• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DCA CORINA Announced (New Electrostatic Headphone)

moosso

321.png

Link:
https://danclarkaudio.com/corina.html

Mr Dan Clack also said many intersting things on the headfi thread.
Assume it tuned to harman target like the Stealth and the Expanse, maybe it will be a more "resolving" Expanse?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Frequency Response : *Yes"

Well, count me in!

Seriously, though, I've never heard a good summary of any benefit of electrostatic over multi-way drivers or planars. I really like Shure's electro IEMs, but bass was not too great. For me, portability is not negotiable and very few battery-powered electrostatic HPAs that I see out there. Looking forward to the measurements and review

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Blue stitches looks bad in my opinion. Seems like they've used leftover Expanse headbands.
I used to think the same. But actually these are not leftovers.
Headband has it's own Corina stiching so they are definitely not a leftovers ;)

But I agree to my eyes headband and rods the whole design doesn't match cup look.
Or the other way around cup grill doesn't match headband.

metasharp

Worse than Stealth from what we can see here.

1686685452796.png

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Actually it's very good tuning for an electrostatic headphone.
No honky midrange no boosted treble, the only Downside is kinda lowish bass output but the extension is great.
Simple eq (bass) is going to change that headphone into extremely good one, some maybe even won't need that.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Planars and Electros are very different. The Corina has a very good bass for Electros, bass is something this kind of driver really strugles with.
What is the strength of electrostatics? I never looked into it because portable amps are a little harder to come by

Human Bass

What is the strength of electrostatics? I never looked into it because portable amps are a little harder to come by
Their drivers are just a very light membrane that is extremely fast, that gives a sense of resolution.

metasharp

Why buying an electrostatic headphone if the planar is better and cheaper?

Human Bass

Why buying an electrostatic headphone if the planar is better and cheaper?
Because it isnt that simple. The planars have more bass, but one may prefer the sound/timbre/soundstage of an electrostatic.

Yes, the planar is a safer choice, but that doesnt make it the best choice all the time.

metasharp

The whole point of averaging "preference" is the creation of the harman curve. Closer = better.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Driver type clearly influences sound. It is literally the driver that is making the sound.
You are only hearing what happens at your eardrum. It does not matter which driver is doing the work.

Frequency response and as a function of placement/coupling relative to the ear is responsible for what you hear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom