• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Delta-sigma vs “Multibit”: what’s the big deal?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I saw that the dac can render muli level tones keeping very low thd. I wasn't sure of this seeing the other tests before. Yet i'm not sure of the precision of the level and how much it matters.

The DS design has greater resolution and lower distortion thus its levels are more precise than R2R DACs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I saw that the dac can render muli level tones keeping very low thd. I wasn't sure of this seeing the other tests before. Yet i'm not sure of the precision of the level and how much it matters.

The precision of the DAC in question has been documented and exceeds that of any known (to me) R2R

edit: DonH56 beat me to it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suspect Alan's DAC1 but I may be wrong about that as well.:rolleyes:

Have a look at the linearity plots made by Amir of R2R and DS DAC's.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Delta what now? :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm posting from a phone or I'd find it. If you'll look at some tests I've posted on low level linearity, you'll see sigma Delta DAC s are practically perfect down to 22 bits. Probably lower but it's hard to measure that low. I don't think any multi bit dacs come close.

The signal I use has 1 bit positive, a zero and 1 bit negative with a zero. The values are such that only one bit level is on at anytime and no others.

Does that make sense?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is it for all frequencies?

Lower frequency will cause more bits (samples) to be used (populatd) per cycle.

The signal I use has 1 bit positive, a zero and 1 bit negative with a zero.

This signal frequency would be at an integer ratio to the sample rate, I'm thinking 1/4 (but I get to be wrong).

Bluespower

Do you think it would be revelant to test how much bit precision at 16 khz we can get from 44.khz 16 bit sample?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lower frequency will cause more bits (samples) to be used (populatd) per cycle.

This signal frequency would be at an integer ratio to the sample rate, I'm thinking 1/4 (but I get to be wrong).
Yes 1/4 of sample rate.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do you think it would be revelant to test how much bit precision at 16 khz we can get from 44.khz 16 bit sample?

You can get more than 16bit precision from dithered 16bit input (I think, somebody else chime in please).

Top Bottom