• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got mine and first minutes of listening are in. VERY nice indeed! First the sound was dull, but then I noticed to take the pads off. Next I will play with the ADI-2 eq...

quimbo

I have had the Aeon Closed for 2 weeks now and indeed they are nice headphones. I have not tried any of the inserts and may not for awhile

They also helped me confirm how good my vintage Sennheiser HD 540 Reference and AKG 240 Sextett MPs head phones sound.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have now set the eq except the high frequency reduction and can't really hear major differences, i.e. one can listen to these happily without any eq in my opinion -> this is a great achievement from any headphones! When I compare these to my Stax L300 Limited, they still win because of the open-airy-stax-sound. The HD58X can now go to a new owner... (hint!)

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Hi! I received the Aeon RT some days ago and tried it without eq and with amir‘s settings. I prefer the eq‘ed sound... especially voices sound much more natural imho.

greets, Sunny

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lead time is usually 4 weeks from time I get an item.
I'm going to buy either the open or closed version of this HP. Do you feel there will be significant differences in their measurements? I know I can return if dissatisfied but would prefer to not have the hassle of returning if possible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm going to buy either the open or closed version of this HP. Do you feel there will be significant differences in their measurements? I know I can return if dissatisfied but would prefer to not have the hassle of returning if possible.
I don't have any information but just guessing, I would say that if the headphone is open, it is going to act differently. So there is no assurance that they will measure the same.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any information but just guessing, I would say that if the headphone is open, it is going to act differently. So there is no assurance that they will measure the same.
Thank you. I have always preferred the sound of open but these certainly measure well.

ririt

I wonder if a BT portable amp like the Qudelix 5k will be ok to power the Aeon RT. Any feedback will be welcome.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I wonder if a BT portable amp like the Qudelix 5k will be ok to power the Aeon RT. Any feedback will be welcome.

It has just barely enough headroom in my opinion to power my Aeon Flow2 Closed.
1612512135870.png

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Do you think that there is more »comfortable » alternatives with the same kind of features (BT and EQ)?
I don't know off hand but I would guess many have the same limitations and most probably don't have the same power capabilities of the Qudelix 5k. In my opinion it gets the job done for a portable option but it would be nice to have something more powerful at home.

Coldsnap

Aeons have a great natural sound. But boy do they have about zero dynamics. To me they just sound really dead and compressed. Good timbre but really realy dead.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Aeons have a great natural sound. But boy do they have about zero dynamics. To me they just sound really dead and compressed. Good timbre but really realy dead.
Not sure we are listening to the same headphones. I have no issues with my Aeon2 Closed and compare them daily to my Focal Elear's which are known for their dynamic kick.

ririt

Not sure we are listening to the same headphones. I have no issues with my Aeon2 Closed and compare them daily to my Focal Elear's which are known for their dynamic kick.
Coldsnap and Tsanguine, which headphones amp are you using? if they are very different, can it explain your different listening experiences?

Veri

Master Contributor
Maybe he's talking about another Aeon than the 2 Closed. In any case I think the dampening on an individual model and the perceived 'dynamics' seem to highly correlate. One can tweak them to own preference though..

Top Bottom