bet?

Archaea

Hello. I'm stuck deciding between the 6700H or the Marantz SR8015. I will use it exclusively for my home theater because I have a separate stereo system. I'm replacing my Onkyo NR 787. I'm almost decided to buy the 6700H but I'm afraid because all the problems it has (including the capacitors issue) whereas I haven't read any bad issues about the SR8015. Would the SR8015 be the safest bet?
They fixed the capacitor issue on the x6700h after 8xx unit (serial number) off the line. That’s a long time back in the stock inventory of course. Should be good to go now. The exact number someone received from Denon is in this 6700 series thread or the other 6700 thread somewhere. My unit was affected but it was In the first 3xx something if my 3AM tired brain is recalling correctly.

bigguyca

Well here you go...

Denon/Marantz are owned by the same company and that company is owned by a private equity firm. The SR8015 and the X6700H are made made in the same factory in Japan. It seems likely that the same type of part substitutions would be made for the SR8015 as the X6700H if a part wasn't available. Denon/Marantz just was caught in the case of the X6700H. The X6700H was essentially unlucky to get caught, if a piece of electronics can be unlucky.

The SR8015 hasn't been measured by ASR. The preamp measurements are especially important since they were poor in the SR8012. Some measurements are available from other sources, but they are incomplete, not well documented and some are filtered with a fanboy attitude in IMO. Measurements at the 4V preamp ASR standard output aren't available. It really isn't clear exactly how well the SR8015 preamp outputs perform. Hopefully (not my favorite word) an SR8015 will soon be measured in ASR. It would be really great if it did well. It would be nice to have at least one acceptable alterative from Marantz.

The SR8015 has the same non-standard DAC (reconstruction) filter as other Marantz units. Marantz doesn't even provide a choice of DAC filters. A choice of filters is available in the DAC IC that Marantz uses. Implementing different filters only requires changing values input to ports and allowing the choice in the user menu structure. There is no reason for these non-standard filters to be imposed on owners without alternatives. Given that it would take almost no effort to fix this issue, it is ridiculous that it exists.

The SR8015 uses the same power amplifier modules as the X6700H and X8500H. The power amplifier channels in the X6700 and X8500H both didn't measure as well as those in the lower cost X4700H and X3700H, and also demonstrated variability between channels. This variability was seen in measurements from another source as well.

All the Denon/Marantz AVR's and AVP's were sold with specifications claiming that they would pass HDMI 2.1 4k/120Hz. This is not the case and Denon/Marantz has admitted this fact. Now the units have begun to be advertised as potentially having problems with 4K/124Hz. It isn't clear how this issue will be resolved. Will current Denon/Marantz owners with the HDMI 2.1 4k/120Hz issue be treated fairly?

Are the issues bad? That's for you to decide, but now you do have a few.

Other than higher cost, which is a feature to many people, and a different appearance (to me they are both black boxes), it is difficult to justify purchasing the SR8015 over the X6700H.

Roland

I’m puzzled as to why you would want to use the pre-outs of a Marantz SR8015 or a Denon AVR-X6700H given that they output 140w, and anyone who can tell the difference between dac filters must have amazing ears!

bigguyca

I’m puzzled as to why you would want to use the pre-outs of a Marantz SR8015 or a Denon AVR-X6700H given that they output 140w, and anyone who can tell the difference between dac filters must have amazing ears!

WOW that's a "clever" question. It's great to have such an insightful person on this forum. No one ever raised that subject before...
No wait, that subject has been raised previously.

What can be heard and not heard concerning various characteristics, measurements, hardware architectures, etc., has been discussed over what must be thousands of posts.

Rather than ruining this thread by taking the thread into another ultimately pointless discussion, please start a new thread with your question.

Top Bottom