• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

bigguyca

okay all... my head is spinning from trying to follow everything in the 4700 threads here. My concern is my surround config is 5.1 and I am looking to move to 5.1.2 and maybe even 5.1.4 eventually.

I want to future proof myself by getting an 8k capable receiver and as of now Denon and Marantz is it.

Running 5.1 I will suffer some downmixing degradation because of the issue that assuming I did not miss anything on is NOT resolved and we don't even have a commitment if it can or will be resolved correct? I also like listening to music mostly streaming from my iphone using airplay 2. Will I suffer form the downmixing as well in this scenario trying play 2 channel or maybe 2.1 music via airplay?

Now the other wrench I am going to throw into this is I am considering doing the 3700 instead of the 4700 and just getting the emotiva BasX A-300 for the front mains or the XPA-3 Gen 3 for all the fronts (Main and center) and later adding on the BasX A-500 in both scenarios eventually budget permitting. I think most of my surround and future atmos will work fine with 110W. BUT... I am unclear if disconnecting the main will allow me to go above 1.4v for the amps. That said I *think that is irrelevant because the gain sensitivity on the emotiva amps are 1.2amps at reference? The XPA3 I have no concerns about.. plenty of headroom but if I decided to be a little more conservative because of budget and choose the BasX A-300 for the mains... I fear it is possible I get to reference maybe a little over? I really don't know how likely I will ever need to go that loud.

If I get just the one emotiva BasX A-300 and I have to go over reference volume and I have the mains disconnected on the Denon am I still in good shape or do we need ALL internal amps on the Denon disconnected to be able to go to 1.4v and above?

Sorry, hope I am not confusing anything. When responding please be mindful I am still trying to wrap my head around most of this stuff. When I look at the graphs and all that stuff I understand virtually none of it. I want to better understand it... just don't as of now.

In any case for the money it feels like skipping the 4700 and going the 3700 is the move... assuming I wont have issues with using the external amps I am choosing and that I would have issues playing 2 channel music with Airplay. I am not sure what the source is that is being sent from my phone using apple music. Not sure if it will send a native 2 channel signal or what.

What needs to be resolved concerning your proposed setup?

The "downmixing" issue noted first with the X4700H doesn't seem like a real issue. It's just the way the Amir's output from a PC and digital processing likely work. It's hard to see how else that configuration would logically perform. There likely isn't anything that needs to be "fixed."

Last edited:

Trodder

What needs to be resolved concerning your proposed setup?

The "downmixing" issue noted first with the X4700H doesn't seem like a real issue. It's just the way the Amir's output from a PC and digital processing likely work. It's hard to see how else that configuration would logically perform. There likely isn't anything that needs to be "fixed."
I think what you are saying is using airplay will NOT give me the Dow mix issue correct?

also Amir seemed clear that using 5.1 would suffer some loss for downmixing if the source (smart TV) is sending a 7.1+ channel audio signal. Is it enough to matter?

I think I want to go the 3700 with the bigger 3 channel amp right out of the gate and get the 5 channel add on later. Any concerns with going above 1.4v if I disconnect the front main speakers?

brettjv

I think what you are saying is using airplay will NOT give me the Dow mix issue correct?

also Amir seemed clear that using 5.1 would suffer some loss for downmixing if the source (smart TV) is sending a 7.1+ channel audio signal. Is it enough to matter?

I think I want to go the 3700 with the bigger 3 channel amp right out of the gate and get the 5 channel add on later. Any concerns with going above 1.4v if I disconnect the front main speakers?

It won't cause the issue because airplay would never be a 7.1 signal (that would come in only on HDMI). Or if even it was, the amp always sees it as 2-ch. And Amir has said while there may be a slight SINAD degradation feeding a 7.1 channel signal to a 5.1 system it so small as to not worry about it.

Trodder

It won't cause the issue because airplay would never be a 7.1 signal (that would come in only on HDMI). Or if even it was, the amp always sees it as 2-ch. And Amir has said while there may be a slight SINAD degradation feeding a 7.1 channel signal to a 5.1 system it so small as to not worry about it.
Thank you! I appreciate the response. Like I said my brain is all over the place trying to keep track of everything said. I ended up going with the 4700 as originally planned and also the emotiva XPA-3. I think after rerewding everything I think I was mistaken in thinking I can disconnect the front main channels? I thought Amir said you could do that OR go full preamp mode? Eventually it won’t matter but for a while I will not be able to fo full preamp mode. Was hoping if I can disconnect the fronts that might keep the heat factor down.

tvstaff

Denon X4700H and Sonos

I'm reading some pretty bad reviews of Sonos, I'd rather own two Denon 4700's than integrate Sonos. Am I crazy for thinking like this? Or crazy like a fox? Thank you

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon X4700H and Sonos

I'm reading some pretty bad reviews of Sonos, I'd rather own two Denon 4700's than integrate Sonos. Am I crazy for thinking like this? Or crazy like a fox? Thank you
Sonos has a place depending on your needs. The Sonos amp could have been a great device had Sonos on neutered it by not allowing eq of your own speakers. For our whole house audio I use a couple of older Sonos connects and the newer play 5 Speaker. Been using sonos for 10 plus years with no issues. I use Roon in my main system with a minidsp shd as well as roon with all of the Sonos pieces. I keep it because I don’t ever have to touch it. If my roon server stops working, my wife can simply open up the sonos app and it all works perfectly still. Their wireless mesh system works very well, and all the zones are always in sync. There are a lot of other ways to accomplish things but it is simple and rock solid. But I use a Denon X3500 in our living room and a Denon X8500 in the theater, but Sonos has worked well for music streaming for me.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I appreciate the response. Like I said my brain is all over the place trying to keep track of everything said. I ended up going with the 4700 as originally planned and also the emotiva XPA-3. I think after rerewding everything I think I was mistaken in thinking I can disconnect the front main channels? I thought Amir said you could do that OR go full preamp mode? Eventually it won’t matter but for a while I will not be able to fo full preamp mode. Was hoping if I can disconnect the fronts that might keep the heat factor down.

My X4400H can do it and I have done it so I would think the X4700H can disconnect the front two channels too if you use the amp assign feature to assign them to pre outs. For the X4400H, pretty sure the X4500H too, you can only do it if you select 11 channel layout such as 7.1.4. I am not 100% sure if the X4700H can be done the exact same way.

brettjv

Yeah, I read through most of this thread to get my bearings as well. It's pretty complex at times and def. there's stuff I still don't 'get' :)

I have my doubts about how much difference it makes in terms of heat but yeah, you might as well flip to 11CH mode if you have ext. amps for L/R. It's not actually powering down the internal amps, it's just the difference between two amps getting a preamp signal w/no speakers connected to the outputs vs. two amps getting no preamp signal w/no speakers connected to the outputs. Doubt the heat produced is all that much different as the 'work' of pushing the speakers is not being done in either case (and the device is still 'on').

But again, you might as well do it since you can ;)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have not read all 65 pages of this thread to see if this has been discussed.

@amirm points out that the front amps can be switched off. That is not exactly how I found things to work in practice, and this took some time to figure out.

In Setup > Speakers > Amp Assign, there is an option to set the preamp outputs to Front. This setting is only available when Assign Mode is set to 11.1 AND all 9 amp channels are assigned to speakers. Otherwise, the preamp outputs will default to Front, but the front amps will still be activated.

I have what amounts to a 7.2 setup, except I am not currently running a center channel (Revels in a small room) and am driving my front pair with a Nova 150 in HTB mode. That means the AVR amps are driving the side surrounds and rear surrounds. So, the AVR sees a 4.2 setup.

My Assign Mode is set to 11.1, and my layout is set to 5ch+SB. Elsewhere, my Center is set to None. The Terminal Configuration shows the Front pre outs as hot, and the rest as cold. Everything works as intended.

BUT, the Front speaker terminals are still hot.

I have read everything I can find to read, Gurgled the hell out of, and watched a bunch of videos. I cannot find a way to turn off or disconnect amps in the 4700, short of selecting a bunch of non-existent height speakers, then setting the Fronts to Pre. All 9 amps are still operating, but two of them appear be disconnected from the front circuitry. It is a kluge, but a usable work-around. In any case, I do not hear an audible difference either way.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot find a way to turn off or disconnect amps in the 4700, short of selecting a bunch of non-existent height speakers, then setting the Fronts to Pre. All 9 amps are still operating, but two of them appear be disconnected from the front circuitry. It is a kluge, but a usable work-around. In any case, I do not hear an audible difference either way.

I am using 11 channels with my 4400 but just to satisfy my curiosity I have tried using the amp assign to disconnect the front left/right and then go back to the speaker menu to de-select a bunch of speakers to basically 5.1, then go back to the amp assign screen and could see that the front left/right channels were still shown assigned to pre out. I then checked those two channel internal amps and verified that they were "disconnected".

So if you cannot do the same, then perhaps D+M has made a change to the 2020 models. If true, people need to complain and request them to change it back via FW update (yes, that's wishful thinking..)

Corrupted

Hey guys! I need desperate help with my x4700h (EU) model which I purchased about 2 months ago. Main issue is that I can't get sound through receiver when playing Netflix, it goes over on tv speakers, and recently the tv decoder resets itself to 1080p each time I try to stream from pc and the picture cuts repeatedly. I don't know what to do, please help!

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone found a copy of a pdf version of the 4700h manual?
The online one is less than optimal to have to use.
TIA

Akary

have you read about the problem of HDMI ports with 8k 60hz or 4k 120hz signals does anyone have the possibility to have a PC with rtx 3080 3090 to try it out?

Akary

the problem of the initial volume returning to 0 if set to a given digit has not yet been solved?

JonfromCB

Hey guys! I need desperate help with my x4700h (EU) model which I purchased about 2 months ago. Main issue is that I can't get sound through receiver when playing Netflix, it goes over on tv speakers, and recently the tv decoder resets itself to 1080p each time I try to stream from pc and the picture cuts repeatedly. I don't know what to do, please help!

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this.

Corrupted, did you get this sorted out yet? If not, I recommend you go over to the AVSForum and in the "official" 2020 Denon AVR owners thread there is a Denon Rep' who is very helpful. He goes by "jdsmoothie".

dwalme

Corrupted, did you get this sorted out yet? If not, I recommend you go over to the AVSForum and in the "official" 2020 Denon AVR owners thread there is a Denon Rep' who is very helpful. He goes by "jdsmoothie".

He is just an AV reseller.

Top Bottom