• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deleted

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just because something "doesn't exist in nature" doesn't mean it is audible.
We need to make a human hearing filter. After the filter all are the same.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
First one speaker and after the second to verify the change.

I have no logical explanation, as with the ferrite. 3.9 uF + 0.022 uF = 3.9022 uF. The resistence must be almost the same too.

The difference is such that the whole family has hallucinated by the change.

- End off topic -

Re-opening topic again..

At 20kHz the impedance of a 22nF = 360 Ohm.
At 20kHz the impedance of a 3.9uF = 2 Ohm.

0.55% of all current going through the tweeter is coming through the 22nF the other 99.45% still though the 3.9uF
The current through the 22nF is 45dB lower than the total current so 0.05dB is contributed by the 22nF.

I assume someone else already did the math for you as well.

Adding small capacitances in parallel to bigger ones is done in decoupling (the speaker filter is coupling) and is done for a reason.
The reason being keeping the internal resistance of the to be decoupled device as low as possible and is essential this is done as close as possible to the component. In this case we talk MHz to GHz range because larger capacitors start to rise in impedance again and smaller sizes take over.

Reactions: trl

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The ONLY way to test this would be to blind test with the 22nF via a switch operated by someone else and you don't know if it is in or out of the circuit. I am quite certain you, nor the whole family can hear any difference.
You can extend such an experiment over many months as well.
Pretty sure you will end up with a close to perfect 50% score.

Maybe it has something to do with harmonics, like resistors with very low inductance as Mills and others

No.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, I am incapable and have several bottlenecks and proud of it ;)
Not a Diyaudio member. :(

Veri

Master Contributor
It seems obvious that you would be incapable. If I say that the improvement is AMAZING, it is clear that anyone can hear it, even the elderly.

Sigh.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In my second system, so cheap, I only have one now, presumably, the amplifier. The others bottlenecks have been eliminated or very minimized without damaging the sound.

It bothers me a lot to not know why the cap bypass and the ferrite improves the sound. No one offers a convincing answer, at least to me, but it is not obvious that the great sound improvement has occurred.

Why does it work? Crossover with RF ferrite (wires) and 10nF polystyrene (bypass) March 2018
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...rf-ferrite-wires-10nf-polystyrene-bypass.html

And since I am methodical, next week I will change the resistors. First only in one box to compare with the other.

It looks like a simple 2-way filter like this one here:

cross5.gif

Source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Audio/cross.html
Maybe the added capacitor will lower tweeter's low-pass filter frequency with few hundred of hertz, but not sure without seeing the actual schematic and components values.

The ferrite bead might be causing some sort of oscillations (or post-ringing?) to the amplifier itself...but this is so easy to check with a scope connected to speaker wires or with REW and any microphone, by simply comparing before vs. after measurements.

Without couple of simple measurements I don't think anyone will be able to tell the whole truth here.

Top Bottom