• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Headphone Review: Best in the World? (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @amirm

In this video you say you use balanced cables.

But then also say you have ADI-2 FS DAC (which doesn't have balanced cable?)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Not sure what you mean?

ADI-2-FS-C.png

Balanced analog inputs and outputs, monitoring via headphone output, SteadyClock FS for optimal conversion quality, 3-stage hardware input and output level control and the additional modes D-D and A-A turn the ADI-2 FS into a universal tool and a flexible problem solver. Its pro-class sound qualifies it also as extension for other premium converters.
The ADI-2 FS is equipped with two servo-balanced analog line inputs via XLR/phones combo jacks, simultaneously usable balanced XLR and unbalanced phone jacks, an adjustable High Power headphone output on the front, an ADAT compatible optical SPDIF I/O, and a coaxial SPDIF I/O (RCA, AES/EBU compatible). These extensive connectivity options provide most flexible and uncompromised signal transmission.

https://www.rme-audio.de/ADI-2-FS.html

JSmith

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not sure what you mean?

That's not the ADI-2 FS DAC that I mentioned though (and which Amir mentions in the video)... and pretty sure not the one Amir has.

Note there's 3 different ADI-2's

1629465999961.png

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Great review and thumbs up for Dan Clark Audio for making such an incredible design.

We need more companies that provide this kind of outstanding quality and it would be nice if future models will be more affordable.

If you think of it, it is a shame that big companies with big r&d departments can/will not produce products of this quality. It again is a small company that sets a benchmark in the industry.

Again all praise for Amir for showing this to us.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Big r&d departments require a lot of r in the d on how to support big r&d departments.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a large amount of politics and associated BS Iom this large companies. Often it is not a matter of budget but of vision. Xerox invented the GUI … IBM had the PC market… the list is long

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm , your enthusiasm certainly came through for this headphone in your video, it was good to see! I can see you were clearly impressed with it, I can sense that you do see it as ground breaking, and good points from 19:43 onwards where you talk about how it can be an inspiration for the industry (headphones and to lesser extent speakers) to aspire to in terms of using measurements and their own research/development in conjunction with what has already be learned at Harman. That same enthusiasm couldn't come through in your written review by nature of the medium, but you sincere enthusiasm for this headphone in the video came through in the video & gave extra weight to your impressions. I'd be super curious to be able to listen to this headphone just to see where I'm at in the audio world!

EDIT: (I like that you said in the other thread that you were looking into A-B'ing headphones during your review process, to be able to control your headphone listening experiences to a greater extent - comparisons with other headphones....but it does bode well for this headphone it seems, even it you were to compare it to other great headphones in the same listening session.....but it will be interesting to see how this develops in your reviews at some point in the future. Definitely seems that this is one headphone to keep hold of as a benchmark headphone for future comparisons!)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm

In this video you say you use balanced cables.

I use a simple adapter cable to go from balanced to 1/4 inch. This way I have the option to go back to balance when I need it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will aeon noire get a review too?
Not in the short term as I have so many other headphones piled up here. Once I get through them I will ask for a review sample.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That same enthusiasm couldn't come through in your written review by nature of the medium, but you sincere enthusiasm for this headphone in the video came through in the video & gave extra weight to your impressions.
I originally meant to put that in the text article. But couldn't because the announcement got pulled forward by multiple days. So I had to hurry and get something out. I also had a terrible headache so was not in the best mood to write subjectively. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
EDIT: (I like that you said in the other thread that you were looking into A-B'ing headphones during your review process, to be able to control your headphone listening experiences to a greater extent - comparisons with other headphones....but it does bode well for this headphone it seems, even it you were to compare it to other great headphones in the same listening session.....but it will be interesting to see how this develops in your reviews at some point in the future. Definitely seems that this is one headphone to keep hold of as a benchmark headphone for future comparisons!)
Given the low distortion and high compliance to target, this headphone will indeed provide a great reference.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I originally meant to put that in the text article. But couldn't because the announcement got pulled forward by multiple days. So I had to hurry and get something out. I also had a terrible headache so was not in the best mood to write subjectively. :)
Yeah, it doesn't matter, such enthusiasm is better in a video rather than written word anyway

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hello Amir, thank you for using the "OLED vs LCD" analogy to describe your experience. To me that is a really meaningful way of understanding what type of leap forward this headphone seems to bring. When I first saw the first OLED running in a shop - I spent 2 hours in front of not believing my eyes....then one of the salesmen came and threatened to throw me out because they wanted to close. So, I bought it!

tanglewire

Forum Donor
Amir, you always so skeptical, objective and scientific in your reviews and impresions. I really like you style and independency.
However, now with this Stealth, it seems to be you lose your mind and got very hype. Never saw this type of hype in any other of your reviews. Even in great products. It makes me wonder.... Is Amir the new Darko?. Don't change bro.. look out marketing machine!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However, now with this Stealth, it seems to be you lose your mind and got very hype. Never saw this type of hype in any other of your reviews. Even in great products. It makes me wonder.... Is Amir the new Darko?.
:) As I explained in my video, I am spoiled and blessed with so much good gear that not much impresses me. This headphone did. Will be fascinating to see if my excitement gets shared with others who buy it.

As I noted earlier, I traded thousands of dollars worth of hardware in order to buy the review sample. I listen to it constantly which I have not done with any other headphone.

As for Darko reference, you may have noticed a few headless and unimpressed panther reviews since. So no danger of me turning into him. :D

Top Bottom