• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dealing with thread disruptors and spammers...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thomas savage said:
So yes at some point a line has to be drawn.

Please let's not use this post as a point of discussion , carry on with the subject of the op but please keep the above in mind.

Over the 20+ years that I have participated at various internet forums, I have seen obsessive, repetitious, thread-degrading pissing contests and flame wars ruin many good, productive discussions. Banning posters and deleting posts can result in yet more chaos when the perps whine at other forums around the internet, and complain about a site's "censorship."

Although it takes a bit of a moderator's time, a better solution is to create a special sub-forum for thread disruptors, and let them go at it there. This technique can eventually discourage and reduce the overall number of frivolous posts if you can keep those objectionable posts out of popular threads. A blatant refusal to read and respond to legitimate suggested material by ASR "Experts" arter a warning to do so should be a condition for exile to the disruptor's sub-forum.

Perhaps others have a better idea for a name for a disruptor's fsub-forum, but I suggest something that somewhat represents the problem, such as "Audio Nether-Land." Either whole threads or individual posts/exchanges can then be moved there. This could result in two primary benefits:
  1. Useful and informative threads are kept on topic, and remain more attractive to those who truly want do discuss and learn - especially new arrivals now - and "old topic" searchers in the future - who are turned off by a thread containing 20 useful comments and 200 blather-filled comments to wade through. (Occasional off-topic or tangential comments would be discouraged, but allowed. I certainly am guilty of that minor offense upon occasion. However, if kept to a minimum, such comments help to build the personal relationships between participants that makes a forum more personal, friendly and less sterile.)
  2. Those who repeatably pollute threads with useless, repetitive blather would not be able to complain about censorship, although they definitely will whine abut being shuffled off to the nether-land.
1563980506410.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was such a place.

It got banned.

Actually, Ray, I'm not talking about a place for politics and other actual "off-topic" food-fights, but rather a repository for the multiple, technically "on-topic" posts about things like "how experts should design audio hardware" and what Amir and others "need to test". These exchanges really dilute the usefulness of many threads.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's a cool looking cat in your avatar. What kind is it? I used to own a calico. Did you know that only females can be calico because they get the different colors from the two different x chromosomes because the redundant x chromosome is only deactivated after about 50 rounds of cell division have already occurred?

Anyway, what were we talking about?

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a cool looking cat in your avatar. What kind is it?

From a recent post by me here at ASR..."in memory of Pickle, my similar-looking cross-eyed Siamese cat from the 1960's."
Goofy Cat.jpg

Anyway, what were we talking about?

The look on the cat's face says it all...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
From a recent post by me here at ASR..."in memory of Pickle, my similar-looking cross-eyed Siamese cat from the 1960's."
View attachment 29972

Looks like it was expecting you to have underpants on under those trousers..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Tbh in these types of cases it's probably best to do nothing, it's just plenty of you give up your free time to post such brilliant informative content and I feel bad when that gets shat on and diluted beyond all reasonable measure .

If no one's complaining in the thread I won't tend to do anything, when a bunch of respect guys are moaning consistently I try and intervene.

It's not a self righteous thing on my behalf, really the guys moderate it themselves but sometimes action beyond their remit is needed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
View attachment 29972

Kool cat. I had my Siamese (Tiki) for 20 years. She was my best friend and constant companion.
Been gone near 15 years now and I still miss her

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suggest something that somewhat represents the problem, such as "Audio Nether-Land."

So ... I am the problem ??? :D I am from (the) Netherlands which is normally called 'Netherland' ;):p

I do understand your frustration (it annoys me too as well as others).

Annoying as some can be in some cases it stems from people knowing (are convinced) to know how things work and are also convinced folks here don't know as much and on top of that all seem to be arm-chair experts without ears.
They pop up regularly.

I see 2 options.. ignore them or come with convincing counter evidence or explanations that make things clear.
Alas not to them (too stubborn) but to show or point at the science behind it.

There are a lot more of those people and some aren't that vocal. To become vocal and take on 'stupid and deaf' engineers with poorer knowledge you have to feel confident in your beliefs.

In the end when all explaining has been done and regurgitated many times in most cases these individuals won't have changed their minds.
But the info is still there, hidden behind harsh words and 'almost insults' and other readers could benefit and may be looking for that info.

The thread in question now has seen 3 of these individuals and they will keep coming as that thread is divisive (like cable threads) and contains the question that many ask themselves.

IMO Thomas handles this well.. a (formerly) retired sheriff does not have to babysit.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So ... I am the problem ??? :D I am from (the) Netherlands which is normally called 'Netherland' ;):p

Annoying as some can be in some cases it stems from people knowing (are convinced) to know how things work and are also convinced folks here don't know as much and on top of that all seem to be arm-chair experts without ears.
They pop up regularly.

I see 2 options.. ignore them or come with convincing counter evidence or explanations that make things clear.
Alas not to them (too stubborn) but to show or point at the science behind it.

There are a lot more of those people and some aren't that vocal. To become vocal and take on 'stupid and deaf' engineers with poorer knowledge you have to feel confident in your beliefs.

In the end when all explaining has been done and regurgitated many times in most cases these individuals won't have changed their minds.
But the info is still there, hidden behind harsh words and 'almost insults' and other readers could benefit and may be looking for that info.

The thread in question now has seen 3 of these individuals and they will keep coming as that thread is divisive (like cable threads) and contains the question that many ask themselves.

IMO Thomas handles this well.. a (formerly) retired sheriff does not have to babysit.
You did a brilliant job and with a bit of good fun an amusement too, precisely what we are about.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So ... I am the problem ??? :D I am from (the) Netherlands which is normally called 'Netherland'

LOL! As you can see from my real name in my signature, I am of Dutch heritage - even though Van Harn is from my adopted parents. My birth mother's maiden name was Dykstra, and my great-grandfather's name was Hoogenboom. Cornelius Hoogenboom died on the day before his 101st birthday, and if inherited his longevity the genes, I may have another 25 years left!

And please notice that I placed a hyhen between nether and land. :cool:

That being said, if I have to eventually use hearing aids, I might prefer analog horn hearing aids over those nasty and harsh sounding digital ones.

Horn Hearing Aid.jpg

I will, of course, let our resident sheriff handle the "serious problems" but I may occasionally honor truly deserving ASR commenters with "Pickle" and "Dubious Achievement" awards.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You did a brilliant job and with a bit of good fun an amusement too, precisely what we are about.
Oh well, now you've done it Thomas - turned me into a concern troll. :confused:

The best solution now is to turn this thread into a collection of random silliness.

Randm Acts - Home Depot.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cornelius Hoogenboom died on the day before his 101st birthday, and if inherited his longevity the genes, I may have another 25 years left!
Amazing what a bunch of ole coot's we have here. The 1950 in my user name is my year of birth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom