• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali Oberon

discy

I really like the Dali Oberons. Though I've got the Oberon 7's,
As I cannot pull them out of the rear wall without obstructing walk-way, I plugged the back bassports with some tightly winded towels.

I've had B&W and Wharfedale before these. The wide sound the dali's provide stand out to me.
I would recommend them for $1000 - if you plug the bassports or have the space. Without they will get boomy.

20210903_021717_2.jpg

CyBorek

I have my Dali Oberon 7s for 1,5 year. Playing in my living room with dining area (~33m2 with a fireplace on left wall). I love the wide stage, great vocals and pretty solid bass. Source is Tidal HiFi or Amazon UHD Music fed via Wiim Mini Toslink to Soncoz LA-QXD1 connected by XLR to SMSL-DA9 (SDB on). But I have this DAC/AMP combo for over a year and looking for a change. I am thinking about switching to:
1. Dirac: Arcam Sa30 (class G 130W/8Ohm)
2. Dirac:
IMG_20221031_220326.jpg
dspMini flex balanced + soncoz SGP1 amp (130W/8Ohm)
3. Marantz 40n
4. (Budget version) Sabaj A30A (FDA 100W/8Ohm)

Long goal is to change Oberons to Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G as they are very interesting speakers at least a grade higher then Oberons.

WiimMini will start in every scenario as it is hell of a streamer for toslink transport.

Any hints what solution would you takeand why? Maybe some alternatives?

Last edited:

StefanSweden

I dont speaker german or is very skilled at reading graphs. I have Dali Oberon 1 and Im fiddleing with the crossover to blend in my sb-1000 pro. From the graphs, when does the Oberon roll off at - 3db? I first had the crossover at 80hz but the sound was a it boomy. Lowered to 70hz and I think it sounds better.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont speaker german or is very skilled at reading graphs. I have Dali Oberon 1 and Im fiddleing with the crossover to blend in my sb-1000 pro. From the graphs, when does the Oberon roll off at - 3db? I first had the crossover at 80hz but the sound was a it boomy. Lowered to 70hz and I think it sounds better.
In room, at about 30Hz from those measurements.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be setting it lower if you can't high pass the mains.

StefanSweden

I'd be setting it lower if you can't high pass the mains.
My amp can high pass the mains and low pass the sub. So now the sub Plays 70hz and below and the mains 70hz and above.

AlexanderM

I've heard the Oberon 5's and liked them, if I were to buy I'd get the Oberon 7's.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My amp can high pass the mains and low pass the sub. So now the sub Plays 70hz and below and the mains 70hz and above.
Personally then I'd be crossing over at a higher frequency (around 100Hz) if the sub response goes that high (Id expect it to).

Though this would also depend on an ability to equalise which should (if it is any good) eliminate the boominess. Does your amp have some sort of room eq built in?

StefanSweden

Personally then I'd be crossing over at a higher frequency (around 100Hz) if the sub response goes that high (Id expect it to).

Though this would also depend on an ability to equalise which should (if it is any good) eliminate the boominess. Does your amp have some sort of room eq built in?
Unfortunately not. At first I had the crossover at 80hz, but felt the sub sounded a bit boomy even when I dialed down the gain. When I set it a 70hz it sounds subjectivley better.

Hopefully I can have a friend over with a mic and REW.

anarchist

I'm having Oberons 7 currently, compared to Focal Aria 936 they are less bright, likely due to soft tweeter. Dali's sound stage is enormous, I have not experienced such thing from Kefs, Focals or Sonus Fabers, it's especially shocking considering how small and light these are. Definitely less punchy bass, than Arias, and less efficient, I run them 3-4 Db higher volume than Focals.
Nevertheless they can be bright with sibilance on some materials, normally pop/rock variety, I just suspect these are problematic recordings really, and having warmer tuned speakers just masks these problems, while Dalis are revealing (same as Focals).
Too bad they are so expensive now, looks like price has doubled compared to just 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom