• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 17.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.4%

• Total voters

RJO

I haven't had time to do a direct comparison. From memory, I say spatial qualities are better. Will do a close comparison later and report back.
Is it more comfortable to wear for long periods than the Stealth?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dan Clark interview where he talks about the headphone and its intentional bass bump (this topic starts at 13:10).

Last edited:

asrUser

I wonder why only Dan Clark loans headphones to amirm? Why doesn't Hifiman do it? @amirm ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I might sell my HD800, SR-007 and a few lesser 'phones for this, honestly. What's the point of having other ones when you can have performance like this? :)
That's some smart thinking! I would love a Stealth or a Expanse but it's not in the future for me unless I have some sort of epiphany or delusional thinking...lol

Snoopy

Major Contributor
4 grand for a headphone is laughable regardless of how it measures. there is nothing in materials that justifies this cost!

There are obviously other costs involved in this than material cost. Research, development, made in USA blah blah etc all costs money.

(I would pay 4k for a Dan Clark , Meze or audeze headphone but you wouldn't see me considering dropping 2k on something from Hifiman)
I wonder why only Dan Clark loans headphones to amirm? Why doesn't Hifiman do it? @amirm ?

Probably would have to send 2 pairs for higher chance that one actually has no channel Imbalance?

Madlop26

I almost bought the Stealth few days ago, now this, lol. Waiting eagerly for Amir's comparison, I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sure do hope there is a decent warranty on these and the Stealth models, wouldn't want to plunk down $4000 for just a year's coverage.
But damn, I sure would love a pair of these bad boys.

Gio

Forum Donor
Briliant ! but something with one less zero?

peanuts2

Time and effort are undoubtedly a factor in the end result and in the price too.
sure, you do have a point.
one problem is that people want to do their own thing and resist what is availible around them. collaberating knowledge and mass production is a good thing. how many millions of hours has been spent doing hifi research which is already complete by many others?
i can understand high prices for some time, but if they dont choose to grow and continue on this path i have no sympathy. they will sell expensive products to a small number of people for some time and possibly perish in the long term.
do you think this brand will be there 10 years from now and also asking the same high prices? i sure dont.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I wonder why Dan Clark loans to @amirm and not the attention getting snake oil magazines/ezines. Dan Clark has nothing to hide with his product and perhaps maybe HiFiMan does?
Oh I'm sure he'll loan his demo unit to everyone willing to review it. Dan Clark does marketing like everyone else.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like the aesthetic. I think it looks great.

I also like the Stealth. Which one one do you like more, aesthetically?
Expanse.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How is the deal tolerance on these? I know past ones would drop off pretty hard below 500hz. My head can never get a good deal.... Amazing timing though.
I assume you mean "seal" and not "deal." They seal very well on my head. That is all I can say. I am sure when more people buy them, they will report on this.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the Stealth model
z dca.png

Top Bottom