• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali Spektor 1 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

nygafre

I do worry about that. I've been dreaming of something retro looking but I might just explore Dali's larger speakers..
My bet, when already into the Dali sound, would be to check out the Opticon 2/6’s mk2. Been at my dealer a couple times to check them out.

I tried the Spektors with the C-8 sub too, but enjoy the speakers pretty much as is.

Having KEF R3 Meta as my main speakers adds a bit of dilemma for me, as I often reach for the Spektors for some of my music. (But there is no contest in which is the best speaker).

Had the Spektor 2 for 6 months in a variety of rooms. I tried to like them, but didn't. With the other speakers I own, I often procrastinate getting up and doing other things, preferring instead to keep listening.

With the Spektor 2s I can stop listening anytime. Having sold them, I do not miss them.

I could not pinpoint any particular weakness about them. They just didn't engage me.

I bought them for the price, the What Hifi 5 star rating, and the strength of the Dali brand.
may i ask what youre speaker journey went to after this ?
this way i know what your prefered sound is, and if it reflects mine.
im doubting if i should buy dali;s

WDeranged

may i ask what youre speaker journey went to after this ?
this way i know what your prefered sound is, and if it reflects mine.
im doubting if i should buy dali;s

For the price I'd take the risk. Their strong points are a big soundstage and deeper bass than you'd expect for the size. I've got the Spektor 2s and they're more than I hoped they'd be.

For the price I'd take the risk. Their strong points are a big soundstage and deeper bass than you'd expect for the size. I've got the Spektor 2s and they're more than I hoped they'd be.
thank you, i think i might just go with the oberon 1s and a sub.. they are not too expensive at 300

No_hair_left

What does 30deg off axis mean? I own dali oberon 5 and have them toed in a little bit so that 0 - 30 is covering the 3 seats. Is this the correct way to do it or does 30 deg off axis means I need to have it so it just passes the middle seat from straight? I have them only .1.5ft away from side walls (10.5ft wide room so its very narrow) and was trying to avoid side wall reflections.

Also these are small floorstanders and my ears position is a good 7 inches higher then the tweeters. I sit 7ft away and they are 7ft apart, would I benefit from raising them to be more inline to my ears? or would it mess with the sound as they are maybe designed to be on the floor? I only use them in a home theater setting with the oberon vokal center. Was looking at maybe swapping them out for the 1961s bookshelfs but they are out of stock and never coming back it seems.

nygafre

What does 30deg off axis mean? I own dali oberon 5 and have them toed in a little bit so that 0 - 30 is covering the 3 seats. Is this the correct way to do it or does 30 deg off axis means I need to have it so it just passes the middle seat from straight? I have them only .1.5ft away from side walls (10.5ft wide room so its very narrow) and was trying to avoid side wall reflections.

Also these are small floorstanders and my ears position is a good 7 inches higher then the tweeters. I sit 7ft away and they are 7ft apart, would I benefit from raising them to be more inline to my ears? or would it mess with the sound as they are maybe designed to be on the floor? I only use them in a home theater setting with the oberon vokal center. Was looking at maybe swapping them out for the 1961s bookshelfs but they are out of stock and never coming back it seems.
I’ve always found Dalis to sound best when seated a bit above tweeter height. Measurements also indicate to preferably be seated at or above the tweeter-level.

As per the Dali instructions the speakers usually work best when positioned to fire straight ahead from the wall, ie not pointing directly at you. You can always experiment to what sounds best.. I measured my Spektor 2’s firing straight ahead (off axis), and then pointed directly at me (on axis), and the measurements indeed showed elevated highs when pointed towards me. The response was more or less spot on when firing straight ahead. So for me it is firing straight ahead, and ear level a bit above the tweeters. The way I had them positioned left me even higher than 7 inches above the speakers.

No_hair_left

I’ve always found Dalis to sound best when seated a bit above tweeter height. Measurements also indicate to preferably be seated at or above the tweeter-level.

As per the Dali instructions the speakers usually work best when positioned to fire straight ahead from the wall, ie not pointing directly at you. You can always experiment to what sounds best.. I measured my Spektor 2’s firing straight ahead (off axis), and then pointed directly at me (on axis), and the measurements indeed showed elevated highs when pointed towards me. The response was more or less spot on when firing straight ahead. So for me it is firing straight ahead, and ear level a bit above the tweeters. The way I had them positioned left me even higher than 7 inches above the speakers.
Interesting I may have to try pointing them straight then maybe just treating the reflection points. I do feel like I need to raise mine a little bit though as the soundstage does seem lowered compared to the tv.

Last edited:

nygafre

Interesting I may have to try pointing them straight then maybe just treating the reflection points. I do feel like I need to raise mine a little bit though as the soundstage does seem lowered compared to the tv.
Yeah, I would also do what seems/sounds best regarding height.

The scale is too big on this photo I have on my phone, but here you see my measurements from the Spektor 2’s firing straight ahead (teal) and when positioned towards me (purple). Some difference in the highs there, the teal curve should be the preferable unless you want elevated highs :)
Dali_toe in.jpeg

Assuming the Oberons share similar characteristics in their freq response.

Top Bottom